Room running cool

• Thread starter zx12r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

zx12r

I fired up my room for the first time last night and have been monitoring temps and humidity about every 3 hours. Temp is holding around 58F and humidity is 47-50. 58F seems rather cool to me especially since I'm running a 1000 watt light. Here are the specs of the room.

4x6x7 framed with 2x2's and lined with panda film
1000 watt light with 40 inch vertizontal reflector
2 6" in-line booster fans (intake and exhaust) currently only exhaust is running

The room is in my basement which stays about 50F. I was under the impression that this 1000 watt light was going to cause all kinds of heat problems. Should I add a small space heater to the room to get the temps up to at least 70F? Is that humidity range okay?

S

spiderman

Should I add a small space heater to the room to get the temps up to at least 70F? Is that humidity range okay?
i would just add more light(s) as opposed to a space heater.

G

gudkarma

more light?

what about lights off?

i grow in a detached garage away from my house.

there's 100% snow on the ground ... it's winter outside... and my room stays at 73 to76during lights on & 68 to 70 during lights off.

space heater will be very necessary to keep temps up, imo.

i dont use a fan type heater... though i keep one as back up.

i use an oil filled radiator with a small walmart fan blowing on it... works boss.

my heater is a 700w unit (@ 5.8 amps) which serves my needs nicely ...& is more efficient than a 1500w unit.

i've seen these paper thin 400w units too... but maybe a tad underpowered for guys like us.

nevertheless, to build up temps in your room, you should be using anything that creates heat to your advantage.

during "lights on" plants need co2 and air flow to do the magic they do... at lights off shut everything down the pulls air into or out of your room.

your humidity is fine ...but as soon as you add plants ...& shut the lights & fans off ...you will definitely need a control.

S

spiderman

more light?

what about lights off?

light's off?
i always thought plants enjoy a 10 or so degree drop in temp at "night."
might be wrong though.
i would hate to waste 700 watts on non light producing heat!

R

RMCG

light's off?
i always thought plants enjoy a 10 or so degree drop in temp at "night."
might be wrong though.
i would hate to waste 700 watts on non light producing heat!

A temp drop (at night) is good to reduce unnecessary stretch.

G

gudkarma

ideal lights on 75 to 85 85 on the high end with co2 85 no problem. lights off 10 degree swing is not bad but at your temps you report having now your gonna need to follow your gut insticnt and add a small space heater. the issue with big temp drops are powdery mildlew and stunted plants along with a few others. even if you add more lights come dark time your gonna need to raise that temp. for ideal setting.

wisdom has been dropped.

i run a SOG op, holding 145 plants.

temps in the 50's will keep plants alive but not thriving.

night temps are as important as day temps... and i like to do my winter best to keep the lab at 70 to 75 all the time!

a little stretch is good for my set up... whereas none is bad.

for example, we has a serious cold spell two weeks ago.

at that time and to stay on schedule, i dropped a new batch of cuts on table #1.... confident in my lab, i wasn't checking night temps for a hot minute.

two weeks into this tray, i noticed the cuts were not stretching like normal ...& i started looking into possibilities.

ppm = no
ph = no
nute schedules = no
etc... etc... etc...

late this week, and cause i went out late at night, i discover room temps were in the mid 50's as a result of a faulty timer.

lack of stretch caused = by cold temps

cuts that should grow to 20 to 30" were topping out at 14" max... which fucks up my yeild.

imo, and in your case, night temps need to be bumped up.

i do just fine keeping a constant day/night temp with little variation as possible.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Split the room in two separate grow areas. Get a flip flop device for your 1000w ballast and and extra bulb and hood for the other room so you can light two rooms (alternating 12/12) with one ballast. So one room is on 12/12 and the other room is off then when the first room goes off the other room goes on. Then you can exhaust each light into the other room so the unlit room is getting the exhaust from the light that is on. It might be just enough to have the unlit room getting radiant heat from the lit room but if it isn't the exhaust should warm it nicely.

Double rooms are good for these situations in unheated winter time grows.

G

gudkarma

flip flops are an excellent idea too. it's all how you see your space.

i thought long and hard on that one and opted for a 24 hour veg closet inside my lab (which is basically a flowering room).

i was keeping my moms in the above space using 2 MH @ 250 venting into the flower room (winter/fall only).

not good enough.

still needed a heater to CONTROL temps ...500w of light heat doesn't even take the edge off a cold winter night in a detached garage.

tobor, i've been experimenting with getting mad bud sites after seeing some of your shit... 42 days into the flip... another 23 to go ...some pics for you soon.

word is bong!

T

tomsawyer

Check out a Titan TV2 fan controller. It will slow your exhaust fan instead of stop it when it reaches desired temp.
I second the use of oil filled radiator. I duct my intake right to it and let it heat the incoming air.

TylerDurden119

TylerDurden119

same prob..

I have the same problem.

I run sog in beds, well i used to have them raised on skids with a tongue n groove floor. In one of my rebuilds I opted for 1" foam board with another layer of wood. N I'm fairly confident I've seen a reduction in yield.

So I came up with using a radiant floor heating kit installed in the subfloor OR using a res with a sub pump and running the hose in the beds(thru the medium) in an "s" pattern with a couple aquarium heaters in the res.

I'm goin to be installing the radiant floor kit in the next week or two as it didn't take up any space and i feel it will b the most effecient electrical usage wise. I figure i can run it during the off times 65-70 and then shut it off for the on times. maybe give u some other options or ideas..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Tyler, water bed heating pads are more efficient at heating large bodies of water to a warmer temperature than aquarium heaters.
zx,
did ya insulate them framed walls?
^^^ This. Should be able to keep that room toasty warm if it's insulated. My basement gets very cold, below those temps you listed, my room gets toasty on 1200W + plentygood insulation.

B

Bobby Smith

for example, we has a serious cold spell two weeks ago.

How about today? Got damn............freezing my dick off.

OP, everyone has given you solid advice..........personally I'd go with a flip flop because I hate using watts that don't directly contribute to growing (chillers, heaters, etc.)............but a heater would be fine as well.

G

gudkarma

what's crackin?

cold as fu*k outside.

insulated top to bottom, 1300w of light in a 10x8x8 room , and still need that space heater to keep the room just right.

outside my lab i have a 3x2x5 tent with several old comforters over it... the garage is an ice box ...yet this tent (with my 2 best moms) stays 16 to 22celcius w/ a 250 MH going 24 hours.

in the lab, last lights out, needed the 1500w heater (versus the 700w i usually use) to keep the room at 62-3 (ish) ...when i wanted 70 (ish). that heater ran all damn night.

oh well...since my wife will not let me grow in the house... just another tier on the ol' electric bill. :harvest:

still way cheaper than buying dank from douche bags.

gonna reconfigure my light set up real soon to totally max out heat potential and maybe direct the flow at the space heater for extra toasty love... like dude above smartly suggested.

i know this, true SOG running is very dependent upon stable environmental controls.

just snatched an aquarium heater for my cloner to see if stable 70 to 75 degrees wil help w/ consistent rooting.

Top Bottom