Rolled up leaf edges new and old growth

• Thread starter Ronnie88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Ronnie88

Second time havin this problem. The leaf edges of new and old growth curl up on itself.

Happened last round in hp promix and again in cocotek coir.

Gh three part micro 5 grow 5 bloom 7 cal mag 5 rapid start 2.5
Ph 5.8

I'm only 1 week in to veg. Last round I had a mag deficiency around week 1 flower so I foliar sprayed these guys with a calmag mix. Anyways here's some pics I can't find something similar.

Rolled up leaf edges new and old growth
Rolled up leaf edges new and old growth 2
purpleberry

purpleberry

Looks like over feeding . Id suggest rooting the smaller plants out in a smaller container, Looks like you planted a rooted clone in a 2-3g pot? It takes a while for the plant to fill the pot with roots and the fertilizer is building up in your soil.
What ppm are you feeding?
How often are you watering?
Add as much detail as possible about what your doing will help get you better answers.
Measure the ppm of your run off next watering and use just water. Id guess your going to see 1800+ Id back off fert half way after 1 or 2 flushes and go back up from there.

R

Ronnie88

500 ppm. 3 gal pots. Watered till runoff when transplanted. Watered again 7 days later. Plants are pale green. Only 25 percent have these canoed leaf edges. I noticed some leaves have a blotchy look to them. I'd be surprised if they were overfert, I've seen what that looks like although that was in later stages of growth.

The first round I had here I never had this problem in the same size pots. I just had an idea that the root system might be weak right now and they are losing more moisture than they can suck up.

Rh 60-70 percent room temp at canopy level 80-83 f.

I won't be watering again till I see roots at the drain holes. I agree with you though, Next time ill be rooting up in something smaller.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Hmm... My first guess, MAG deficiency. Praying leaves are usually the give away. Though sometimes it stems from humidity/temp issue, it looks like you have those dialed. If you're 1 week into veg and they're pale green try up'ing the feedings to see where your IN/OUT numbers go. 500ppms in, out, or both?

Worst case, set them into a tub and flush the fuck out of them and restart the feeding schedule.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
What strain is it? I get this on my OG's and OG hybrids from time to time.

R

Ronnie88

Haven't tested the run off yet.

Half Purple kush and the other half purple god

I've foliar fed mag 3 times now. Bit worried about locking it out.

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

5.8 ph water could be locking out mag and cal and all others will follow if soil Ph gets lower than that. I think Phosporus is locked out at 5.5 have any leafs dropping off yet? The fans that are curling like that may start to turn brown and die along with the whole leaf darkening.

R

Ronnie88

I read 5.8 ph is the standard for coco and to increase slightly closer to harvest to make nitrogen less available.

No leafs are dropping or turning brown. I think my roots just need a super boost in growth. Excited for my caps bennies to arrive.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I hate to contradict my highly esteemed brothers here, but I disagree in some part with the previous assessments.

I see nothing that indicates a Mg-, and if it were a Mg- then giving a foliar, which is fine for just about any age plant IMO/IME, then the foliar applications would have stopped the effects you're observing. Also, you would be seeing yellowing of lowers first, IME.

Growing in coir, and for coir he wants a pH of between 5.8-6.2. I do think you should be letting the pH range instead of keeping it pegged at 5.8.

Two things are going to reliably cause the leaf edges to turn like that, one I've experienced plenty of times and the other I never have and hope I never will. The first is vapor pressure deficit--too hot and too DRY. Lowering temps, or if they're in range then increasing humidity will change the leaf aspect. The other thing that I've seen that causes that, but not experienced myself, are broad mites. If those were my plants, I'd be scoping them very closely, 100x magnification, to rule out anything like broad mites.

Reading your subsequent posts, the VPD shouldn't be too far off in this scenario, but you might want to try raising RH a bit anyway.

I'd be scoping those girls REALLY hard, myself. Because that doesn't look like a deficiency. Yeah... looking at them again, scope those girls. I don't think it's overfeeding, especially at something like a .5-.8 EC (going off my really bad mathematical calculations, I've become accustomed to EC instead of ppm)? I don't think the VPD is too far off, and I don't think it's the media or the feed being too strong, in fact, if they're pale green it'd be a fairly clear indicator they need more food, not less, especially N. It's hard to say with HPS-yellow pix and not knowing whether or not they may be infested with broad mites.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

That would be shitty to find broad's...

Cap's packs will save you! Don't be afraid to foliar with that..

Chobble

Chobble

I hate to contradict my highly esteemed brothers here, but I disagree in some part with the previous assessments.

I see nothing that indicates a Mg-, and if it were a Mg- then giving a foliar, which is fine for just about any age plant IMO/IME, then the foliar applications would have stopped the effects you're observing. Also, you would be seeing yellowing of lowers first, IME.

Growing in coir, and for coir he wants a pH of between 5.8-6.2. I do think you should be letting the pH range instead of keeping it pegged at 5.8.

Two things are going to reliably cause the leaf edges to turn like that, one I've experienced plenty of times and the other I never have and hope I never will. The first is vapor pressure deficit--too hot and too DRY. Lowering temps, or if they're in range then increasing humidity will change the leaf aspect. The other thing that I've seen that causes that, but not experienced myself, are broad mites. If those were my plants, I'd be scoping them very closely, 100x magnification, to rule out anything like broad mites.

Reading your subsequent posts, the VPD shouldn't be too far off in this scenario, but you might want to try raising RH a bit anyway.

I'd be scoping those girls REALLY hard, myself. Because that doesn't look like a deficiency. Yeah... looking at them again, scope those girls. I don't think it's overfeeding, especially at something like a .5-.8 EC (going off my really bad mathematical calculations, I've become accustomed to EC instead of ppm)? I don't think the VPD is too far off, and I don't think it's the media or the feed being too strong, in fact, if they're pale green it'd be a fairly clear indicator they need more food, not less, especially N. It's hard to say with HPS-yellow pix and not knowing whether or not they may be infested with broad mites.

I have to agree with maiden.

First off, Start by fixing your environmental problems.

It looks like your cooking your babies. You dont want to do that. I keep my veg room at 75 F and 50% RH (A lot of people go higher, I hate mold and mold accesories). It works well, I'm not using HID lighting though. Your media is also looks a little dry to me, but that may be the pictures. Plants take up nutrients via osmotic pressure. You can easily dry them out by creating an environment where that pressure is turned upside down.

Basically Wet media to support a dryer room works, but that only works if...

Secondly,

Your Media is balanced. You need to make sure that your media is doing a bit of a pH swing. Especially in veg. Go flush your media out and start new.

Run at about 50 PPM N to get the clones going ,because a lot of that will build up in the soil the first week. Then begin upping your nutrient regiment as you notice the plants being happier and healthier.

tl;dr...

Fix your environment so your plant doesn't dry out and in turn your nutrient up take problems should start turning around. The real answer to your problem may be to upgrade buy yourself some 25's or 16's and just root in those then upgrade, thats what I do most of the time. It saves a lot of space while your getting plants to that "Lets kick ass and grow stage".

Chobble

R

Ronnie88

Will be scoping for broads today. Ill drop temps a bit and keep the rh around 70 and see what happens. Most are thriving, just about 25 percent have this problem and its no isolated to areas directly under the bulbs. Pots still have plenty of weight to them so I'm not in any rush to water them yet.

R

Ronnie88

Tested soil ph and ppms in one pot using distilled water.

Ph 6.8 and ppms 20 of distilled water

After mixing sample medium at a 1:5 ratio
Ph 6.3 ppms 80

Ppms seem really low to me. I'm going to test another pot.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Tested soil ph and ppms in one pot using distilled water.

Ph 6.8 and ppms 20 of distilled water

After mixing sample medium at a 1:5 ratio
Ph 6.3 ppms 80

Ppms seem really low to me. I'm going to test another pot.

And you're in coir???
6.8 is way too high...
Lately I ran an off brand of peat and off brand of coco, both had feeding issues with HIGH ph and ppm runoff.

R

Ronnie88

Yes in cocotek gh coir. 6.8 ph and 20 ppm was the reading of my distilled water before taking the sample reading. So I added some coco from the pot half way down and mixed it in the distilled water and the resulting ph was 6.3 and 80 ppm. So I'm guessing actual ph is close to 6 for the medium.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Yes in cocotek gh coir. 6.8 ph and 20 ppm was the reading of my distilled water before taking the sample reading. So I added some coco from the pot half way down and mixed it in the distilled water and the resulting ph was 6.3 and 80 ppm. So I'm guessing actual ph is close to 6 for the medium.

Gotcha...
Well if your meters are accurate it certainly seems as though your ladies are under fed.

R

Ronnie88

Which is weird since I've fed them twice since transplant at 500 ppm. Once on the day of planting and the last one which was Monday. So they've had 500 ppm first day. Then 7 days later another feed and now it's 3 days since then. Coco is still wet half way down.

R

Ronnie88

Well after seeing 100 ppm in the medium I decided to feed them yesterday. 5.8 ph and ppms came to 1000 for nutes. Gave em all a quick 5 second squirt. Today they are standin straight up. New growth looks healthy, slight twisting I assume from the burst in growth.

Chobble

Chobble

Looking good, the curling in the new growth isnt the best sign, but I think your definitely moving in the right direction. Keep pictures coming but I think the plants will begin to grow vigorously with better environmental and media conditions.

Chobble

Top Bottom