root cloning is better ?

• Thread starter theHERBivore
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

theHERBivore

Recently heard about root cloning and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the storage process. I also think that if clones r stored this way they won't count as a plant growing ... So you can have clones on standby without counting as a plant if your in a Mmj state. If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about any and all advice would be appreciated. (what gel r u using..storage temps.. etc etc.)

TheHERBivore

I

ibTheMan

you can store cuts, in a cup with some water in it, in the frig for up to 2 weeks. if not in the frig they will root sometimes just sitn in water.

D

diffrentstrains

you can store cuts, in a cup with some water in it, in the frig for up to 2 weeks. if not in the frig they will root sometimes just sitn in water.

This is the way you pros do it.... Haha.

All of us spending millions on cloners ect. when we can just put em in solo cups...

Btw...are the motors out of fuel???

------
Recently heard about root cloning and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the storage process. I also think that if clones r stored this way they won't count as a plant growing ... So you can have clones on standby without counting as a plant if your in a Mmj state. If anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about any and all advice would be appreciated. (what gel r u using..storage temps.. etc etc.)

My understanding of the mmj laws in Mi is that if it deosnt háve roots then it is not counted.

Could someone tell me what they actually call that in the law? It is actually spelled out from my memory, along with seeds, stems, trim, ... "incidental trizzle wastes". Haha...seriously I will look it up if no one answers today.

Good question bro!

dS

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

... So you can have clones on standby without counting as a plant if your in a Mmj state.
Depends on your state's definition of, "plant." If your clones have roots then they definitely count. If they don't have roots yet, then sometimes they count, sometimes they don't. Depends on your state, the cops on the scene, and potentially the DA working the case.

I'm over by 6 every 3 weeks if they were to count an unrooted cutting as a plant. But that's a risk I'm willing to take because there is no way I'm just going to assume I'll get 100% clone success each run. Growing Cannabis is always a series of calculated risks.

S

Sea Of Green

In Oregon the rules state that you can have 18 immature plants/seedlings/starts that are less than 12"x12" in size and have no flowers. It makes no mention of roots being required to count as a plant. While one could argue that a cutting that isn't rooted, isn't technically a "start" yet and shouldn't be counted as such. Which, if defensible, would mean you could have any number of them.

(3) A grower:

(a) May produce marijuana for and provide marijuana to a patient or that person's designated primary caregiver as authorized under ORS 475.300 to 475.346 and these rules;

(b) May possess up to six mature plants and up to 24 ounces of usable marijuana for each patient or caregiver for whom marijuana is being produced;

(c) May possess up to 18 marijuana seedlings or starts for each patient for whom marijuana is being produced;

(10) “Immature plant” has the same meaning as “seedling or start”.

(11) "Marijuana" means all parts of the plant Cannabis family Moraceae, whether growing or not; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant or its resin. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.

(12) "Mature plant" means a marijuana plant that does not fall within the definition of a seedling or a start.

(23) "Seedling or start" means a marijuana plant that has no flowers, is less than 12 inches in height, and less than 12 inches in diameter. A seedling or start that does not meet all three criteria will be considered a mature plant.

(25) "Usable marijuana" means the dried leaves and flowers of the plant Cannabis family Moraceae, and any mixture or preparation thereof, that are appropriate for medical use. "Usable marijuana" does not include the seeds, stalks and roots of the plant.
http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARs_300/OAR_333/333_008.html

HOWEVER cuttings aren't exactly what we're really talking about here. He said "root cloning". Which means roots that eventually shoot plants, and not vice versa.
Root cloning is simply taking a few handfuls of roots from the side or bottom of the root ball (adventitious roots), leaving them in their growing medium (Pro Mix) with moisture, warmth and darkness. Within a few weeks to months the adventitious root pieces will develop calydons and there will be hundreds of shoots ready to plant.
http://www.invalid.com/advanced-marijuana-cultivation/295710-root-clone-test-pictures.html

Correct?

BTW, why would you need to apply a rooting compound to roots?

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

subbed for the discussion. pretty interesting :)

D

diffrentstrains

Yes I am subbed as well... Root cloning is new territory for me. In Mich if it has roots they count it as one.

T

theHERBivore

Thanks for everyone's replies so far ... And just to reiderate I am talking about cloning roots and storing them ...not plants and waiting for roots. Let's all learn some fun new stuff and if this plays out the way I think u could have 100s if not 1000s of roots being stored just waiting to grow a shoot to turn into a plant and all u would technically have to do is somewhat hide the roots in a safe place .... These just roots I doubt would count as a plant . :)

TheHERBivore

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

I know nothing about that which you speak. Hopefully somebody chimes in soon with more info. Sounds interesting.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Copy and pasted from a lesser forum:

Root cloning is simply taking a few handfuls of roots from the side or bottom of the root ball (adventitious roots), leaving them in their growing medium (Pro Mix) with moisture, warmth and darkness. Within a few weeks to months the adventitious root pieces will develop calydons and there will be hundreds of shoots ready to plant.

I did this successfully when I first started growing, around the same time that I learned marijuana needs 12/12 to develop buds and the buds grow where the leaves are. The learning curve is not steep. I read about cloning on Overgrow and was trying root cloning, a bubbler and rockwool. The rockwool cuttings died; I had roots in a week with the bubbler; and a bucket of pro mix and dead roots. I jumped on the bubbler because of the early success and forgot about the root cloning.

Weeks to months later I was looking for a bucket and found hundreds of shoots in my root clone bucket. I planted two and threw the rest out. The plants grew fine and I forgot about them, just a couple more clones.

Looking at that bucket full of clone shoots I paused and thought: "Who the fuck would want hundreds of clones? And it takes forever, back to the bubbler." I assumed, and did until recently, that root cloning was a common method that commercial growers used. I was shocked at how little there is on the net about it, including horticultural and science sites.

Since I brought up root cloning and made the claim that it works I see it as my responsibility to prove the claim. In this thread I'll track, with pictures, root cloning trials until we have a technique developed for regular success. I'm hoping the first trial so I can be done with this.

This test is going to be like watching sod grow, perhaps not as interesting. I'll check the roots every week or so and post some pics if there's anything to see.

"... In particular, the natural ability of roots of many species to form buds that develop into new shoots has been long recognized, and lists of species capable of forming ‘root buds’ are extensive. In some species, shoot buds occur sporadically on roots only after the root has been excised, whereas in other species one of the main functions of the root system appears to be the production of root buds. The formation of buds on roots enables the propagation of plants by root cuttings and is an important means of spreading noxious weeds. A variety of root tissue may be involved in bud differentiation, and the development pattern therefore varies considerably depending on the region of the root in which bud initiation occurs. Root buds of herbaceous species frequently arise endogenously, in a manner similar to initiation of lateral or adventitious roots. Therefore, descriptions of buds arising from both the pericycle and the phellogen or related tissues are frequently reported"

"In propagation by cuttage or layerage it is only necessary for a new root system to form, since the meristematic shoot apex comes directly from the parental plant. Many stem cells, even in mature plants, have the capability of producing adventitious roots. In fact, every vegetative cell in the plant contains the genetic information needed for an entire plant. Adventitious roots appear spontaneously from stems and old roots as opposed to systemic roots which appear along the developing root system originating in the embryo. In humid conditions (as in the tropics or a green house) adventitious roots occur naturally along the main stalk near the ground and along limbs where they droop and touch the ground."

soopy

soopy

Very interesting, great topic and I will follow your study intently. Sub'd.

It would be very cool to see a cannabis plant make a new top from a bottom, instead of a new bottom from a top. Makes me think of all those rootballs I've tossed.

T

theHERBivore

I think that was someone else's study that he posted and I think it ended up taking a long time for things to develop. So wondering what might speed up the process and if their might be a way to time it to where u know how long it takes so u can plan accordingly?

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
cool thread

subd...........cat wait:hi

Latest posts

Top Bottom