Root aphids?

• Thread starter Miked1988
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miked1988

Miked1988

Another bug identification is it root aphids? I’m pretty sure it came from a bag of roots organic 707 I bought because they started appearing right after I transplanted into a new bag of soil.. extremely small I had to zoom in literally like 5x to get these pics so were too small to prick with a needle

Are they root aphids?

Root aphids
QuestForZest

QuestForZest

Root aphids aren't usually that big nor do they run that fast. Aphids have six legs, which these do not from what I can't tell. but just to be safe treat botanigaurd

Miked1988

Miked1988

Root aphids aren't usually that big nor do they run that fast. Aphids have six legs, which these do not from what I can't tell. but just to be safe treat botanigaurd
I had to zoom in ALOT 5x 10x very hard to see with the naked eye that’s why I zoomed it.. it kind of looks like they have 2 antennas in the front

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah they do look similar to RA but act way different. And H-miles has the long tapered snout that RA's dont. That's the giveaway for me.

Miked1988

Miked1988

Whatever they are, the fuckers are hard 2 kill I give them that..I hit them with “take down” then some watered down perxicide didn’t work then I tried some plant therapy and again didn’t work lol.. I’ll try to get a better picture later today they’re about 1/4 of the size of a fungas gnat.. if they are beneficial I guess I’ll let them be but I’ll get that pic just to be safe and make sure that there h miles ..

souf69

souf69

Fast moving is for the most part your friend, slow movers are the enemy! Try and keep that in mind and not over analyze.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Dont kill em lol. People pay for those things! Theyll keep a ton of other pests numbers down.
I'm guessing the soil manufacturer introduced them to take care of a fungas gnat issue or something.

Actually, I was getting infested with beneficals, I had to show some of them the door. I do have them guarding the patio, but enough is enough when my soil is moving....

But I also think I had a phos abundance, and that had become a problem for me, the excessive dead roots, from the previous 4 or 5 grows. Keeping the soil really built beneficials, but it eventually created other problems. Soil sometimes needs a rest, I suppose.

3 balls

3 balls

Dont kill em lol. People pay for those things! Theyll keep a ton of other pests numbers down.
I'm guessing the soil manufacturer introduced them to take care of a fungas gnat issue or something.
I think I have these in my coco, do they jump? I noticed them today and once a couple months ago. So tiny I might have had them from years and never noticed. Haven't had any flyers for years.
Fast moving is for the most part your friend, slow movers are the enemy! Try and keep that in mind and not over analyze.

3 balls

3 balls

Actually, I was getting infested with beneficals, I had to show some of them the door. I do have them guarding the patio, but enough is enough when my soil is moving....

But I also think I had a phos abundance, and that had become a problem, and the excessive dead roots, from the previous 4 or 5 grows.
Thats freaking me right out! This thread is almost a year idle and we not only reply but quoted dirtbag simultaneously. Spooky!

3 balls

3 balls

Sounds like springtails. Google them.

View attachment 1104831

Jumpy little f**kers.
I tried for an hour to get a decent pic that I could zoom in on today with no luck. So I cant make a visual comparison. I can definitely say the jump though, which lines up with the spring tails you mention. From what I read they dont bother anything either, so unless anybody knows of a real tiny bug that jumps and never learns to fly that's on the dark side of the force I will worry about something else. thanks dirtbag

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I tried for an hour to get a decent pic that I could zoom in on today with no luck. So I cant make a visual comparison. I can definitely say the jump though, which lines up with the spring tails you mention. From what I read they dont bother anything either, so unless anybody knows of a real tiny bug that jumps and never learns to fly that's on the dark side of the force I will worry about something else. thanks dirtbag

Nope, they're common in coco. They aren't harmful exactly, but aren't beneficial either.

Miked1988

Miked1988

As it turns out dirtbag and one drop were spot on! they were hmiles.. every bag of roots organic 707 ive picked up since this post has had them.. even though I’d prefer not to have them, any bug tends to scare the shit outta me when it comes to my girls lol.. BUT better than spider mites and aphids.. on another note I’ve been adding beneficial nematodes in all my plants I wonder if they’re eating the hmiles because I haven’t seen any bugs at all other than a few fungas gnats... anybody know if BN’s eat beneficial bugs too? Lol

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

No those are definately not root aphids. They will not run from you like that. Root aphids bastards will look you dead in the eye and flip you the bird!🖕 LoL
Lol...i juat, a month ago, had a thrip rear its rearend wiggle it at me then spin around and laugh its ass off at me....im not bullshitting either...lmfao..i killed it! I got the rat bastard too

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Thats freaking me right out! This thread is almost a year idle and we not only reply but quoted dirtbag simultaneously. Spooky!
Within a min of each other at that...

Top Bottom