ROOKIE MOVE: I shocked my plants. Help.

• Thread starter mcerdajr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mcerdajr

mcerdajr

Ok so it was like 100 degrees out here in san jose for like 4 days straight, and me and my experimental self decided to put ice cubs on the soil while i water the plant so that the plants can cool off i guess? I dont even know what i was thinking. Well anyways, now one of my plants looks like its about to die, although its still holding on for dear life, and the other is leaning over a substantial amount. it seems the shock has weekend the roots and stem? im not sure. another thing is that all three plants have begun to give off 3 bladed leaves. why? and i'm starting to see small buds forming, but the plants are way too small to start budding, plus its the middle of summer. so... can i get some advice? Ill post pictures up later on tonight. Thanks in advance.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Overwatered, let them dry out.

The triple-lobed leaves are most often a sign of photoperiod confusion (hormonal confusion) about whether the plant should be vegging or flowering.

S

Sunbiz1

Overwatered, let them dry out.

The triple-lobed leaves are most often a sign of photoperiod confusion (hormonal confusion) about whether the plant should be vegging or flowering.

(hormonal confusion)

Are we talking plants here, or my ex-wife?....j/k!

J

JCashman

the worst thing u can do at this point is try a bunch of different stuff to fix the problem, you usually will end up making things worse.

these ladies can endure lots of punishment, so get her back on her regular regiment, and things should be ok.

and no more lil polar bears in the grow room (i kid!)

PS- on a side note, if its flowering, and u didn't switch the lights to 12/12 then, you are playing with Autos or it's not actually flowering.

Goodluck :cool0041:
JC

E

Elite Nugs

You said its been over 100 degrees and you mentioned the middle of summer. So Im assuming your growing outdoors.

You should always try and water your plants with the same temperature water as what the growing medium is at. Plants dont cool themselves off by having a glass of ice water, they transpire (sweet, like we do). The humidity has been pretty low as well in these parts, so your plants are really struggling to keep cool and hydrated. If you have something that you can put over your plants that will shade them, while still letting plenty of light through, I would give that a shot.

Then make sure to give them plenty of water. I have plants outside in 15 gallon pots right now, not too far from you and the girls are drinking up water like crazy. I have to water them every morning.

Plants are similar to people. If you were standing out in the 100+ degree heat and someone threw a bucket of ice water on you... you'd probably go into an initial shock, then after a while become use to it. So you gave your plants a nice little shock. So ditch the ice and just add water.

As for the flowering, we're over 14 hours of light right now, so you'r girls shouldnt be flowering, unless like JCash said above, you may have any auto strain or a crazy Sativa. 3 leaf sets are a sign of a plant coming out of flowering, but there also a sign of stress.

So just keep them hydrated, and give them a little mist with a spray bottle from time to time. Humidity where I am was at 11% today. So with the 105 degree weather and the 11% humidity, the plants are not enjoying this very much. Also you plant leaning is a sign that your under watering it. When you under water in environments like this, first your leaves will droop, then your entire plant will start to lean. So get a stake and tie it to where it stands back up straight. And if you continue to under water it, you'll more then likely end up with a plant that will break off from its trunk.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
But, overwatering looks exactly like underwatering. You're advising that he give more water when it's already been watered...?

San Jose, while it can certainly get hot, is coastal. If it's anything like SoCal, then in the mornings you get that marine layer. Watering more, if those are the true environmental conditions, is the worst thing he could do. I don't think San Jose will ever experience 11% RH like people in the Inland Empire experience, so again I feel it's likely a different beast because transpiration will be hindered by the actual RH in San Jose, thusly leading back to the plant being overwatered if care is not taken.

Of course, a couple of pictures could tell a thousand words for everyone trying to help, and at this point pix or an idea of the moisture levels in the soil would go a loooong way toward preventing further issues. I've seen more people kill more plants by overwatering than almost anything else EXCEPT over-feeding.

E

Elite Nugs

Overwatering, leafs droop. Underwatering, leafs sag lifelessly. They dont look exactly the same. And unless your watering every single day in 105+ heat, your probably not giving them enough water. I have plants in 15 gallon pots and they only make it through 2 days before they completely dry out and start to die from lack of water. On cooler days, I can easily go 3-4+ days between watering.

So in heat thats over 105, I highly doubt that he's over watering his plants. Unless he's flooding them 2-3 times a day. But hey... you never know without more information, right?

S

smokestack23

If they were doing just fine before the ice incident...and that's the only thing that changed..and they were healthy and happy prior...It was the ICE!

Just continue watering like you were when they were happy and let them recover from the ice bath. I don't know why we're arguing about over or under watering.

Kinda like getting a flat tire and trying to fix it by changing the oil, replacing the fanbelt...

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Overwatering, leafs droop. Underwatering, leafs sag lifelessly.

true that.

simple check is to pick up the container, if its light as fuck then you know.

if leaves are sagging and the container is heavy probably overwatered, at least thats how I do it :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom