Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PurpleKing1017

PurpleKing1017

Botanigard is a bio insecticide. About the only thing I'd use in flower honestly.

Vinegar is a herbicide at strong enough concentrations. I'm surprised you didnt damage the plant with it.

And it sure looks like you've already started flowering no?

🥴First grow. lol

I literally just read testimonies on that, I think the solution was just diluted enough.. I only used a bit, but I'm sure even a bit of that could nuke the pH.

Yeah you're right. I definitely messed up the photo-periods when I first put it in the tent.. 🤦‍♂️

I will look into grabbing a bottle of botanigard. Thank you for the help and info!!

PurpleKing1017

PurpleKing1017

so, complex chemicals are NOT an answer. Amazingly enough - you can use simple ionic concentrations to eliminate pests. There are formulations like safer soap. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Safer-B...ect-Killing-Soap-Concentrate-5118-6/202672515

The important part is the formulation to get a concentration of potassium that essentially dries out the bugs to eliminate them.
death by desiccation.

Very cost effective solution. How good is it at killing the pests?

Also, what's considered complex chemicals?

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I'd consider things that are - simple compounds because nothing exists in a pure state in nature. So sulfates and nitrates of a specific element that is soluble. These compounds shift the local chemistry into a state that is hostile to insect life. They are not usually an attempt to be clever and effect neural function or mating success to do the job. I select compounds that have a known path to an inert state or precipitate.

My last usage was with whitefly. Man, that was harder than I thought. But this ( SaferSoap ) is the thing to fuck them up.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I'd mention that the usual path on a soap solution would just use soap, like perhaps that bottle of Dawn, used to wash dishes. That isn't what the SaferSoap is. The purchased product has a very high concentration of potassium - much higher than analogs. So the outcome is quite specific as moisture evaporates. The concentration of that specific salt runs havoc on all soft-bodied critters. And the residue is not toxic to the plant or the consumer of the plant. This is as close to an ideal outcome as it gets.

PurpleKing1017

PurpleKing1017

I'd mention that the usual path on a soap solution would just use soap, like perhaps that bottle of Dawn, used to wash dishes. That isn't what the SaferSoap is. The purchased product has a very high concentration of potassium - much higher than analogs. So the outcome is quite specific as moisture evaporates. The concentration of that specific salt runs havoc on all soft-bodied critters. And the residue is not toxic to the plant or the consumer of the plant. This is as close to an ideal outcome as it gets.
Wonderful. It's funny that you mention dawn, and it's interesting to know that the 'Safersoap' has much higher concentration of potassium than dawn. I say it's funny because I've actually been using a 1 tsp/1L of water w a pinch of cayenne pepper solution, to try and treat the aphids on my plant, and some bok choys that are outside.

PurpleBuckwheat

PurpleBuckwheat

Hi everyone! Newcomer here and decided to join since you guys are really good at IDing the bugs.

Started another auto plant grow two weeks ago and when I was doing a soil knuckle test about a week ago I saw some really tiny bugs in the soil. One were white long ones (looked like springtails), the other ones were yellow tiny round things. I preventively watered with BTI and botanigard (beauveria bassiana) yesterday.

Today when I was checking on the plant I saw a flyer on the top of the soil and decided to take it out with tweezers. Had to kill it after that so it's kind of smashed on photos. However, somehow by a pure chance I managed to get this round yellow bug with my tweezers too and took photos of both of them. The last photo is to understand the size of them. At the right you will see the tweezers end.

The yellow bug looks like a predatory mite (correct me if I'm wrong)? But what's the flyer? Fungus gnat or a winged root aphid?

And what do I do? Let the soil dry out completely and then continue watering with BTI/botanigard once a week? Thanks a lot to everyone!

Anthem

Anthem

I would get some yellow sticky traps and confirm they are either fungal gnats or root aphids. With a loop you can get a pretty good look at the bugs on the yellow sticky trap and make a positive I.D. Fungal gnats have a depression behind their head you can tell what they are by the depression behind their head and how long their wings are.
If they are fungal gnats I would get Micro-Lift it is stronger and IMO easier to use than misquito bits. Also I would place yellow sticky traps at the top of the soil to catch the flyers. Secondly, I would get nematodes and add them to the soil as well. In this combination you can eradicate fungal gnats.
I have no experience with root aphids from what I have read it seems to be a loosing battle and at 2 weeks you might want to consider starting over. Which brings up the next point. If you had this problem with your last grow, either the grow space was not sterilized or they are living in something. If you used the same bag of grow media I would be concerned about using that in the future. Try and figure out how they are getting into the grow.

PurpleBuckwheat

PurpleBuckwheat

I would get some yellow sticky traps and confirm they are either fungal gnats or root aphids. With a loop you can get a pretty good look at the bugs on the yellow sticky trap and make a positive I.D. Fungal gnats have a depression behind their head you can tell what they are by the depression behind their head and how long their wings are.
If they are fungal gnats I would get Micro-Lift it is stronger and IMO easier to use than misquito bits. Also I would place yellow sticky traps at the top of the soil to catch the flyers. Secondly, I would get nematodes and add them to the soil as well. In this combination you can eradicate fungal gnats.
I have no experience with root aphids from what I have read it seems to be a loosing battle and at 2 weeks you might want to consider starting over. Which brings up the next point. If you had this problem with your last grow, either the grow space was not sterilized or they are living in something. If you used the same bag of grow media I would be concerned about using that in the future. Try and figure out how they are getting into the grow.

Thanks for the advice! In general there are a lot of bugs where I live, we've got some plants in the balcony, and there's always cat grass in the living room (I check it for gnats regularly and throw it out if I see any signs of bugs) so I believe I will just need to learn to eradicate them or keep them at bay.

I already ordered some yellow sticky traps and will place them tonight or tomorrow. The nematodes or any other predator living beings are prohibited for sale over here so that's a no-go. I'm using both BTI and beauveria bassiana in liquid forms, not mosquito bits. So it will be sticky traps, BTI, and good watering practices I believe.

What about the soil mite? Can someone identify it? If it's hypoaspis miles, will it then help me to battle the bugs by eating the larvae?

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I was having whitefly issues this spring in the tent. After using the SaferSoap every time I saw them bastards fly around when I opened the tent - they are finally gone. The last two weeks have been clear. They seemed to have an affinity for BlackJack ( a dense canopy and strong terpene expression ) so I moved that strain outdoors, even though I managed to clean them up.

Now I can prepare to flip to flower. 😁 Platinum Skittles and Lemongrass.

DavidMykel

DavidMykel

I just had a hell fire of some kind of insect, fucking sucked stunted growth not growing at all, 2 feet in 5 weeks then nothing, ripped them all out, started a newgrow soon, hope all goes well with your grow

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Dreaded RA or fungus gnat?

im already having nightmares
Fungus gnat the wings are as long as the body.

Root Aphid...Look for two nodes pointing from the top of its ass end and wings longer than body. Also theres a difference in the antennae as well...under scope very easy to id. Bare eyes arebpretty easy too. Lil more difficult on a yelow sticky if they landed funny on it or get pushed down onto the sticky...

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

That is a type of leaf hopper. They take bites out of leaves but seldom do much damage to plants other than that.

Hackberry Psyllids are what those are in the pic..... its the Asian citrus Psyllids you have to worry about. They will devour cannabis!! They leave galls under leaves and in stalks of certain plants...a tiny worm lives in the gall, chews its way out eventually, turning into these pesky bugs...more of an irritant than a menace!

MaryDankster

MaryDankster

Can anyone ID these? I have them...
im having the same issue. Mine look identical but can’t seem to identify them online. I believer they are beneficial cause my plants are thriving but still want to know their true identity.
having the same issue. Don’t seem to be a threat but would really like the know their true identity. Can’t seem to find anything online except that they resemble other Beneficial mites.

9E1D57FB CEC5 4F12 ADAE EE21042DF32A
8006BCCB C3D5 4AAA AC1F 88E498E801F7
EB2F5AB1 CF95 4A78 AF40 DF44E9291803
71EDA23F 025A 4F06 BB31 9D2D81B29AE2
83E46F19 C2F8 4BFF A3AF 1A3C66495C82
Top Bottom