ROOT ROT PREVENTION - Please Help

• Thread starter theoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
theoe

theoe

Seedlings.. ahh. Well I start those in a rapid rooter if you want to use hydroponic. Unusually grow a seedling in soil and clone to make hydroponic clones.
Is rapid router/a root riot plug organic? Would it work in a sterile setup? what about root hormones too?

theoe

theoe

You want to put the seedlings directly in a basket of hydroton?

I don't think that would work, you should start them off in a rockwool cube or a root riot type of plug.
Wouldn’t be using a basket or net pot either as no DWC. Just hopefully a regular pot with a drainage hole and filled with clay pebbles

Ponky

Ponky

Wouldn’t be using a basket or net pot either as no DWC. Just hopefully a regular pot with a drainage hole and filled with clay pebbles
You mean one that has a continuous flow of water?

theoe

theoe

Well I was hoping only to irrigate a few times a day at the most. But if it means continuous pump action if necessary then yeah

theoe

theoe

The system I have setup at the moment would mean the roots never touch the res and would just get fed from a top feed emitter as and when is necessary. If that means the pump being on continuously then so be it. I get that hydroton needs regular irrigation

Ponky

Ponky

Well I was hoping only to irrigate a few times a day at the most. But if it means continuous pump action if necessary then yeah
Well its unique. Might have some salt build up. Buy yeah a clay pot full of clay pebbles and a continuous flow of water should work and also be pretty cool. As in it should help maintain a lower temperature. Maybe a kiddie pool and some pond pumps. What kind of food are you looking to use?

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

I am a noob starting my first ever indoor hydroponic tent grow but have had real difficulty getting my ladies past seedling stage before they suffer from damping off or root rot. I am using rockwool starter cubes and intend to transfer them to larger cubes and then use a recycled drip system reservoir. I still haven’t even managed to get them past starter cube stage and its really haunting me. I have tried diluted H2O2 to try and salvage them to no avail. After some research I understand that ‘beneficial bacteria’ alongside nutrients (I am using tripart GH nutes) can help in preventing and fighting off root rot. The brand I keep coming across is Botanicare Hydroguard. I have also heard about SnakeOil and Great White. The problem is I am in Europe and none of these products seem available unless for an extortionate price. I have also heard that using some sort of pond bacteria could work. What are peoples opinions on these products? Can anybody suggest any affordable alternatives?

Really would be so appreciative of any advice!
I keep damp off at bay by bottom watering until the plants have one good true set of leaves. If I do not bottom water before first true set is open I get damp off every single solitary time. I would think this applies to rw as well. Maybe you are bottom watering and I missed it. If so my apologies.

Ponky

Ponky

The system I have setup at the moment would mean the roots never touch the res and would just get fed from a top feed emitter as and when is necessary. If that means the pump being on continuously then so be it. I get that hydroton needs regular irrigation
Sounds like it would work great. The clay pot contains the roots. And lots of airflow too. And probably look pretty good too.

theoe

theoe

Well its unique. Might have some salt build up. Buy yeah a clay pot full of clay pebbles and a continuous flow of water should work and also be pretty cool. As in it should help maintain a lower temperature. Maybe a kiddie pool and some pond pumps. What kind of food are you looking to use?
Yeah salt buildup is another worry. Can that be dealt with with some kind of sodium removing additive or am I just being thick? 😳

theoe

theoe

I keep damp off at bay by bottom watering until the plants have one good true set of leaves. If I do not bottom water before first true set is open I get damp off every single solitary time. I would think this applies to rw as well. Maybe you are bottom watering and I missed it. If so my apologies.
I think you might be right actually

theoe

theoe

Well its unique. Might have some salt build up. Buy yeah a clay pot full of clay pebbles and a continuous flow of water should work and also be pretty cool. As in it should help maintain a lower temperature. Maybe a kiddie pool and some pond pumps. What kind of food are you looking to use?just GH tripartite

just GH tri part

theoe

theoe

Cheers guys I really really appreciate all your input! I’m off to catch some Z’s but will defo keep you posted! it is such a joy knowing there is a community of helpful and passionate Gromies. THANK YOU!

Anthem

Anthem

Sterile environments are more susceptible to root rot than live environments.

Most chemicals used to destroy the cell walls of bacteria easily will not destroy the fungus as easily.

Your essentially killing all the bacteria on a sterile system but not the fungus, your actually trying to prevent it. If you have a good system, it will be prevented, but all the chemicals in the world won't stop bad root rot... Yet bacteria will... As long as you don't kill them with chemicals.
Are you trying to say Hydrochloric acid does not kill fungi? This is one of the most common forms of sterilizing a grow. And the active ingredient in the product I us for running a sterile Rez. Secondly this is the same acid used in many animals stomachs to kill off fungi, including humans.

dbrzz

dbrzz

I am a noob starting my first ever indoor hydroponic tent grow but have had real difficulty getting my ladies past seedling stage before they suffer from damping off or root rot. I am using rockwool starter cubes and intend to transfer them to larger cubes and then use a recycled drip system reservoir. I still haven’t even managed to get them past starter cube stage and its really haunting me. I have tried diluted H2O2 to try and salvage them to no avail. After some research I understand that ‘beneficial bacteria’ alongside nutrients (I am using tripart GH nutes) can help in preventing and fighting off root rot. The brand I keep coming across is Botanicare Hydroguard. I have also heard about SnakeOil and Great White. The problem is I am in Europe and none of these products seem available unless for an extortionate price. I have also heard that using some sort of pond bacteria could work. What are peoples opinions on these products? Can anybody suggest any affordable alternatives?

Really would be so appreciative of any advice!
Too much water is most likely your problem. Seedlings must be kept moist but not wet. Excessive water causes the seedling to drown and anaerobic bacteria to thrive. These conditions cause death to your seedlings roots and “damping off”occurs.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Are you trying to say Hydrochloric acid does not kill fungi? This is one of the most common forms of sterilizing a grow. And the active ingredient in the product I us for running a sterile Rez. Secondly this is the same acid used in many animals stomachs to kill off fungi, including humans.
I feel sterilizing allows for short term gains while super bugs are created in the background. I dont like talking about the side effects doctors cause with all their meds. So sure, we can use those treatments like Europe did with antibiotics, then crack down on the use later. We seen with humans the creation of antibiotic resistant bacteria. Im suggesting the same happens with fungus. Im not saying you cant kill it right now at this point in history. Im suggesting that if you run a live environment, you will be less likely to come into problems you cant fix. Idk how long sterile/live have been being used in the weed industry. I do know that since they started using these methods in humans we have more and more people with auto immune disorders.

With biofloc shrimp farming you run into less risk of disease than compared to clear water filtration. Im just assuming given the trends, its not the best method for the plants assuming fungus adapts like bacteria, yet is harder to kill using the same bacteria killing methods.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Great info on root rot, dealing with this myself right now due to my own negligence.
I don’t know what others are talking about beneficial bacteria being hard to find or too expensive. This is the same bacteria used in hydroguard. It’s waaaay cheaper and you need to use waaay less of it. 1ml to 20gal instead of 2ml to 1 gal. Live and sterile reservoirs both work but if you get your live dialed in you don’t have to constantly dose your system only on full res changes.
As far as sterile goes has anyone had any results with pond treatments? I stumbled upon this zerotol they sell it in smaller quantities, wondering if this is a viable option for a sterile res???

9860A1AD F2B6 4908 908B 828C481CDF4B
5A32491C 446E 44F0 933E E3CAFD06845A
280FDE7E 99FF 47E7 8DC2 0AE8DF997ED2
Top Bottom