Root Aphids, Fungus Gnats, and other fun bugs (ID PICS)

• Thread starter We Solidarity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Completely understand Seamaiden, I appreciate the feedback on your experience with the little bastards that's what I'm here for good bad or indifferent. ;)
I should add that I did spot these guys early when there was only 8-10 visible and I hit them yesterday with a H2O2/water mixture at a 1-4 ratio and added 1/2 inch of food grade Diatomaceous Earth to the tops of each plants soil . I did see a about 7-8 fliers/crawlers last night after giving the H2O2 and wiping everything down with 91% rubbing alcohol, but only 1 this morning. So I'm going to hit my girls again with H2O2 in a couple days, and I also bought some mosquito dunks just in case. So we'll see how it goes (fingers crossed), if anyone else has some advice on alternative methods to eradicate RA's any help would be appreciated.
That is probably KEY to really winning the fight. I watched mine for weeks thinking they were some kind of Super Fungus Gnat, because I knew they looked different from what I was used to seeing (and still see, but now I've got the 'noia). Then, The Mystery Yellowing Event changed everything.

I don't believe the dunks will do much more than cause an upsurge in fliers (the pregnant females), but IIRC Cap's bennies, one of the mixes, maybe all..? Anyway, he's got the same fungus as what's in Met52, but for a fraction of the cost.

Hellno187

Hellno187

That is probably KEY to really winning the fight. I watched mine for weeks thinking they were some kind of Super Fungus Gnat, because I knew they looked different from what I was used to seeing (and still see, but now I've got the 'noia). Then, The Mystery Yellowing Event changed everything.

I don't believe the dunks will do much more than cause an upsurge in fliers (the pregnant females), but IIRC Cap's bennies, one of the mixes, maybe all..? Anyway, he's got the same fungus as what's in Met52, but for a fraction of the cost.
So mosquito dunks probably wasn't a good idea then huh? Oh well it only set me back $7, so this fungus is what killed the RA's in WS's pics then? I guess my next question besides which pack has it (which apparently I need WS to answer) is there anything besides Met52 (a little out of my price range) that has the fungus? Because even though I didn't see them during the day, they came back last night I saw another 5-6 of them. So I'm going to need to hit them again with H2O2 but I would like to have a more potent weapon if this proves unfruitful.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

So OGBiowar killed off your RA problem I take it? I just Googled it and at a glance it seems to be a nutrient line like Heavy Sixteen or Fox Farms. So did you buy a pack or use their brew recipe? Also I would have thought if I add a nutrient it would give the RA's something to feed on, and end up propagating the population instead of eradicating it.

OGBiowar is a microbial innoculant that is gonna help maintain plant health and resistance to pathogens. I use all the packs but the one that will kill root aphids is the foliar pack. I bought the pack and used their recipe, full strength no dilution, I applied it every 4 days until I saw they were dying off, and then I applied weekly at full strength. I also amended all of my soil with a LOT (almost double strength) of foliar pack at transplant to prevent future outbreaks on my veg plants.

@Hellno187 if you want to beat the aphids you need to do a lot of research on their life cycle, breeding habits, and preferred habitat, they are one enemy that you absolutely NEED to understand if you want to win against them.

Hellno187

Hellno187

OGBiowar is a microbial innoculant that is gonna help maintain plant health and resistance to pathogens. I use all the packs but the one that will kill root aphids is the foliar pack. I bought the pack and used their recipe, full strength no dilution, I applied it every 4 days until I saw they were dying off, and then I applied weekly at full strength. I also amended all of my soil with a LOT (almost double strength) of foliar pack at transplant to prevent future outbreaks on my veg plants.

@Hellno187 if you want to beat the aphids you need to do a lot of research on their life cycle, breeding habits, and preferred habitat, they are one enemy that you absolutely NEED to understand if you want to win against them.
I'm one step ahead of your advice when it comes to research, I've spent the better part of a week learning about my enemy.
I must have read 100 articles regarding root aphids, because you never know if one author missed a vital piece of information lol.
I will look into OGBiowar Foliar, I do however already have a really good foliar from Heavy Sixteen that I just started using.
Along with my internet and library research I've driven to 6-7 mom and pop local hydroponics stores to absorb any experience and information they have.
In fact I used NPK's Promis yesterday that I received pro-bono from a local hydro store that the guy there said hadn't failed for anyone he recommended it to.
So far so good, haven't seen any crawlers or fliers since, and in a couple days I'll give it another drench. From what the man told me Promis is mellow for a systemic, and being a systemic it should continue to kill for a couple weeks after I stop drenching. So hopefully that knocks off any survivors of my drenches we'll see. Thanks for specifying which pack is the RA assassin WS, if this stuff doesn't work I'll be looking in that direction. I also was advised from a buddy of mine that has a large grow that he has always used Green Earth Mega Wash, anyone use this before with good results?

m8ty

m8ty

Gnat shield 2
Gnat Shield pics : ]
i pic up the fabric, medical tape, and the rubber band supply's at the local Wally world ..
i hope this helps.

What micron will keep out most bugs guys? Any previous experience with a go to mesh cover I can grab a link of? cause if not ill go fucken macguyver and shit!

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

Zzz cat
yeah bought a damn roll, something like that cant be a bad thing to have handy JUST IN CASE!

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

Anyone want 12 screws in there right side and little to no sleep for 14 months straight? Im glady sharing!

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I'm one step ahead of your advice when it comes to research, I've spent the better part of a week learning about my enemy.
I must have read 100 articles regarding root aphids, because you never know if one author missed a vital piece of information lol.
I will look into OGBiowar Foliar, I do however already have a really good foliar from Heavy Sixteen that I just started using.
Along with my internet and library research I've driven to 6-7 mom and pop local hydroponics stores to absorb any experience and information they have.
In fact I used NPK's Promis yesterday that I received pro-bono from a local hydro store that the guy there said hadn't failed for anyone he recommended it to.
So far so good, haven't seen any crawlers or fliers since, and in a couple days I'll give it another drench. From what the man told me Promis is mellow for a systemic, and being a systemic it should continue to kill for a couple weeks after I stop drenching. So hopefully that knocks off any survivors of my drenches we'll see. Thanks for specifying which pack is the RA assassin WS, if this stuff doesn't work I'll be looking in that direction. I also was advised from a buddy of mine that has a large grow that he has always used Green Earth Mega Wash, anyone use this before with good results?

there are many people who unfortunately don't care about this, but the pesticide you got for free is imidacloprid, which is one of the most widely used pesticides in the united states, but is banned in almost every other country world-wide because it has been directly associated with the mass die-off of bees. PLEASE, be careful what you do with that liquid, it stays around for a very long time in nature and any that you dump down the sink or throw in the trash WILL wind up back in the environment. over 90% of California's water supply is contaminated with imidacloprid, it's definitely something the world needs a whole lot less of. Sorta disgusts me store owners are just giving the stuff away with no advisory warning or even a word of caution...

VERMONTSKUNKS

VERMONTSKUNKS

there's no way anyone who works outdoors hasn't noticed bees disapeering! I miss them honestly. Now its just nasty wasps!

Hellno187

Hellno187

there are many people who unfortunately don't care about this, but the pesticide you got for free is imidacloprid, which is one of the most widely used pesticides in the united states, but is banned in almost every other country world-wide because it has been directly associated with the mass die-off of bees. PLEASE, be careful what you do with that liquid, it stays around for a very long time in nature and any that you dump down the sink or throw in the trash WILL wind up back in the environment. over 90% of California's water supply is contaminated with imidacloprid, it's definitely something the world needs a whole lot less of. Sorta disgusts me store owners are just giving the stuff away with no advisory warning or even a word of caution...
Well I guess I should have done more research on planet altering pesticides before I put this stuff on my indoor grow. Is it going to kill me? Should I trash my plants now? This is incredibly frustrating, I research and research to find something that works and I find a seemingly nice guy that gives me a pesticide he says will help and not adversely effect my plant or me. Just to find out I brought Agent Orange into my house and I'm helping to destroy the planet, good morning to me lol. I guess what I need to ask now, is there any other planet destroying chemicals that are added to pesticides that I should avoid? If I would have seen a list of these dangerous chemicals I sure as hell wouldn't have used one of them. So please any other dangerous chemicals you know of WS that people are handing out?

Last edited:
indonesia

indonesia

I used to get Springtails in my hydro res's and even though they are supposed to be benificial it screwed with my mind seein those jumpin around in the water

I just went Toxic Avenger on an aphid attack...beat'm over the weekend but there wasn't anythng organic about it...lol
i like youre crosby stills nash lyrics!!

indonesia

indonesia

ive read the opposite actually at least in reference to the root aphids sterilization, whereas the freezing causes hibernation and when they wake up they are hungry...

cooking however will kill them but greenhouse soil sterilization ovens aren't cheap, i think about 2 G will get you started but depending on size the get pricey quick
freezing them will just make them dormant until they come back to room temp just like lady bugs.

B

Bangarang

Here are a couple of pics of some little critters i found in veg. I think the yellow sticky trap is showing just gnats. I have been comparing images for a few minutes now. Then the next three are of these little tiny white and orangish/red crawlers that i do not like the looks of. I use OGBiowar weekly and just did two of three applications of gnatrol. Is this little thing one of many demon RA? I know that gnat larvae are look like tiny little worms.
I am sorry but these are the best shots i can get because they are so tiny.
#3 it is in the bottom left corner
#2 little spec
#1 i think you got by now

RA or gnat larvae 4
RA or gnat larvae 3
RA or gnat larvae 2
RA or gnat larvae 1
RA or gnat larvae 91 no highlight
RA or gnat larvae 91
RA or gnat larvae 9
RA or gnat larvae 8
RA or gnat larvae 7
RA or gnat larvae 6
RA or gnat larvae 5
Last edited:
B

Bangarang

Sorry my pictures are horrible.

Could they be soil mites?
How does one go about finding an entomologist in their area?

Last edited:
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

If they're all one size its probably mites, if you're seeing different sizes but the same shape its aphids. Hard to tell with your pics but it looks like those are soil mites...although it looks like there may be one or two ra fliers on that sticky trap (top right square, in the bottom left corner)

B

Bangarang

Ok so i used my X10 magnifying glass. It took me a long time to get these pictures and they still suck. Again i am in coco feeding salts with weekly ogbiowar diluted down 4 gallons with 10 gallons of nutrients. I started a 14 gallon batch of the foliar pack and dragon fly earth medicine- radiant green. I am just going to hit them with full strength tea. I mixed 1.5 cups of the foliar pack; is this the right amount?

RA or soil mite scope 7
RA or soil mite scope 6 fucker
RA or soil mite scope 5
RA or soil mite scope 4
RA or soil mite scope 3
RA or soil mite scope 2
RA or soil mite scope 1
Dunge

Dunge

They look like hypoaspis to me. Here is a much closer image of one eating a fungus gnat larva(not my image) but it will give you an idea scale wise of the size. Notice the long front "legs".

View attachment 469975
The thought that they might be Hypoaspis miles ( a commercially available predatory mite) is ruled out by the fact that they are blooming in a vegetative environment.
Hypoaspis would only bloom in the presence of abundant prey.
Kill those fuckers.

Top Bottom