Root Rot help

• Thread starter Sprechen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sprechen

Ok.

So, I've read all the threads on root rot prevention and maintenance that I could find.

I am pretty sure that I have it on my veg plants in my UC.

Now what I need to know is what should I do first.

I currently have PBP bloom, cal/mag, and hygrozyme in the veg system.

Should I run bleach through the system as DS does. Then drain system and put fresh water back in with just Pbp bloom and cal/mag.

I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment with what I should do to hammer on this before it gets worse.

I have some ideas but I wanted your input before I get started.

Thanks in advance.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't know, but I give really good bump.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

^that is awesome sig material right there, Sea! ;-p

I think you should drain & refill (just water) first, then sanitize/sterilize with bleach or H202 or what have you and recirculate for a couple of hours, then drain that & refill with a diluted(1/2 to 1/3 strength) nutrient solution. And definitely ditch the hygrozyme, general consensus is that sh!t is not for the UC.

I

Innov8tr

What makes you think its rot, what problems are you having? Can you post some pics of the roots?

St3ve

St3ve

I can't speak for that method but I can tell you what worked for me personally. AquaShield.

AS is typically used PROACTIVELY to help prevent root rot but in my case, it help stop it. I was about 3 weeks into veg in my UC and two plants started getting brown roots. It wasn't too terrible so I thought I would give the AS a shot just to see and it worked. Been hitting my plants with it once a week (veg and flower) ever since and have never had a problem. (knock wood)

S

Sprechen

Ok I was on it early this morning so I took action before i read these posts, but here is what I did.

The plants in the veg were still smal

I mixed a 5 gal bucket with 10ml/gal of H202.
I mixed in 2 ml per gal 6%bleach in the Uc and let it recirculate while I did the following
Removed each plant individually and cut of 70% of the root mass that was infected.
I then dipped each plant in the H202 bucket solution.
I then dipped each plant back in the UC system bucket with the 2ml/gal 6%bleach solution and swished around until roots looked clean.
I then put each plant into a small cup of plain ro h20.

That is where I am currently.

I have put more bleach in the UC system making it approximatley 10ml/gal of bleach and I am going to let this run for a few hours.

I plan to make a mild bleach solution spray to spray the entire veg room with while I wait.

I then plan to start over in the veg room running the suggested method of DS in his how to veg in the uc system.

How does this sound?

S

Sprechen

Sorry, and by start over in the veg room I mean I am going to put the plants that were infected back in the veg room to see if they will bounce back.

I am also planning to get more clones started today, in case the infected plants dont start to improve in the next two weeks, while I wait for the new clones to root.

BCrocker

BCrocker

are the plants in the UC system with the bleach running through it?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Why the rot? what conditions exist that are causin your problem?

Not a good idea to go back into veg, takes forever to revert and it hteir sick they are goin to take even longer, big waste of time and energy IMO

Tex

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Hygrozime might be causing your issue. Its known to be problematic in the UC.

S

Sprechen

Why the rot? what conditions exist that are causin your problem?

Not a good idea to go back into veg, takes forever to revert and it hteir sick they are goin to take even longer, big waste of time and energy IMO

Tex

Tex,

The rot came from having the clones in an ez cloner for too long I believe, that combined with my inexperience. I added sweet and liquid karma, like i did in my ebb and flow, before checking these threads. My bad. Then I took some advice from someone who was not as experienced as all of you and added Hygrozyme.

Perfect storm for me. Ha. Well, usually I am a pretty good grower, however this all took me by surprise. Live an learn.

Just FYI the plants with rot were in veg. Not going back into veg from Bloom. They are still in veg and very small. Really I have the two weeks till my new clones root and are ready so I want to see if this sensitization regime gets them healthy without killing them. I think that it is pretty harsh but we will see.

S

Sprechen

Hygrozime might be causing your issue. Its known to be problematic in the UC.

Thanks DS I kind of figured that might be a problem after reading all the threads here.

Do you think that I can take the veg plants that I just sanitized and put them back in the UC with your veg routine and have good results? They barely have any roots left, I cut the hell out of them in order to get them clean. They are quite small.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

^that is awesome sig material right there, Sea! ;-p

I think you should drain & refill (just water) first, then sanitize/sterilize with bleach or H202 or what have you and recirculate for a couple of hours, then drain that & refill with a diluted(1/2 to 1/3 strength) nutrient solution. And definitely ditch the hygrozyme, general consensus is that sh!t is not for the UC.

what rate do you use the bleach at? and can I use something like javex?

S

Sprechen

Ok, so end of my day.

This is what I did to my veg UC today.

I mixed a 5 gal bucket with 10ml/gal of H202.
I mixed in 2 ml per gal 6%bleach in the Uc and let it recirculate while I did the following
Removed each plant individually and cut of 70% of the root mass that was infected.
I then dipped each plant in the H202 bucket solution.
I then dipped each plant back in the UC system bucket with the 2ml/gal 6%bleach solution and swished around until roots looked clean.
I then put each plant into a small cup of plain ro h20.

I ran the system for 3 hours with the bleach solution
I drained the system 90% and scrubbed with a green scrubbie.
I refilled with 5ml/gal bleach and ran for 2 hours.
I completely drained system and rinsed with RO water
I refilled with RO water with 5ml H202 and I am currently cycling this for the next 15 hours.

I am then going to return the sanitized "hopefully" veg plants to the system and follow Desert squirrels veg routine.

So, thanks for all the suggestions.

Anyone think that I have made a mistake or anyone have any suggestions before I begin again tomorrow?

G

growmamamt

Pyth is killing me!!

I have had root rot for the first time ever and I am dying! been three weeks at least 6 rez changes. h202, pythoff and zone, tried it all. my plants are alive and have buds but super sloooow growth. my roots are tiny and I finally see new ones coming. right now I am at 900 ppm and I have pythoff and zone in my system and have stopped with h2o2 and my ph is just barely climbing and pretty stable. the last week it seems my water starts to smell every 2 days and I need to re-add zone and pythoff. Dutch Master dudes said maybe the zone was bad. so here are some questions.... how long until I should see new roots? should I keep going with zone and pythoff in my nutes or should I switch out and use nutes and h2o2. can you use zone and pythoff with h2o2? should I use aquashield? thinking of dropping the rz again and adding h202 and aquashield...how much is this going to effect my bud times? they have been just growing slowly for 3 weeks and I was in week 3 of bud when this started but it looks like I am still in week 3ish....is this a losing battle even though they are still kind of growing and not dying? UGH! so many questions----would die for a phone call at my tiny grow store from the amazing desertsquirrel----hint, hint!

thanks for any help----xxxxxxxxxx laura

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
I have had root rot for the first time ever and I am dying! been three weeks at least 6 rez changes. h202, pythoff and zone, tried it all. my plants are alive and have buds but super sloooow growth. my roots are tiny and I finally see new ones coming. right now I am at 900 ppm and I have pythoff and zone in my system and have stopped with h2o2 and my ph is just barely climbing and pretty stable. the last week it seems my water starts to smell every 2 days and I need to re-add zone and pythoff. Dutch Master dudes said maybe the zone was bad. so here are some questions.... how long until I should see new roots? should I keep going with zone and pythoff in my nutes or should I switch out and use nutes and h2o2. can you use zone and pythoff with h2o2? should I use aquashield? thinking of dropping the rz again and adding h202 and aquashield...how much is this going to effect my bud times? they have been just growing slowly for 3 weeks and I was in week 3 of bud when this started but it looks like I am still in week 3ish....is this a losing battle even though they are still kind of growing and not dying? UGH! so many questions----would die for a phone call at my tiny grow store from the amazing desertsquirrel----hint, hint!

thanks for any help----xxxxxxxxxx laura

If you're experiencing root issues it's important to drop your nute concentration (try about 350-450ppm) to allow the juvenille roots to develop. Without this reduced dosage you may continue to experience problems as the young roots suffer from the higher salt (mineral) levels.

Also assuming you've removed the dead and dying root material u may consider reducing the usage of so many root sterilants and allow the roots to recover and begin growing.

C

crossouttheiis

down under hydrofungicide run at one ml per gallon/ each day for 7 to 10 days. That has saved me more than a few times.

Top Bottom