Root Development: What is missing?? How critical??

• Thread starter Islander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Islander

We are in the process of completing our first "large" scale grow. 8 1000w lights over 90 5gal smart pots filled with FoxFarm Ocean Forest with 25% perlite added. Various different strains with Grandaddy, OG Kush, and half a dozen Sativa. I used a Botanicaire feeding schedule that was provided by a friend/mentor who also provided the clones.

I had great veg growth during the first 4 weeks with healthy happy looking plants. Fimmed at about the 4 week mark and shortly afterward went into 12/12 from 16/8 light sched.

A couple of weeks into bloom I found my first powdery mildew and it was fairly advanced. As I was not actively looking for it, so it got a good hold in before I really found it. Started with Safer fungicide. Realized after about a week that giving the affected plants a squirt or two was not going to get the job done. I then brought out infected plants and really dosed them with the safer and would mist most other plants as a precaution. Went through 6 or seven bottles in a couple of days. Still there. Then I switched to Neem oil. This seemed at first to work better, but again I found myself spraying, spraying, and spraying. Started mixing up my own Neem. Still Spraying. I am on these threads trying to find out all I can about PM constantly. I found myself wandering around the grocery store when I had gone in for a pound of coffee mumbling "powdery mildew, powdery mildew" to myself trancelike. Then came the Hydrogen peroxide. Again an initial success but again it comes back and back. I increased strength until I was spraying the odd plant with a straight 3% solution. I stopped when one plant seemed to "dry up" and go yellow overnight! I finally hit on Green Cure and have been happy with it, one good treatment and the mold seemed to really subside.

But then while I was in the final 2 weeks of feeding before starting my final flush. It is about now that I notice that I have entire sections of plants, about 25 in all that are yellowing rapidly and looking very very poorly. They are gradually getting so dry (in spite of watering) that they are getting crunchy to the touch. They for all intents appear to be dieing. When I look at their buds with a scope however, they show lots and lots of healthy looking trichromes. So I carry on.

I am now in my first week of flush (5 days) and was forced to harvest the worst looking of the affected "yellow, crunchy" plants. There are others yellowing now.

Anyway, when harvested, these first most affected ones had virtually no root development. Their roots were thin and spindly barely reaching six inches out of the clone cube and just along the top of the pot. 80% of the soil material was not used at all. Hardly any root material at all.

What is up with that????? This non development of healthy roots has obviously hampered the plants ability to handle stress, and even the flowering process.

I personally am not happy with the Nute program. It just seems to me that I put these tiny little plants into these 5 gal pots of the most expensive highest quality organic soil, and then bombarded them with loads and loads of over the top Nutes. There must have been more that enough in that soil to get those little things vegging? It seems to me to be tooo much Nutes for too long, and too strong. Why grow roots when they are throwing food virtually down our throats?

I do still have some killer plants waiting to be harvested with healthy leaf and plump juicy nuggets. Beauties. I strongly suspect that when they are harvested, they will have large healthy root systems encompassing the entire soil area.

What is the solution here!!!!!!!! I have lost way too much yield to this premature yellow, dry, crunchy, deadish plant syndrome. HELP!!! What shold I do differently next time?

sky high

sky high

I'll toss out some ideas..... Sorry to hear about the problems, BTW.

Did you mix any perlite with the OF at transplant? IMO, it stays too wet right out of the bag. Wet conditions (IMO) promote a lack of root growth...or it just rots away/etc.

Too many nutes will stunt growth all around. My guess is that you are now reaching a toxicicity/build up of nutes in the soil that the plant can't take. Flushing only relases more nutes.... not much you can do, IMO

With OF there's some nutes already present..... so IMO the way to go is to concentrate early on in veg on getting some beneficial microbes/mychorrizae in there...great white....subculture...plant sucess..... whatever....but focus on this aspect of promoting root growth rather than hittin em with nutes and sending em into instant STRESS mode.

And while this seems simple....I always concentrate my watering efforts on new transplants AROUND thge edge of the pot rather than..as you say...dumping the water/etc right down their throats. Wet condtions on the outside...drier on the inside...and the plant will seek the moisture out and send the roots to it.....

my $.02..... goood luck goin forward.

s h

waayne

waayne

sky high,I couldn't agree more!
The most common problems tend to be over watering and over feeding
sounds like toxicity and possibly too
soggy of a medium
Good luck Islander!

I

Islander

Thanks Sky High, The medium was definitely not too wet at first as I had prepared all of the pots several days before hand and when we transplanted the soil was actually a bit too dry. I very well may have over watered a bit at the beginning and with all of the nutes in there it shocked them. They did all grow well through veg though and were all of comparative size. Yes I did add the perlite when I made up the smartpots about a week before transplanting. No CO2 added to the room. I was told as I was bringing in air directly from the outside through my intake fan & hepa filter that CO2 should not be a problem. I am planning on adding some Ascophyllum Nodosum Kelp to my next soil mixture and will look into adding some microbes as well. I am going to try to concentrate during the veg cycle on promoting root growth.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Ascophyllum Nodosum Kelp to my next soil mixture and will look into adding some microbes as well. I am going to try to concentrate during the veg cycle on promoting root growth.

Wise choice on the AN! This mix with some the peruvian seabird guano and u good to go! U will have a nice roots development and heathly new growth.

this is what i use, AN + Worm Casting Juice (this stuf is full of humic acid and fulvic) and some mycorrhizae.

I also use some powdered humic acid with great result.

When its come to roots u can't go wrong with this stuff, wish u the best! ;)

:volcano:

I

Islander

The Coolest Man, do you mix all this into the soil before transplanting? I found some AN at my local shop but it was in liquid form. They said that they thought that they could order dried for me. They also had Great White?? microbes but the instructions on it seemed to apply only to hydro. If you don't mind could you give me a bit of a recipe or instruction on the soil prep before transplanting my clones so as to best encourage root development. Thanks.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes i mix this into my soil a month and half befor using it. Here is the recipe for 1,5 cubic feet of soil:

1,5 cubic of biobizz light mix soil
25/30% perlite
20% vermiculite
25% worm casting

then:

1 cup Guano (i use peruvian sea bird guano)
A bit less than a cup of blood
1 cup of AN kelpt
.375 lbs. (6 oz) Rock Phosphates
2 cup dolomite lime
2 cup of powdered bones.

I water this soil mix with humic acid during the month and half, also water it with some worm casting juice. I use tap water that i let sit for 24hours at least. I dont PH my water... Check my thread linked at my sig if u want see my plants in that mix during veg, i showed the roots and how great they developed in that mix. I hope this mix will help u get better roots....

ps: i also add some dry kelpt AN to my water from time to time during veg...

Top Bottom