Rootbound Photo

• Thread starter The Jewels
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The Jewels

The Jewels

I used the search tool , and did not have anything jump out, with this title.

There are many experienced vetrans and novice growers alike, posting up beautiful photos of top notch grows,,,
there are also noobs like myself, floundering along, collecting, absorbing and snowballing knowledge, as fast as we can .

I make mistakes constantly, and try to learn from them .
Success stems from avoiding 'limiting factors' - by providing the essentials.

This plant almost had it all ,,, medium, light, temp, humidity, moisture,,,love .

I see - drooping leaves, stunted growth, slow growth, and necrosis beginning from bottom up .

I had this on the backburner and in the last week alone, I saw this 'lil one taking a nose dive .
It was getting chilly at night (17 C.)
So I bumped it up.
I thought it was overwatered so I left it alone for a couple days,,,I assumed it was dry so I topped it up - the next day I hear death rasping on the nursery door.

What it lacks is realeastate.
I popped the plant from the geisha's shoes, and used a boxcutter to slash a hotcross bun along the underside, I teased the cube apart and planted the tooth into an appropriately sized container .
Hopefully this will turn around for me .
As I am , learn from my mistakes :sleep:

Rootbound photo

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I used the search tool , and did not have anything jump out, with this title.

There are many experienced vetrans and novice growers alike, posting up beautiful photos of top notch grows,,,
there are also noobs like myself, floundering along, collecting, absorbing and snowballing knowledge, as fast as we can .

I make mistakes constantly, and try to learn from them .
Success stems from avoiding 'limiting factors' - by providing the essentials.

This plant almost had it all ,,, medium, light, temp, humidity, moisture,,,love .

I see - drooping leaves, stunted growth, slow growth, and necrosis beginning from bottom up .

I had this on the backburner and in the last week alone, I saw this 'lil one taking a nose dive .
It was getting chilly at night (17 C.)
So I bumped it up.
I thought it was overwatered so I left it alone for a couple days,,,I assumed it was dry so I topped it up - the next day I hear death rasping on the nursery door.

What it lacks is realeastate.
I popped the plant from the geisha's shoes, and used a boxcutter to slash a hotcross bun along the underside, I teased the cube apart and planted the tooth into an appropriately sized container .
Hopefully this will turn around for me .
As I am , learn from my mistakes :sleep:

View attachment 856924
You answered your own question.its still over watered.u need to let it dry out between watering and keep doing that.are u trying to get a soil plant to root into those clay pebbles?

The Jewels

The Jewels

Realising it was not dry
Twas watered
Following
Morning , apeared as photo'd

I paused ,to take a photo for your viewing pleasure, and then
used a boxcutter to slash a hotcross bun along the underside, I teased the cube apart and planted the tooth into an appropriately sized ** container .

*Dirt*

The Jewels

The Jewels

are u trying to get a soil plant to root into those clay pebbles?
I was bracing stretchy sprouts , with the clay leca, on top of the dirt.
When I pushed the transplant out , the pebbles hit the ground first, I set the seedling down and captured the image before replanting .

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
When things get rootbound, they don't usually look like they need watered unless there isn't enough moisture in the growing medium. If it is rootbound, it WILL dry out much faster...the more rootbound the more quickly it dries out. It also stunts the plant because the nutrients get used up very quickly since there isn't much soil to be stored in. While your photo shows it being rootbound, it isn't really too badly rootbound...but def ready for a new and larger house.
I would have just planted the cube in your dirt of choice...taking the cube apart will invariably damage some roots, although it should recover. It actually doesn't look bad other than needing some groceries and a bigger bungalow...something that will probably happen once it gets used to it's new home. Keep up the good work!

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Do u have any smaller containers to put it in?I like to only pot up into pots with maybe an inch of space around each side of the root ball and let it take root there .I don't like putting a tiny wee plant with a small root mass and put it into a big pot of soil.it takes longer to dry out and longer for the plants roots to take into it.unless you know what your doing as far as establishing small plants into big pots goes.
If you only have that pot in the pic I would suggest an inch of just moist soil on the bottom,plant on top then filled around loosely-don't pack it down too hard-with just moist soil.not dripping wet.
What your trying to do is get the roots out looking for water.teasing em out looking for water by leaving the soil to dry out a good bit-not completely of course.its gotta stay a little moist .you have to get a good wet/dry cycle going.lift it wen wet to feel the weight then wen it drys out a good bit you,l feel it much lighter.if they'r sat wet all the time they drown because there's no oxygen and they don't grow.in soil at least.not in coco but that's a whole different thing.
Anyway roots love oxygen that's why the roots and plants grow faster wen the soils only moist with more oxygen within the root zone which the roots love and you know what they say about roots?big roots equals big fruits.or something like that.
I hope i,v not confused you or if that doesn't make sense.its just I'm fucked up.been smoking all day n night.fuck who am I kidding,i,v be smoking all millenium.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Do u have any smaller containers to put it in?I like to only pot up into pots with maybe an inch of space around each side of the root ball and let it take root there .I don't like putting a tiny wee plant with a small root mass and put it into a big pot of soil.it takes longer to dry out and longer for the plants roots to take into it.unless you know what your doing as far as establishing small plants into big pots goes.

An interesting difference of process.:cool: I usually go from a popped seed with a 1" tail on it directly into a 5 or 6 gallon bucket with just a little Promix sprinkled over it to keep it from drying out. I use promix with added compost/manure and wood ashes. As you mentioned, Coco and Promix doesn't hold too much water and I find it impossible to overwater as long as there is adequate drain holes in the bottom.
I'm not disputing any other methods...everyone has their own way that works best for them. I'm just lazy and skip some of the steps. Keep up the good work.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I go solo cup to 1 gal to 3-5 gal.. don’t like transplanting every couple days myself lol

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Solo cup - 1 gal - 3 gal - 5 gal - 7 gal is my preferred method.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Those roots shouldn't be out in the open air like that.. Hope you have that buried now.
But yeah its overwatered. Looks well rooted but I doubt it's completely rootbound at that stage. Just back way off on the waterings.

Personally I go from 2x2" pots, to 1 gallon, then straight to 7 gallon. You dont want to transplant any more times than is necessary really.

Top Bottom