root clog already ? what to do ?

• Thread starter booboo111
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

booboo111

My 1st uc run I was inexperienced with warning signs. I didn't realize til after the run that I had roots going into the inline filter and that my water flow had been diminished for quite a while.
I'm starting to have less water flow now. I'm in the second week of flower so I guess the roots must be doing well. This only a 4 mod system 8gal
When the roots get bigger they don't necessarily clog the inline but diminish water flow...yes ?
So do I need to start cutting roots ? Guide me you uc scientists

B

booboo111

ok so CC has a thingy on trimming roots.....nevermind !

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

i would get in there and make sure that inline filter is clean .
i know for a fact that roots can really diminish water flow .

how long did you veg for ?
i really don't know if it's a good idea to cut roots ?
if you can lift the plants up and make an attempt to see if the roots are flowing into pvc and clean as well as possible .

B

booboo111

Pretty sure I've read posts about it and here is what cc sent me....no more than 15-20% cut, will stimulate lateral growth, here it is

Root Pruning To Aid in Proper System Function
When growing in any water culture system, its important to keep your root system as healthy and well maintained as possible. Aside from the typical means of promoting root health such as solution aeration, balanced water chemistry and proper water temps, there are other things to keep in mind.

One important element in keeping a functional, yet maintained root system is root pruning. As your plants proliferate it’s fairly common for the root systems to begin heavily populating the growth module and in some cases the circulation conduit. Here are a few simple tips to help avoid this from becoming an issue and hindering the circulatory function of the system.

1) Once plants are introduced into the system, monitor root growth to be certain roots are developing well. While examining keep an eye out for roots that tend to be growing longer than the rest of the root mass. Simply prune these “runner” roots with a clean pair of scissors to help maintain a more compact and uniform root mass. This pruning will also promote the proliferation of more lateral root growth which will aid in your plants developing a healthy root mass.

2) Occasionally repeat the examination process to ensure roots are developing well. Root prune as need be applying the same method as above. If necessary, reach down into module (thru port hole in lid) and pull out any runner roots that may be growing into the return manifolds. Keeping this return manifold clear with provide for better function of your UC.

3) Avoid the use of supplements that aid in root proliferation beyond the vegative cycle. Plants will continue producing roots throughout the bloom cycle naturally. Use of these supplements into bloom can cause unnecessary energy to be put into root growth and focused away from flowering.

Root pruning rule of thumb: Be certain to not ever prune more than 15-20% of your root mass at any one time to maintain optimum plant health. Always prune the most anterior (outter) points of the root mass and use sterilized tools to avoid infecting plants with pathogens.

Amber

Amber

I would love to hear if you do root pruning what you think of it and exactly how you did it.

namedul

namedul

what i would recommend is hooking up your garden hose to your pump and pushing all the roots out :) and back into there buckets. i do this once a week and have always done it this way. have never had any type of clogging

ps. i went away with the inline filter a year ago i find it to cause more harm then good. gets clogged over night pump locks up BAM fucked. but what do i know im still a noob :P

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Grew in aeroflos forever so I know all about root pruning

Fucking chop away. Unless you take a good chunck of the rootmass you'll be fine. The biggest problem for me was getting to the roots to prune them

Delerium

Delerium

That filter with the system is too large anyway, I used 100 micron screens in my DIY Aero Rdwc before I got the CC UC

B

booboo111

I'm going to pull out the inline filter.....getting to the roots is a prob for me also, had to move the lid, can't do anything with the porthole. I just cut off the runner roots. Some of them got very long already and there's some root left in the manifold after the cut, should come out when I pull the filter.
But I gotta say, when I found out I had to start trimming roots I was like "what next man ?' enough already !
Some good tips here

B

booboo111

I'm going to pull out the inline filter.....getting to the roots is a prob for me also, had to move the lid, can't do anything with the porthole. I just cut off the runner roots. Some of them got very long already and there's some root left in the manifold after the cut, should come out when I pull the filter.
But I gotta say, when I found out I had to start trimming roots I was like "what next man ?' enough already !
Some good tips here

I like the idea of cutting them, it'll take more time to clog again than pulling them out. One module had the roots growing into the filter, couldn't pull them thru without breaking the rest so got the coat hanger out and roto rootered the rest.
My next and 3rd run I will be proactive with the roots, won't let it get to a clog

Capfan

Capfan

i just dont see pruning them being that time efficient, some kind of Cloth over the pipe?

B

booboo111

i just dont see pruning them being that time efficient, some kind of Cloth over the pipe?
I pondered that with a screen, then I figured the roots would pile up there and create a log jam or reduce flow and still have to be cut.....I'm a novice but it seems having the max circulation is what I would want

Capfan

Capfan

Wish you wouldnt cut them =( Namedul mentioned back flowing the system , id suggest that!

namedul

namedul

:pI'm flushing now first flush was slow could tell roots were in the wrong spot. Back flowed for 3 minutes turned pump on bam banging

B

booboo111

:pI'm flushing now first flush was slow could tell roots were in the wrong spot. Back flowed for 3 minutes turned pump on bam banging
I'm a newb, how do you do that exactly do that ? hook it up , I have a chiller ....with o clamps on the hoses, I'd like to have this option too

namedul

namedul

This is what I use. I then unplug my pump and turn on my water supply. I do it every flush.

B

booboo111

This is what I use. I then unplug my pump and turn on my water supply. I do it every flush.
thx dude but whats getting hooked up to what ? Remember I'm a rookie.....are you using the pump to push the water from the system thru ? Because you said you turn off the pump. And as we speak I realize I can do this with a pump that I use to drain the system....ok nevermind !! :)

namedul

namedul

The 1st picture is the adapter for the hose and connecting to the end of my ststem. And the 2nd is how my pump hooks to my water chilling and returns to my res.

Top Bottom