Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

doubleup

aye! If they are in the pots in large numbers and not the leaves, and are not yellow or brown, I doubt they are thrips. Thrips can be jumpy and quick but the nymphs have a distinct yellow color to them and if you can look close enough you can see springtails have rounded abdomens and thrips have pointy abdomens. Next time I'm in a garden with thrips I'll make sure to get pictures. And also - spinosad is my go-to when thrips are present, extremely effective against them when used every four days. Just don't spray it outside because it is linked to colony collapse disorder in bees. I haven't seen it be as effective against anything else.

I actually have no pictures of any mites- I've never had to deal with them and avoid gardens that have them. I keep extremely clean and follow pretty thorough preventative measures, which keeps my garden pest and pathogen free (knocking on wood). However, in the interest of documenting an extensive archive of common indoor garden pests, I'm on the lookout for some bugs :)

Dude are these thrips? sorry for shitty pics, they have been playing havoc, thought they were root aphids but don't think so anymore. They make the plant light sensitive and leaves fold inward long ways, like a venus fly trap, they get super light sensitive. Had for 9 months on 4 crops and still trying to figure out WTF they are. Please and thank you in advance

EDIT**** They seem to only be in the soil, I have to brush back a thin layer. When treating could I mix the azatrol and pyganic in with feeding?

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Kick ass photos!!! Gave some organic plants out to a non-organic grower and they were freaking out thinking they have RA. I must be lucky to get good bugs. lol. Never innoculated with them either...

Hypoasis @10x
Hypoasis miles

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Kick ass photos!!! Gave some organic plants out to a non-organic grower and they were freaking out thinking they have RA. I must be lucky to get good bugs. lol. Never innoculated with them either...

Hypoasis @10x
View attachment 366732

I think I have SHITLOADS of these crawling around in my mix. I was looking at them yesterday. Do they crawl fairly fast? I know what I am looking at aren't springtails. They are black not white and crawling all over. Don't seem to be doing any damage.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I think I have SHITLOADS of these crawling around in my mix. I was looking at them yesterday. Do they crawl fairly fast? I know what I am looking at aren't springtails. They are black not white and crawling all over. Don't seem to be doing any damage.
yeap shitloads in top inch or two of medium. Dig around and disturb the soil and then you see the little specs moving around. Yes they move pretty fast.
Was hard to catch one. Had to put some soil in a beaker to get a few under the scope. Then allows one top crawl onto aslide and smashed him with a slide cover.
They eat blind springtails and fungus gnat larvae. Normally I would have an explosion of blind springtails but these seem to be keeping gnat and blind springtails in check. When you look closer they are brown. I would try and catch one and scope it to be safe. Could also be a different type of soil mite.

At first I think wtf. How in the hell, RA get in here. My plants look healthy so I better scope it out. Hope you got some good bugs!!

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
ahaha I am pretty sure they are good because the plants are HEALTHY.
I have no doubt your plants are healthy. I say hope you got good bugs, because I like to nerd out of knowing rather than guessing and hoping.
Not intended to infer a lack of confidence in your skill on my part.
If you ever catch one and scope it. Please take a pic and post it up.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I have no doubt your plants are healthy. I say hope you got good bugs, because I like to nerd out of knowing rather than guessing and hoping.
Not intended to infer a lack of confidence in your skill on my part.
If you ever catch one and scope it. Please take a pic and post it up.

Yeah bro I was gonna take a core sample and send it to the entomology dept at local university to ID them. I hate not knowing.

Myco

Myco

I was wondering what I am seeing cawing around my rockwool cubes are the Hypoaspis Miles? I took a few photos that did not come out great. Need more option if this bug is bad. There is no bug, Like no bug. Yhea the good ones are not needed ether if the bad ones are gone.....

Thanks guys
Not the right color for H. Miles but nearly identical shape... I wouldn't think probably a similar species. Most likely a predator or fungus/decaying matter indulging mite and not a herbivore. Are you seeing any problems with your plants anyways? Don't worry about getting rid of them, you most likely will NOT be able to get rid of them even if you try... Why get rid of the good critters regardless? They could be breaking down organic matter or keeping things like fungus gnat larvae at bay.

Myco

Myco

There's a thread here in the infirmary talking about my experience, but wanted to share this here in this thread also.

Figured I'd post these to help someone possibly use to ID the dreaded Broad Mite. Was gifted a clone that turned out to be infested...

They are virtually invisible to the naked eye (although I was able to discern movement that I believed to be a mite carrying another mite, or two mites mating), you'll need a decent scope to see them and it's best to use a 100x to properly ID them.

But here is a look at some of the damage they cause... wrinkled/shriveled foliage with stunted growth, growth tips turning a very light/pale green or yellow... they seem to enjoy the growth tips and hang around the area of the leaf where the blades connect to the petiole. The gnaw on leaf tissue, injecting their dirty little toxins in which our favorite plant can't fight on it's own, causing issues from perceived deficiency, pH lock, over-watering, etc... and can look like this:

IMG 20140423 141900 897

And here's a video I took with my USB scope showing the fuckers:

The males and females are distinguishable from one another, with a higher population of females to males. Males have longer legs and have more of a "spider" sort of look to them, while the females have more stubby legs. Color can range from transparent/white to light tan/brown.

Eggs are elliptical and covered in "bumps", although it was tough for me to see these bump features with my scope.

I can't stress it enough that everyone should take extreme precautions bringing in plants... Just want to reiterate the fact that when I accepted this clone, she was healthy upon arrival, checked her out with a 30x-50x scope and noticed nothing unusual. Treated her and quarantined her (therefore I know the BM's came on the clone and weren't picked up in my garden) for a period of time before I left off the treatments, and they showed themselves.

Had it not been for recognizing the damage (which I first assumed to be a slight deficiency) and being aware of BM's, there's a very good chance that my entire operation would've been infected before it was too late. Now I am taking the time and steps to treat every plant vigilantly on my property to ensure they haven't spread.

I'd hate to see anyone go through full on infestation of these... Just wanted to share my warning and possibly help another grower. Good vibes and happy gardening!

shawnskush

shawnskush

I hate to like a post about shitty situations @Myco but some good info and advice in your post for sure! Good luck battling them broads my friend!

fartbox

fartbox

I am pretty sure what I have is broad mites... i wish i had better pictures but this is all i could muster w/ my phone through a loupe

yesterday was my first day growing for a new dispensary and some plants in veg are infected with these, need to know so i can figure out how to move forward. they are milky white and semi translucent.

can anyone help me confirm? thank you thank you thank you

Bm

20140426 214903

Myco

Myco

Yeah @fartbox clearly not Broads... BM's make their living in the foliage and are virtually microscopic.

From the second pic the mites appear to have the same shape as H. Miles, a harmless predator. I'm sure it's a similar species and very likely no threat to your ladies... they could be there chasing down fungus gnat larvae or something.

Pretty cool pic of them dessimating a thrip.

Dunge

Dunge

I am pretty sure what I have is broad mites... i wish i had better pictures but this is all i could muster w/ my phone through a loupe

yesterday was my first day growing for a new dispensary and some plants in veg are infected with these, need to know so i can figure out how to move forward. they are milky white and semi translucent.

can anyone help me confirm? thank you thank you thank you

View attachment 400418
View attachment 400419
Found this at:

In the text they refer to it as both brood and broad mite, but the Latin name stayed the same.
That first smaller side view is sharp enough to pick up the striations on the back.
This picture shows striations from above.
Hope this helps.
Polyphagotarsonemus latus 300x257
I am no taxonomist, but I know the sort of things they look for.

fartbox

fartbox

Yeah @fartbox clearly not Broads... BM's make their living in the foliage and are virtually microscopic.

From the second pic the mites appear to have the same shape as H. Miles, a harmless predator. I'm sure it's a similar species and very likely no threat to your ladies... they could be there chasing down fungus gnat larvae or something.

Pretty cool pic of them dessimating a thrip.

Yeah I think you are right, not broads... but now I'm thinking could they be baby root aphids? seeing that they are only in the soil and not on the leaves is worrying me.

I actually am not as afraid of root aphids as I am other things, so that could be a good (better?) scenario.

Found this at:

In the text they refer to it as both brood and broad mite, but the Latin name stayed the same.
That first smaller side view is sharp enough to pick up the striations on the back.
This picture shows striations from above.
Hope this helps.
View attachment 400461
I am no taxonomist, but I know the sort of things they look for.

you're right about the striations but they don't look quite the same to me, but I'm also no taxonomist.

Thanks for any help, friends

Myco

Myco

Yeah I think you are right, not broads... but now I'm thinking could they be baby root aphids? seeing that they are only in the soil and not on the leaves is worrying me.

I actually am not as afraid of root aphids as I am other things, so that could be a good (better?) scenario.

you're right about the striations but they don't look quite the same to me, but I'm also no taxonomist.

Thanks for any help, friends
I highly doubt they're RA. Even though it's kinda hard to see, when I blow the pic up and zoom in I'm 90%sure I'm counting 8 legs... and the shape/body looks very consistent with H. Miles or a predatory mite - in which I have had a fair bit of experience with.

And besides... if there were that many "baby root aphids" present, I'm quite sure you would see an adult...

Rest assured, those critters are not RA :D

Evan Duffy

Evan Duffy

Fuck
Hey everybody! Hope this helps ID problems with some common garden pests and critters.

Root Aphids (Aphidoidea)

"Root Aphid" is a broad term describing an unknown number of species of aphids that can attack crop roots. They are most commonly seen outdoors, where they feed on leaves of plants and overwinter either as a dormant egg or as a colony feeding on stored sugars/starches in plant roots. Indoors they are common pests due to the concentration of sugars, amino acids, and nutrients in the roots. Aphid eggs are sought after by some species of ants, who will nurture a colony of aphids to feed on their sugar and nutrient rich excrement. A common misunderstanding is the referencing of Root Aphids to phylloxera, which is another family of insects that is very similar to aphids but lacks the telltale "tailpipes" and "honeydew" discharge that distinguishes aphids.

here are some pictures of root aphids in their winged or "flier" form

View attachment 301449View attachment 301452
you can see by these images that the winged aphid holds it's wings parallel and vertical, at the sides of it's body. It's head is similar sized to the rest of the body, and it's abdomen is either green, yellow, brown/red, or black depending on diet. It's legs are also all of a similar size (male aphids can have quite long legs, however). Immature aphids can also be seen in the bottom picture.

"crawler" form:

View attachment 301448
Notice the "tailpipes" (cornicles) on the abdomen of the aphid. These protect it when it feels threatened by producing a hard, waxlike substance that coats the aphid's exterior. This aphid was unique in that it displayed many of the common colors of root aphids. Depending on what they feed on and their maturity aphids can be any shade of either yellow, green, or red, and occasionally black/brown.

an example of aphid colonization/infestation

View attachment 301447

View attachment 301446

Fungus Gnats (Mycetophiloidea)

Fungus gnats are generally obnoxious because they get stuck in flowers in large numbers. Since their larva eat decaying matter, a growing population of fungus gnats generally indicates either over-watered plants/over saturated media, or an unhealthy root mass. Females will travel from pot to pot looking for optimum conditions to lay eggs. Females lay eggs in the top 2-3 inches of soil and can lay up to 200 in her 10 day life. Both the eggs and the larvae are very cold resistant, but cannot survive without a moist environment. It is recommended to let the top 2-3 inches of soil dry out between waterings in most media to avoid fungus gnats, especially late in flower.

Fungus Gnat flier:

View attachment 301450

View attachment 301451
You can see that fungus gnats have three definitive body segments, very long legs, and wings that overlap and fold flat over it's abdomen. They are generally much larger than winged root aphids.

Fungus Gnat larvae

View attachment 301453View attachment 301454 The brown inside this guy is whatever he's been eating...probably roots as this picture was taken very late in flush. Normally they are clear like the section directly before his head. You can see his black head as well as his body segments, very similar to a caterpillar or inchworm.

And last but not least, a beneficial insect, the springtail

View attachment 301444

these guys resemble thrips, but are very small, clear, and can dart away quite quickly. Usually found in the runoff of pots after watering, having a springtail population isn't something to worry about. It is a sign that the soil biosphere (the rhizosphere) is balanced and in check. Springtails are known to eat spores and mycelia of pathogenic fungi that can cause damping off, as well as carry mycorhizzal fungi to root hosts, and control other forms of microlife that become imbalanced or disrupt the rhizosphere. Springtails are estimated to have some of the highest populations of any animals on earth, and play an important role in soil conditioning.
View attachment 301445
Springtails are nice to eachother, they know what's up. They're you're friends, too!

That's all for now folks, thanks for lookin!
fuck I think I have springtails but I've been killing em like fuck? But they only seem to come out her the lights off does that sound right? They move quick etc kind if a greyish colour also I ended up with this on one of my plants think it was a fly maybe?

Latest posts

Top Bottom