Root Pruning and Maintanence

• Thread starter UCMENOW
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UCMENOW

UCMENOW

What's a farmers thoughts on root pruning?

UC or otherwise what's your technique?

I prefer root pruning about 15-25 % of only the longest, running roots to help encourage lateral root growth and focus on filling the modules with roots. I typically do this at about the second week of veg and if Im feeling ambitious the second week in flower too, but only 10% +/-.

I prune the roots on the plants in the end modules at week for in flower to help keep the modules free flowing. Seems to keep things thriving and combat long running roots.

Farmers please chime in.

B

BudLust

ive been interested in deciding a prune gameplan as well. good advice ill try it out. also be lurkin to see if anyone else has input.

-boomer

B

Budshoteyes

Originally planned on a 12 five gallon bucket system and came upon 1 3/4inch bulkheads for cheap. At the moment I'm not sure wether to just do a rwdc or uc type system.....

I am considering that no matter what I do roots growing into pipes will be an issue. My thinking with the uc is that one can join the inlet and outlet pipe with a tube of screen that may not allow growth through the pipes.... Has anyone tried it yet?

C

crossouttheiis

check out the root sweet on the new uc.... its pretty clean! I agree with pruining to a certain degree

S

Seed Buyer

How does one person trim the roots? Seems like you would need at least one extra sets of hands to do this.

C

crossouttheiis

I just pick up the net pot with one hand, or if the roots are large enough I pick up the lid as well as the net pot together. Either way i hold it with one hand and then use sterile scissors and snip snip.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

What's a farmers thoughts on root pruning?

UC or otherwise what's your technique?

I prefer root pruning about 15-25 % of only the longest, running roots to help encourage lateral root growth and focus on filling the modules with roots. I typically do this at about the second week of veg and if Im feeling ambitious the second week in flower too, but only 10% +/-.

I prune the roots on the plants in the end modules at week for in flower to help keep the modules free flowing. Seems to keep things thriving and combat long running roots.

Farmers please chime in.

could not of said it better.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I root prune soil plants before transplanting never heard of root pruning in a uc.
Learn something new every day.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

As in the case of bonsai trees, root pruning is essential to maintain healthy root growth in small containers. The best time to root prune in bonsai is when the buds have formed but just before they open.

We root prune between veg and bloom to split the plants from the quad tops to individual modules, this does add a bit of stress along with the new influx of bloom nutrients, if possible I would root prune at about 10-12 days into flower and again in the last 2 weeks to clear any root debris from the end manifolds.

S

southern

What do you guys think in pruning the lateral roots of clones before putting them in the net pots for the UC? Does it really help with lateral growth? This run I had a long stretch of roots that didn't look ideal. I was wanting more of a giant ball.

j wizzle

j wizzle

if you guys are having a problem with your roots cloging up all the time, you might want to throw a T bracket with 2 elbows on the ends. this way there are 2 ways for the water to flow instead of only 1. i put a drain filter between the T bracket and the main duct. then i put 2 6" pvc pieces with elbows. now the roots need to travel longer to clog it up and i pull water from 2 sites instead of 1 on each bucket. eliminates dead spots in your buckets too so your nutes will mix better

j wizzle

j wizzle

heres a pic of my t bracket...you guys with stock UCs could do this by adding 1 1/2" pvc insert as a junction. you cant use its exactly like mine due to the 45 degree cut on the PVC.

i put a PVC drain screen inside the T bracket as well to stop roots from actually travelling into the next bucket. this way if there seems to be a clog, you only have to clear 2" of root mass....never had a clog though.

T bracket
IMG 1412

215greenmachine

J wizzle,
:hi
Those roots look nice and developed, but that brown, slimy look make me think they are very fragile and brittle? is this the case. If so, u might want to look into a root recovery and pythium eliminator product called "Regen-A-Root" by a company out of new zealand called cx hydroponics. Zone is a great product as well, and these two can be used together with great success.

Sorry if i'm completely wrong about what i see in the picture, I'm just going by what i see.

Good Luck Bro,

green machine:winking0067:

ttystikk

ttystikk

J wizzle,
:hi
Those roots look nice and developed, but that brown, slimy look make me think they are very fragile and brittle? is this the case. If so, u might want to look into a root recovery and pythium eliminator product called "Regen-A-Root" by a company out of new zealand called cx hydroponics. Zone is a great product as well, and these two can be used together with great success.

Sorry if i'm completely wrong about what i see in the picture, I'm just going by what i see.

Good Luck Bro,

green machine:winking0067:

Number one, those were nice, healthy good lookin' roots. Anyone should be so fortunate.

Number two, I used Regen-a-root, with decidedly mixed results. I think DM zone works better as a sterilant, and boost with H2O2.

Phaivor

Phaivor

Number one, those were nice, healthy good lookin' roots. Anyone should be so fortunate.

Number two, I used Regen-a-root, with decidedly mixed results. I think DM zone works better as a sterilant, and boost with H2O2.

i agree with ttystikk, yes roots are a lil brown but woop dee doo people get brown roots from ebb & flow flood & drain tables all the time & the DM ZONE is great and should be used in every feeding or at-least i do:mmm

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

pruning roots 2-3 times now prior to entering the UC. Really helps a lot.

smokie

smokie

DS
How long are the roots, before you first pull out the scissors on them?

Top Bottom