Root accelerator products + UC = bad idea?

• Thread starter Hythloth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hythloth

It seems like almost everyone here uses products like roots xl or other root enhancers in their UC, but then it ends up creating such a thick root mass that it blocks the water flow and causes issues.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and safer to NOT use these sort of products in the UC? I've seen multiple cases now, especially with the 8 gallon UC systems, where people had a large or complete loss due to roots clogging the system. I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

R

RMCG

My 13g modules are PACKED solid with roots, but I still have excellent flow through them. If you don't have good flow pouring back into the epicenter, I would check for hydroton in the return line near the pump (newer UC's come with inline filters).

RE used weekly until Week 3 of flower @ 1.1ml/gallon.

deacon1503

deacon1503

It seems like almost everyone here uses products like roots xl or other root enhancers in their UC, but then it ends up creating such a thick root mass that it blocks the water flow and causes issues.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and safer to NOT use these sort of products in the UC? I've seen multiple cases now, especially with the 8 gallon UC systems, where people had a large or complete loss due to roots clogging the system. I'd like to hear your opinions on this.

So basically you want to grow smaller plants because you have reached a limitation with your UC? Problems with the 8 gal systems is from the 2" pvc, not the bucket size. Solving the issue physically/mechanically is your answer, not restricting your plants growing potential. Maximize the 8 gal mod with as much root mass as possible. modify it if you have to. The 8 gal mods can easily support a 2lb plant. 13 gal systems are twice as tall with 3" pvc so potential for a decrease in flow is greatly reduced.

Installing a 3/4" pvc gravity feed with uni-seals from one end of the bucket run to the other allows for your nutrient to travel in an alternate route instead of through the 2" pvc where its flow is hindered by root mass. the very root mass that you feed Roots Excel to in order for it to grow a larger more robust plant that develops abundant fruit because of its larger root mass.

Big Roots = Big Yields. :harvest:

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

The roots in mine had a whole where the water flowed through it in ever plant. Use bigger containers if you really need too I don't see it being a problem I hope my roots bust the containers.

R

Randyb

My 8 gal 12 bucket system was packed full of roots so tight it slowed the water return to a trickle. It was 2 plants shy of a total loss. I did use roots excellarator along with all the other H&G products but the system accelerates root growth at an unreal rate on it's own so don't use it. I'm ready to give it another try but I wished I had bought the larger bucket system. This trip i'm keeping the nutes a simple part A-B and fuck all the add on's...

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Just veg less and you won't have the same difficulties....2-3 weeks max for the 8 gallon.

J

J23M.

Roots xl is a waste of money.. I was using bio root basically the cheapest out there until my last run I cut the roots. Gave me the same results:evilgrin0040:

S

stlsoldier531

http://ashs.confex.com/ashs/2009/webprogram/Paper2054.html

This link is about how plants in root accelerator pots experience more water loss ... which shows that large root masses are good but can also cause stress to the plant by making it harder for the plant to maintain proper moisture levels in the root zone .. Which proves the old saying to be true .. TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING .. IS A BAD THING .. LOL ..

It's more about marketing and money than actual plant health :-)
Companies could care less about your plants ... and they care more about the $$$ in their pockets .. haha .. happy growing

J

jdubz401

I have a 12 site 13gal uc system and just yesterday I was on my hands and knees pulling out roots from the pipes.. I also was using roots excel, but that still ain't going to make stop using it.. I can deal with pulling the roots out lol IMO

Unit541

Unit541

...I also was using roots excel, but that still ain't going to make stop using it.. I can deal with pulling the roots out lol IMO

Werd... For me, it's one of those nice problems to have. I guess it all depends on your personal perspective. I for one, have no qualms about root pruning, and just keep 'em trimmed up as needed.

D

Douche_Bigalow

Werd... For me, it's one of those nice problems to have. I guess it all depends on your personal perspective. I for one, have no qualms about root pruning, and just keep 'em trimmed up as needed.

If you are doing a system drain and fill every week or every other week then use the roots xl 2 days before you are planning to swap the water out. I put it in 2 days beofre a drain and fill. Then when the time comes 2 days later drain. Then I fill it to the fucking brim with RO water and then I drain that then I refill with RO and then let sit for 12-24 hours and then do nutes then Ph the water. Rinse and Repeat.

Onespark

Onespark

If you are doing a system drain and fill every week or every other week then use the roots xl 2 days before you are planning to swap the water out. I put it in 2 days beofre a drain and fill. Then when the time comes 2 days later drain. Then I fill it to the fucking brim with RO water and then I drain that then I refill with RO and then let sit for 12-24 hours and then do nutes then Ph the water. Rinse and Repeat.

That's a good idea. I may try that. I just root and veg them out with root enhancer products and then run them for the first week or two after they hit the UC before I flip them to 12/12. After that you don't need any IMO. I like the GH version of RE. Works the same for less $$$

B

Buddy Hemphill

Does putting a service tee (clean out tee) immmediately after the bucket...for a root inspection/pruning location make any sense?

I am getting ready to plumb my first UC. If if saves time and effort later I am gonna install them after every bucket.

Good or bad idea?

Unit541

Unit541

Does putting a service tee (clean out tee) immmediately after the bucket...for a root inspection/pruning location make any sense?

I am getting ready to plumb my first UC. If if saves time and effort later I am gonna install them after every bucket.

Good or bad idea?

Exactly what I have done. It added a level of tediousness to assembly of the system, but I can clear all obstructing roots from an 8 site in about 5 minutes.

I don't get the point. Probably because I never drain my system. If this concept is an attempt to address the original stated problem by reducing the effectiveness of RE via limiting the roots exposure to it, wouldn't it be a lot less expensive to simply reduce the initial dosage? At the cost of the stuff, it just seems odd to drain it all out.

D

Douche_Bigalow

Exactly what I have done. It added a level of tediousness to assembly of the system, but I can clear all obstructing roots from an 8 site in about 5 minutes.

I don't get the point. Probably because I never drain my system. If this concept is an attempt to address the original stated problem by reducing the effectiveness of RE via limiting the roots exposure to it, wouldn't it be a lot less expensive to simply reduce the initial dosage? At the cost of the stuff, it just seems odd to drain it all out.

I had a lot of issues, one of them being that my water was @ 600 PPM out of the tap. another one is this is my first run ever. I had some root rot/brown algae. This caused a lot of root loss. When I was drain every week I was also cleaning out the uc. I did this until second week of bloom when the roots started to look like they should. Now I stack like everyone else.

S

splitsec002

BioRoot definitely didn't give me the same results as excelurator. Excelurator just recently had a price increase too! :(

D

Douche_Bigalow

why are we assuming RE works?

I lost a lot of roots. No new growth for almost a week. I added RE and 3 days later I had 2.5 times more roots. If it did not help then I have no idea what. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them as I am no longer keen on wasting money on a very small bottle of mud.

smokie

smokie

I know Humboldt roots works like crazy, but if I add it to the UC it tends to brown up my roots and I don't like that. It also seems to collect Gunky stuff on the uniseals.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

dude just pull the netpot up at the end of veg period and chop off whatever is making its way into the pvc and you wont have a problem. The plant wont miss the couple inches of the 15 strands you just chopped trust me.

Top Bottom