Root rot ?? Please take a look

• Thread starter Smokey0418
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I have some issue that I’m trying to resolve.
I have read @Aqua Man sticky and I just can seem to kick this stuff.

I run botanicare kind nutes
Also have a bit of rapid start in there and rhino silica and hydroguard
RO water 4 ppm
175 ppm calmag( 5ml/g)
2ml/g silica
1ml/g rapid start
30 % mix ratio at 4ml/8ml base/grow which is bottle recommendation
That was another 125ppm

total 300ppm or .6 ec

water temp 69 , was as high as 74 but has come back down.

roots have been rinsed again and 5ml/g of hydroguard was poured through 4 pots.
Is it the temp, is the hydroguard broken .
If you have any ideas I am open for suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

AA885C8D 5725 43B3 9365 6EBD1F47F012

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Fix all light leaks, act like all plumbing leaks light. Act like light is blasting in through every exposed air and water lines. I just cover everything with a blanket or towel, perhaps multiple.

Rinse your roots with tap water that's the same temp as your res water. Gently massage them until they are not slimy.

Make new batch of nutrients. U can get away with 100ppm of calmag. Place cleaned roots and plant in new solution. 4ml hydroguard per gallon.. When ur done.. That is required.

Keep roots completely submerged under water while you have root rot.

If you have a pump and filter, once the plant is back in your system, massage them while submerged then clean your filter an hour later. If no filter.. Dump in 24,hrs and repeat process. Should clear up after a few changes. Key part. . Get a pump and simple filter.. I go to bed now. Good luck I'm sure others will finish ya

If you have a water pump and filter, change the filter one hour after your

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

Light leaks are now resolved. But I forget to wash prior to entering new home.

I have doubled up the guard and I have been reluctant to put my filter back on.

Flow was fine then while adding nutes it was like my filter was plugged . I have heard of silica gelling up but I really don’t know what was going on.
So I took it out for now.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Keep roots completely submerged under water while you have root rot.
That is how he probably got the root rot in the first place. Unless there are air stones in the water, don't do it. Even then...
Roots NEED oxygen too....

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Ur filter is plugged with decaying organic matter and microbes. Your hydroguard doesn't need to colonize there, it needs to colonize in your roots. So after you massage wait an hour then clean your filter with Hott water. Take it out slowly, it will pour black liquid down into ur res lol.... I did this twice a day and mine cleared uo with only the initial res change... I think u will be fine as long as you see it getting better and not worse.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

That is how he probably got the root rot in the first place. Unless there are air stones in the water, don't do it. Even then...
No one runs hydro without airstones. Since he's over 70 Temps he needs to eliminate his air gap until this is fixed Light leaks cause the growth to become uncontrollable in my opinion.

My roots are always submerged.. Always. I had 30 gallon last 45 days lol.. Without dumping.. . Eliminated root rot in rdwc without dumping.. Roots were legit black.. 100x this.

If he doesn't have airstones it will happen with or without them being submerged unless hes Fallponics.

Anyways Im off to bed.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I do use stones , one under each of my four , it’s undercurrent.
I do have an inch of space but do my pots by hand every few days or so.
Just come from a tote that was submerged an inch.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I do use stones , one under each of my four , it’s undercurrent.
I do have an inch of space but do my pots by hand every few days or so.
Just come from a tote that was submerged an inch.
Just let us know the steps you have taken since reading my first comment. I can assure you it will go away if you do it just like I said.

I never top feed. I place a one inch tap rooted seed into the rockwool and put my water level to about 1/4 up the rockwool, just enough so it wicks it up and I don't have to top feed. Pretty easy.

Again if it's getting worse and not better after doing all that let us know and we can try other things.

Ponky

Ponky

I lift my plants up by the stalk and if the roots come off. Root rot. If no root rot it's a giant tangle of white roots with about 10 thick gnarly roots and a big tangle of regular looking roots. And there's no way you could pull the roots off the stalk. If no root rot then you're good to keep going. That and when they stop growing and slowly die.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They need to be submerged roots don't rot from water and the bennies can get to them if they aren't in water.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like nute staining not rot to me. Of clear slime it's just beneficial bacteria.

Top feed once a week from now on to keep the roots inoculated and water 1" below net pot.

Root rot will smell awful and have very dark spots.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

There is no stain, it’s like a gummy brown slime.
It’s minimal today , two root ends on one had like a drip hanging from it.
Add the majority look a bit whiter.
the new roots coming are pure white compare to the covered ones.

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

I believe everything is headed in the proper direction.
Upping the dose , washing this stuff off and cooler temps seem to be livening this party up.
Whiter roots and new growth are on the horizon.
Raised my ec .66 while adding level to the bottom of the pot but will run an inch lower once they drink up.

Water temp now 67-68.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah they were looking decent in the last pic I'd say it just took a bit longer to fix bro.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Cashmeh brings up a good point. Once the roots hit the water and establish for a few days you can literally raise the water up the net pot... I dont find the need as I top feed to clean the hydroton once a week of any salt buildup and inoculate the roots... but it's absolutely not a bad thing as most believe. You just don't want to do it to early before the roots structure has had time to change.

Latest posts

Top Bottom