Romulan Experts

• Thread starter romulan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

romulan

I am in the middle of a romulan grow which is going fine . My question is to Romulan Growing experts on the description of the plant. I aquired the Romulan seeds through a Medical Marijuana dispensary. So really I have no way of knowing if I have Romulan or a Mix of Romulan or another strain. From all descriptions of the strain so far I believe it is Romulan of some sort. My plant basically fits the Romulan description. It has been flowering for about 2 weeks now. The flowers initially are almost a milky white which quickly adapt a bright reddish pinkish color as the flower matures. Is this Romulan , a Romulan mix, or another strain. Thanks!

B

Bubble Puppy

smell it.Does it smell really sweet? If so your one step closer to id'ng it:):beer:beer:beer:beer:beer:beer

M

moggggys

ive grown rom but im far from an expert

on hg420 there were 3 of us who brought and grew out rom all at the same time , shaggy , myself and P-UNIT , between us we concluded its total hype and a real bitch to grow , sorry

romulan is a clone only strain so any rom in seed form that isnt an S1 has been mixed

R

romulan

It smells skunky...super skunky ! Again the seeds were in a 1/4 I purchased at a dispensary 2 years back. The flower again is almost a raspberry bright pinkish red...which has a very skunky odor! Mogggys did the Romulan you grew have reddish purple flowers? I have grown Romulan 2 years in a row (outdoors) with no problem and averaged over 3 ounces per plant in a 3 gallon pt. I love the devestating couch lock that pappa Romulan Tapouts me with! Thanks again in advance!

R

RedSky

Romulan Origins

Romulan was created by a guy named Romulan Joe once known as Mendocino Joe who was one of the founders of the Trinity grow scene. Romulan is a mostly afghani hybrid not related to Sk#1. It is very popular with the marijuana medical scene because of it's potency for treating chronic pain. There are a few banks that carry the strain and it's hybrids. Federation had the original clone, and 97% pure seed form. Next Generation has many of Federation's strains including Romulan. Reeferman has Romulan and it's hybrids. Marc Emery used to have a Romulan x White Widow cross that was very popular. I have seen pics of this Rom/WW hybrid, and they are truly amazing with almost purple look, super thick buds, and with crystals all over the entire plant! Another hybrids that was popular was Romberry (Romulan x BlueBerry)with it's exotic taste and awesome purple colors! Subcool seeds has a C99 x Romulan cross called Space Queen.

In the old days whenever someone mentioned Romulan, the talk of California Blue Indicas comes up. I am not sure what Blue Indica means, but they get mentioned. I know Romulan is mostly of Afghan origin, but I would like to know what the other genetics of the plant are. Maybe there is a little Paki/Hindu Kush or Lebanese hashplant mixed in. General concensus says that it is not entirely Afghan, and that it has more sativa in it than a landrace Afghan or Hindu Kush. I am thinking that it is slightly under 15%-10% sativa. Since it has a lot of purple coloring, it may have a little Colombian Green, Red, or Black in it. There is talk of it maybe having a very little amount of mexican genetics in it as well, maybe Oaxacan. People tried to grow these late flowering equatorial sativas outdoors up north with little sucess until Afghan seeds arrived. That's my specualtion. It may have a little haze crossed in, but I think that Northern Lights has the claim on the multiple Afghan x (Afghan x Haze) cross.

Federation acquired a strain from Romulan Joe (A Vietnam Vet/East Bay Biker) from California and grew it on Vancouver island. It was given to them in clone form. I guess that Federation crossed it with White Rhino to get seeds. They backcrossed it 11 times backwards to the original clone. They favored backcrossed plants that were the largest & most robust while still finishing within 8 weeks flowering time. Federation's seeds are 97% like the orig clone. Now it has been inbred ever since, and it is good breeding material to cross other plants with.

The overall structure of the plant is short and stocky. They said it can get a very branchy compared to other afghan/indicas, and it isn't the best choice for SOG. The color of the buds and leaves are very dark green with a thick structure. Leaves are wide. The stems on the plant turn purple. I'd imagine that maybe other parts of plant will start to turn purp near the end of harvest time. The plant is pretty frosted in that some stems have crystals on them. The yields mentioned are 30g-60g per plant indoors, up to 250g outside. Since it is almost all indica and an IBL, it doesn't have hybrid vigor and the sativa stretch in flowering that other strains tend to have. I have seen growers get a little more yields out of the plant. Federation says Rom can foster mold near harvest time if you are in a humid environment.

Federation claims Romulan as it's strongest strain potency wise. It was nicknamed Romulan because "the high can put a dent in your head". Most people claim that the high is a little more clearer thinking than most indicas, but still strong enough to Kick Your Ass. The smells are pretty strong ranging from a pungent piney to an acrid fruity/pepper smell.

:)Peace

R

romulan

Wow thankyou for that history of Romulan. I am sure what I have is Romulan from the descriptions. I planted Romulan, and Northern Lights x Haze around Mid May of this year the NL x H went into bloom in mid August and the Romulan started about the start of September. I thank you again for that informative history of Romulan.

T

teddyb

Romulan Origins

Romulan was created by a guy named Romulan Joe once known as Mendocino Joe who was one of the founders of the Trinity grow scene. Romulan is a mostly afghani hybrid not related to Sk#1. It is very popular with the marijuana medical scene because of it's potency for treating chronic pain. There are a few banks that carry the strain and it's hybrids. Federation had the original clone, and 97% pure seed form. Next Generation has many of Federation's strains including Romulan. Reeferman has Romulan and it's hybrids. Marc Emery used to have a Romulan x White Widow cross that was very popular. I have seen pics of this Rom/WW hybrid, and they are truly amazing with almost purple look, super thick buds, and with crystals all over the entire plant! Another hybrids that was popular was Romberry (Romulan x BlueBerry)with it's exotic taste and awesome purple colors! Subcool seeds has a C99 x Romulan cross called Space Queen.

In the old days whenever someone mentioned Romulan, the talk of California Blue Indicas comes up. I am not sure what Blue Indica means, but they get mentioned. I know Romulan is mostly of Afghan origin, but I would like to know what the other genetics of the plant are. Maybe there is a little Paki/Hindu Kush or Lebanese hashplant mixed in. General concensus says that it is not entirely Afghan, and that it has more sativa in it than a landrace Afghan or Hindu Kush. I am thinking that it is slightly under 15%-10% sativa. Since it has a lot of purple coloring, it may have a little Colombian Green, Red, or Black in it. There is talk of it maybe having a very little amount of mexican genetics in it as well, maybe Oaxacan. People tried to grow these late flowering equatorial sativas outdoors up north with little sucess until Afghan seeds arrived. That's my specualtion. It may have a little haze crossed in, but I think that Northern Lights has the claim on the multiple Afghan x (Afghan x Haze) cross.

Federation acquired a strain from Romulan Joe (A Vietnam Vet/East Bay Biker) from California and grew it on Vancouver island. It was given to them in clone form. I guess that Federation crossed it with White Rhino to get seeds. They backcrossed it 11 times backwards to the original clone. They favored backcrossed plants that were the largest & most robust while still finishing within 8 weeks flowering time. Federation's seeds are 97% like the orig clone. Now it has been inbred ever since, and it is good breeding material to cross other plants with.

The overall structure of the plant is short and stocky. They said it can get a very branchy compared to other afghan/indicas, and it isn't the best choice for SOG. The color of the buds and leaves are very dark green with a thick structure. Leaves are wide. The stems on the plant turn purple. I'd imagine that maybe other parts of plant will start to turn purp near the end of harvest time. The plant is pretty frosted in that some stems have crystals on them. The yields mentioned are 30g-60g per plant indoors, up to 250g outside. Since it is almost all indica and an IBL, it doesn't have hybrid vigor and the sativa stretch in flowering that other strains tend to have. I have seen growers get a little more yields out of the plant. Federation says Rom can foster mold near harvest time if you are in a humid environment.

Federation claims Romulan as it's strongest strain potency wise. It was nicknamed Romulan because "the high can put a dent in your head". Most people claim that the high is a little more clearer thinking than most indicas, but still strong enough to Kick Your Ass. The smells are pretty strong ranging from a pungent piney to an acrid fruity/pepper smell.

:)Peace

thanks for the read! :cool

J

JonsiMan

I am in the middle of a romulan grow which is going fine . My question is to Romulan Growing experts on the description of the plant. I aquired the Romulan seeds through a Medical Marijuana dispensary. So really I have no way of knowing if I have Romulan or a Mix of Romulan or another strain. From all descriptions of the strain so far I believe it is Romulan of some sort. My plant basically fits the Romulan description. It has been flowering for about 2 weeks now. The flowers initially are almost a milky white which quickly adapt a bright reddish pinkish color as the flower matures. Is this Romulan , a Romulan mix, or another strain. Thanks!

So I am not a Romulan expert, but I am interested in Romulan. Do you know of or have you heard of any other way to get dem seeds.

S

sumotide

Romulan IS crossed with Afghan... the other strain is Acapulco gold. Romulan is also an older strain (approx. 20-25 yrs). The easiest way to tell if you have a Romulan plant is to look at the plants cellular membrane thickness. Romulan generally has a thinner cellular membrane. Romulan also likes warmer environments (86-93 degrees Far.) which explains the thinner membranes. Also, THC acts as the a/c unit for the plant. If you have high waxy build up ALL over the plant.... You have Rom.

Kuntjoose

Kuntjoose

Not sure if any1 else caught the description of Romulan from federation but here it is real quick.
Federation purchased Romulan as a complete strain in 1996in an attempt to rescue it from extinction. In the 1970s, this variety was brought from Califronia to British Columbia by a Vietnam veteran, where it was grown on Vancouver Island. This variety was nicknamed Romulan after people joked that the high "could dent your head," producing ridges like those of Star Trek's warrior-like race with the same name.

Federation acquired Romulan in the form of clones, so she was entirely female. After crossing it with a Cannabis Cup prize winner, a White Rhino male, breeders ar Federation backcrossed 11 times to stabilize the variety at a 97 percent pure Romulan hybrid. Selections at each backcross favored the biggest, most robust plants over the fastest, although the finishing time remains around a very acceptable 8 weeks. Romulan seeds are now homogenous and have an improved robustness and yield as a result.

I might just be kinda nerdy here but Romulans arent reall known to have "dented" foreheads or really any forehead deformations of anykind. Although there are reported cases of protruding brow ridge lines but that would the extent. Which leads me to the conclusion that it should have been call Klingon due to that fact that the Klingons have "dented" and highly deformed foreheads. Now i dunno if this really why it was called what it was or not but if so it should be changed.
Once again i would just like to apologize for my extreme nerdyness.:banana1sv6:

joeca1i

joeca1i

Can't find federations beans anywhere.I always wanted to grow out their mikado.

G

Green Supreme

Hoping we have recently found this cut. Have been in contact with Joe and it seems he may be getting his old cut back soon. Fingers crossed. Seems sad the man doesn't have his own cut. Peace GS

B

bigbag

Is Joe even old enough 2 b a vietnam vet ? I've been told, not...

G

Green Supreme

Hey man its not my story, but a story all the same teehee. Just cuz it's written, doesn't mean it's true. Will try get the real story when, I see him later this month. Peace GS

ps. will update the "Romulan" tonight in my Green's thread

M

mrcharli3

why does cali alway some how get automatically named the place all good herb is from??lol not dis'n anybody but the is a HUGE confusion of the origins of strain and we should be 100% positive before we say here it is linked also;

http://en.seedfinder.eu/strain-info/Romulan/Next_Generation_Seed_Company/

The Romulan by Next Generation Seed Company is made with the original `Romulan Joe` Romulan cutting. They have kept it alive since recieving it from Joe almost 10 years ago. The male is an 8th generation Backcross that was selected from a large seed run(500 seeds). At this time most of the Romulan crosses are with this strong male, the flavour and potency of the Romulan is very dominant in its crosses. However, the growing structure tends to follow that of the female parent making for more potent better producing hybrids. There are plans on producing more crosses with the original Romulan cutting very soon. Romulan has beautiful colors in cooler temperatures.

Roumours and guesses on the parentage of Romulan abound. Claims that the Romulan is a pure Indica (Afgani/Kush) are mistaken. While there may be some genetics from Indica (Afgani) varieties, anyone who has tryed the Romulan knows that the mind warping effect is that of plant with strong sativa traits. `Romulan Joe` and I have had many conversations on the origin of this strain. According to him the original breeders started growing in there backyard and greenhouse in the 50`s, after being introduced to cannabis in the Korean war and bringing home seeds to Victoria. They struggled to grow and acclimatise these seeds selecting the faster flowering shorter plants from the tall lanky Korean strain. When the late sixties, early seventies rolled around they began trying Columbian and Mexician seeds and hybredized varieties from these. In the mid 80`s when the Afgani strains sweept into North America they breifly tried hybredizing with these but eventually when back to selecting the traits they liked in there old genetics. They worked mainly with Sativa genetics but always selected shorter squatter phenotypes which has made many people think that it is purely Indica strain. But whatever its true geniology is, I`m sure we can all agree on its great taste and high.

Over the last few years NGSC has grown several seed varieties from Columbia and has reported on one the was remarkably simular in flavour and affect as the romulan, but grows tall like a sativa. It was a Columbian Red variety that is now the basis for the new seeds A.D.D. from thier Gold Seal Collection, very heady strain. This has brought more circumstantial evidence that leads us to believe that the Romulan has a strong Columbian influence.

G

Green Supreme

That's funny shit dude. You posted the lineage of Federation/NG Romulan. That one is a real good story teehee. Peace GS

Top Bottom