Rookie Needs Help With Trichomes Pic

• Thread starter 420.hydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420.hydro

420.hydro

High everyone
i have a picture of the trichomes and I need some help with my first grow. i wondering if she's ready or approx eta. I need to be able to flush her before harvest (and maybe do the splitting of the base to maximize yield and produce nice dense flowers)

i'm way off schedule because she started out in a hydro system and i almost lost her duiring a nut change and i placed her (Celeste btw) in coco and nursed her back to a healthy young adult...when alls said and done she's probably approx 3 weeks behind and has been in flower about the same (i got flustered when she got sick and slacked in my journal keeping thinking she wouldn't survive...sorry won't happen again)

Sooo I know any answer will be an educated guestimate but how long before the trichomes cloud up and should i start flushing her?

Trics pics
Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
2 weeks or less to go.
Don’t stem split, does nothing this close to harvest.
Start flush as soon as You see few cloudy trichomes , harvest as 20% cloudy for the heavy hitter or at 5% Amber for the racy high.
Or let her turn amber 60> % for that couch lock but not any longer as thc degrades at amber over 50%

420.hydro

420.hydro

2 weeks or less to go.
Start flush as soon as You see few cloudy trichomes , harvest as 20% cloudy for the heavy hitter or at 5% Amber for the racy high.
Or let her turn amber 60> % for that couch lock but not any longer as thc degrades at amber over 50%
Thanks for the input!!! In the future when should I split the stem? Do you have an example of cloudy trichomes because I'd say I have some cloudy trichomes...is it just the heads I should be looking at?

Madmax

Madmax

You dont.why damage a healthy plant from growing to its potential..i dont see all the good growers doing this...you can do it if you like...

Look at the calxs to see if cloudy..i think your right i see cloudy .like jack said shes most likely under 2 weeks to go ..

Monster762

Monster762

Thanks for the input!!! In the future when should I split the stem? Do you have an example of cloudy trichomes because I'd say I have some cloudy trichomes...is it just the heads I should be looking at?
Heads are main thing but you do have nice cloudy trichs. I’d be pushing clean water only now. They will ripen more when nutes are gone. Cloudy is highest thc. Yieldwise go little amber but your most potent bud is actually just before amber. As far as thc. Amber is a sign of degradation of the trich ( collapsing next) the heads will be dark amber n look popped. Flat. I’d drop temps a bit start your clean water flush
dark period before chop? You could push little more but like jack oh said 2 weeks I think it’ll be right right.

Madbud

Madbud

Imo you could chop now, plenty of potency, trichs will continue to amber. I split a stalk last summer and it definitely increased the “glisten” in just one week if you want to try it. Good luck!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

2 weeks or less to go.

Gotta disagree here. 100% cloudy or as close as possible is the most mature canabanoids and highest potency. Really big bulbous and clear is but we know the potency has peaked once they are mostly cloudy. Amber/Brown is degrading and already losing any active canabanoids. Unless we are talking some sativas which show colored transparent trichomes. I have strains that go clear to colored rather than cloudy.

Also no reason to even check trichs until the flowers are finished growing.

Thc degrades into cbn not cbd. Cbn is not psychoactive. And it may mitigate the effects of the thc.

Also flushing does nothing but help clear out the medium. I dont know why anyone would want to withhold nutrients while the calyx are stacking and expanding.

Just don’t over feed is how I see it.

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

2 weeks or less to go.
20% cloudy? Does that mean 80% clear then? That seems way low. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought the heavy hitter would be closer to 100% cloudy.

420.hydro

420.hydro

You dont.why damage a healthy plant from growing to its potential..i dont see all the good growers doing this...you can do it if you like...

Look at the calxs to see if cloudy..i think your right i see cloudy .like jack said shes most likely under 2 weeks to go ..
Thanks for your input...my understanding is that if you "damage" the plant it goes into defense mode and in doing so she'll increase in trichomes and density...

Monster762

Monster762

I let this plant rock almost 11 weeks on indica green crack. Chasing the Amber trich hype. Also plant was healthy as can be it’s whole life. So no real over fertilizing
Flushed full 2 weeks with flawless finish.
Still didn’t get the n out. And after all I won’t chase amber trichs again. Cloudy cloudy is where it’s at. And I think mimedgrower is right it really kills the thc effects
95BDD93D C804 431D 9AE9 97C8EBFD09AC
28B71FB2 F6B7 459D 8037 CF0F7678E9C9
B2C067D8 2063 411A AACE 19142EEE1F26

Madmax

Madmax

Thanks for your input...my understanding is that if you "damage" the plant it goes into defense mode and in doing so she'll increase in trichomes and density...
Maybe dude.. i dont know how you would measure that.but i had lots of stem splitting when in bud and i couldnt tell no different. if it does its miniscule..every strain is unique ,if i want weight(max yield) i can leave till theres 50% .going a little longer the tric bulbs start fall off.but i normally go around 15/20% head high with a littlebit of body stone..cloudy is most potent but you miss out on weight .you can experiment with your plant buddy.for this grow and it one way of finding out what is best for you.you can take all your tops from a ft off maybe more then leave the rest and wait to you see 5-10-20 % amber then take those off ..dry and then make notes on smoke....peace..

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
20% cloudy? Does that mean 80% clear then? That seems way low. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I thought the heavy hitter would be closer to 100% cloudy.
Flush at 20 and by the time you harvest they will be 100% with some ambers so usually I gauge at amber load and cut as they continue to go after chop as well

SoLowDolo

SoLowDolo

Flush at 20 and by the time you harvest they will be 100% with some ambers so usually I gauge at amber load and cut as they continue to go after chop as well
Oh, ok I gotcha, I thought you meant chop at 20%

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Gotta disagree here. 100% cloudy or as close as possible is the most mature canabanoids and highest potency. Really big bulbous and clear is but we know the potency has peaked once they are mostly cloudy. Amber/Brown is degrading and already losing any active canabanoids. Unless we are talking some sativas which show colored transparent trichomes. I have strains that go clear to colored rather than cloudy.

Also no reason to even check trichs until the flowers are finished growing.

Thc degrades into cbn not cbd. Cbn is not psychoactive. And it may mitigate the effects of the thc.

Also flushing does nothing but help clear out the medium. I dont know why anyone would want to withhold nutrients while the calyx are stacking and expanding.

Just don’t over feed is how I see it.
Well I gotta somewhat agree , the question was regarding when to flush, salt farmers need to flush, which is typically 2 weeks or so, so at 20% cloudy, you start that, by the time flush is done, you will be 100% cloudy with a chance of amber. I cut at 5-10% amber, why? Because they continue to develop as i dry. I dry 12-14 days very low and slow. We have a clean room environment with hepas and perfect climate control . The slower dry also kickstarts the cure for us. We hang dry. Buck and start cure. Trim when order leaves us. This helps mellow and even out taste, smell, thc/cbn, all the great stuff mellows out better with leaf on. We do wet trim though , it’s drys with sugars only.
But that’s my commercial grow experience which mayb not applicable to the smaller scale but heck if it does good at 1000s of plants at a time , why not 2-6! My 2 cents, sorry if I made an error or didn’t fully explain
Cheers

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well I gotta somewhat agree , the question was regarding when to flush, salt farmers need to flush, which is typically 2 weeks or so, so at 20% cloudy, you start that, by the time flush is done, you will be 100% cloudy with a chance of amber. I cut at 5-10% amber, why? Because they continue to develop as i dry. I dry 12-14 days very low and slow. We have a clean room environment with hepas and perfect climate control . The slower dry also kickstarts the cure for us. We hang dry. Buck and start cure. Trim when order leaves us. This helps mellow and even out taste, smell, thc/cbn, all the great stuff mellows out better with leaf on. We do wet trim though , it’s drys with sugars only.
But that’s my commercial grow experience which mayb not applicable to the smaller scale but heck if it does good at 1000s of plants at a time , why not 2-6! My 2 cents, sorry if I made an error or didn’t fully explain
Cheers

You didn’t address what I was saying about thc degrading into cbn. Once the oil is cloudy and stratifying it has already reached peak thc content.

I grow more than 2-6 plants. I have been supplying patients regularly for nearly 5 years perpetually now. The smaller staggered grow allows me to experiment plant to plant as I start a new one almost every week. And harvest the same.

This is how we keep in plant count and meds on hand for the medical caregiver regs. Maximizes my space too.

I can harvest plants anytime during ripening I want there is no schedule so I have tried and compared everything and continue to do so to keep myself honest so to speak.

But what I’m saying about the trichomes was already determined way back in ed rosenthals old grow book. Those old guys tested everything way before me.

I surely agree with leaving the leaves on the buds as long as possible for drying. My current plants are cut into branches untrimmed and are on day 7. Probably a day or two more in my closet before trimming and jarring. The longer the better for sure.

As far as flushing that’s a commercial thing that goes way back to the beginning of indoor growing. They always pumped the plants full of nutes then leached and have water for a couple of weeks to fade the leaves.

I taper my fertilizer feeding down during ripening to try to meet each plants needs. But best results have not been giving only water for 2 weeks. But rather light feeding almost to the last watering.

Flushing and fading does lower the chlorophyll content and buds can be ready for sale sooner. That’s how the old growers explained it to me back then.

I have some history with our flowers going back to the early 80’s when I met the outdoor skunk growers in jersey. Then years of indoor connects.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
You didn’t address what I was saying about thc degrading into cbn. Once the oil is cloudy and stratifying it has already reached peak thc content.

I grow more than 2-6 plants. I have been supplying patients regularly for nearly 5 years perpetually now. The smaller staggered grow allows me to experiment plant to plant as I start a new one almost every week. And harvest the same.

This is how we keep in plant count and meds on hand for the medical caregiver regs. Maximizes my space too.

I can harvest plants anytime during ripening I want there is no schedule so I have tried and compared everything and continue to do so to keep myself honest so to speak.

But what I’m saying about the trichomes was already determined way back in ed rosenthals old grow book. Those old guys tested everything way before me.

I surely agree with leaving the leaves on the buds as long as possible for drying. My current plants are cut into branches untrimmed and are on day 7. Probably a day or two more in my closet before trimming and jarring. The longer the better for sure.

As far as flushing that’s a commercial thing that goes way back to the beginning of indoor growing. They always pumped the plants full of nutes then leached and have water for a couple of weeks to fade the leaves.

I taper my fertilizer feeding down during ripening to try to meet each plants needs. But best results have not been giving only water for 2 weeks. But rather light feeding almost to the last watering.

Flushing and fading does lower the chlorophyll content and buds can be ready for sale sooner. That’s how the old growers explained it to me back then.

I have some history with our flowers going back to the early 80’s when I met the outdoor skunk growers in jersey. Then years of indoor connects.
I think I did , thc degrading into cbn, takes the “” racey”” out of the weed. But 100% amber equals couch lock pure n simple, also the thc drives down at about 80% Amber, we test at all stages, in house labs. Cbn increases when thc degrades/ decreases

Last edited:
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

High everyone
i have a picture of the trichomes and I need some help with my first grow. i wondering if she's ready or approx eta. I need to be able to flush her before harvest (and maybe do the splitting of the base to maximize yield and produce nice dense flowers)

i'm way off schedule because she started out in a hydro system and i almost lost her duiring a nut change and i placed her (Celeste btw) in coco and nursed her back to a healthy young adult...when alls said and done she's probably approx 3 weeks behind and has been in flower about the same (i got flustered when she got sick and slacked in my journal keeping thinking she wouldn't survive...sorry won't happen again)

Sooo I know any answer will be an educated guestimate but how long before the trichomes cloud up and should i start flushing her?
I read the posts above and there is a lot of good info..But if I see correctly, you are looking at the trichomes on a sugar leaf? Sugar leaf trichs mature faster than bud trichs and are not a good indicator imo.

Latest posts

Top Bottom