Roots coming out of fabric pots

• Thread starter mdma21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mdma21

mdma21

Anyone had that? Was wondeting why i had all these white thing appeating all around my pot...these are 3 Gallons plants are 4 weeks old only! Should i transplant them? Leaves are clawing for unknow reason that doesnt seems to be nutrients related, could they just need some space?

Roots coming out of fabric pots
Roots coming out of fabric pots 2
Roots coming out of fabric pots 3
Enforcer

Enforcer

No. The benefits of using a fabric pot is the air pruning you’re seeing on the side right now. The roots will grow until it hits the fabric. Then it will terminate and send out tertiary roots. This results in a dense root ball. Don’t transplant yet. You’re good.

Now the clawing is a different issue.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Anyone had that? Was wondeting why i had all these white thing appeating all around my pot...these are 3 Gallons plants are 4 weeks old only! Should i transplant them? Leaves are clawing for unknow reason that doesnt seems to be nutrients related, could they just need some space?

Are you in coco or soil?

mdma21

mdma21

Are you in coco or soil?
Coco / perlite. When i noticed the clawing i cut back on the nutes by half with no improvement. I water twice daily with dilute nutes thinking that might help but its not.

mdma21

mdma21

Let em dry out longer, claw is nitrogen tox, from overwatering.
Watering twce daily with more dilutes nutes hasnt improve anything so im now thinking of letting it dry more see where it goes...

mdma21

mdma21

You're seeing the value of fabric pots in action. Air pruning will take care of em. However, the leaves indicate a bit of overwatering.
Ok. Ill try to water less and see where it goes.

mdma21

mdma21

I wouldn’t recommend that with coco. Are you getting plenty of runoff and what is the EC of the runoff compared to the input EC?
For the first two weeks my PPM IN / OUT was 1150/ 1500.

So i flushed it good and got the run offs at 500. Because a lot were saying its N tox, i lowered my PPM IN at 5-600 and so far my run offs are around 500.
My run offs looks more like 80-90% than the classic 10-20% that you see a lot around. To avoid salt build up.

I spent i dont know how many hours looking to solve the leaves clawing and could not find anything that fits my set up. New growth is clawing. Ive raised my light to 22in with no success. Ive lowered my ppm with no success.

Temp and humidity are in range. Exhaust fan is on a 50-50 timer.

Really dont know and wasnt expecting coco to be so hard to fine tune. They started so fine but last 10 days its no fun.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
What pH are you feeding at? It does look like N toxicity, early stage. I also agree, can't really overwater coco (didn't realize what forum this was in). Have you noticed any pests? Gnats, or little crawling shits in the media?

mdma21

mdma21

What pH are you feeding at? It does look like N toxicity, early stage. I also agree, can't really overwater coco (didn't realize what forum this was in). Have you noticed any pests? Gnats, or little crawling shits in the media?
Im always aiming for 5.8 using a cheap ph pen that i calibrate every now and then. Im looking on and under leaves and i dont see anything, but some leaves have small holes in them.

Enforcer

Enforcer

For the first two weeks my PPM IN / OUT was 1150/ 1500.

So i flushed it good and got the run offs at 500. Because a lot were saying its N tox, i lowered my PPM IN at 5-600 and so far my run offs are around 500.
My run offs looks more like 80-90% than the classic 10-20% that you see a lot around. To avoid salt build up.

I spent i dont know how many hours looking to solve the leaves clawing and could not find anything that fits my set up. New growth is clawing. Ive raised my light to 22in with no success. Ive lowered my ppm with no success.

Temp and humidity are in range. Exhaust fan is on a 50-50 timer.

Really dont know and wasnt expecting coco to be so hard to fine tune. They started so fine but last 10 days its no fun.

Ok. What type of light are you using? How often are you watering to runoff?

mdma21

mdma21

Ok. What type of light are you using? How often are you watering to runoff?
So first the first two weeks i had i burple which wasnt strong enough.

Jan 6 i switched to a BP 3000 led white light and ive hanged at 22 in.

Ive been watering to run off every day with nutes, since i noticed the clawing i diluted all by half and water twice instead of once with more diluted.

Looking at my photo log, the first date that i see clawing is on jan 7, right when i switched light. The thing is that every growth stage is affected, not just the top part. ( But every new growth, top or bottom seems worst than first big leaves) Could that be the light switch?
Thanks for helping btw

tobh

tobh

Supporter
hmmmm... i'm not sure about the light being the culprit. I've never seen a light cause clawing, at least not like what you have. Normally you'd have bleaching, and eventually burnt leaf flesh. 22C is a bit cold for em, what's the RH at? With LED's you want to be up around 26-28C, and 50-60% RH.

Madbud

Madbud

Never grew in coco so pretty much talkin out my ass but i know the plant so here goes. Coco and perlite? I dont get that, coco is so dry and perlite is solid air basically so my first question to coco growers is why not coco and vermiculite? There, throat punch me. Second, over and under watering looks about the same to me, wilted droopy, dieing ; but underwatered plants come back in a couple minutes so put the coco perlite in a bucket of water. If it starts praying, good, otherwise the coco dries out quick, no loss. Maybe a couple dunks will flush it too. My advice, your grow.
Edit: if you think its underwatered maybe those roots are thirsty enough for a pan of water. From what i read of coco, the top is usually dry so they cover with clay balls to hold moisture. Fart noise

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom