Roots dying off coming out bottom of rock wool.

• Thread starter Nameless_fcuk89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

I’ve been having a lot of issues with this grow because I’m trying to veg my plants without a hydro system for the first time. My first issue was dunking the cubes instead of watering with 10% runoff. There doing much better now but my question is, are the roots that are coming out of the bottom of the 4 in rock wool cube supposed to slowly die off if not in a system or what? The roots were looking perfect for a long time and now there slowly Turning brown and dying off. I’m thinking that this is normal right, it’s like air pruning right?

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

You need to put a rockwool pad under the cube so the roots grow into the pad. You will cut the top of the pad to fit the cube. The roots wont. grow through the plastic around the pad.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Hey Nameless.
You’re right. It’s air pruning. Nothing to worry about if you plan to just flower and be done with them.
If you plan on keeping them around, put a slab under them.
I also top water rock wool. I have the entire flood table setup but don’t use it.
Have been doing it that way this entire run. Now in week 4 flower with no issues.
Plan on using the flood next run though.
Good luck bud.

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

Thanks for the reply’s guys... Yeah I was planning on vegging them for about a month just hand watering them because I’m doing a perpetual grow. There only 3 weeks old and they had a pack of super white roots and then over about a week now they are slowly dying off. So this is perfectly normal??

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

I don’t have a flood table or anything, I just water every other day or until 50% dry back. My buddy says that you can veg your plants as long as you want just hand watering the blocks but every time I’ve done it like this... without a system I run into these issues.

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

Im starting to think I have nutrient lockout or something... idk but they look sad to me and the growth has slowed quite a bit. Here are some pics if anybody can help me figure out wtf keeps happening. Like I said every time I start strait in my flow & grow system then I’m good. But I can’t get these going when I hand water them. Is the roots dying off and turning brown like this normal?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Are they slimy at all? Weird smell? That algae can be problematic too, you need to put some caps on those cubes. It'll lead to fungus and mold eventually, and then you'll have real problems. Also, more details about the feed regimen and environment would be helpful. How much are you feeding? pH? Are you using enzymes and h2o2 or beneficial bacteria or sterile?

Just because you're hand watering, you're still in a hydro media, gotta approach it the same way.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

Mine are actually not much different.
This is the runt though. I can’t pick up the rest to look.
Never really have.

E78A102C F56C 4370 A7C4 422DAA3053A7
Last edited:
Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

Ok so I just flushed and there was definitely an issue cause my runoff ph was at 6.7 and I’ve been watering at 5.8, my environment is controlled by an environmental controller.
Temp- 75
Humidity- 65%
Co2- 700ppm
Feeding- GH trio and just started adding hydrozyme with some cal mag.... ppms at like 700 to 800.
So I was just thinking the same thing about the algae raising my ph like this cause I water from the top.... or it could be nutrient lockout. I need this issue to be figured out so I don’t keep repeating it.

Goodthingsgrow

Goodthingsgrow

I think you may be overwatering and not getting enough oxygen down to the roots.
Looking at my pic you can see the spaces in the rock wool where the oxygen gets in.
Your pic looks compressed and wet, with no space for oxygen. The algae right through on the sides might also be a sign.

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

When i ran ebb and flow for veg waaay back 10+ years we filled the entire 2x4 tray with hydroton. All ive ever read has stated to cover the rockwool to prevent algae. Thats why I jist bought a small amount for my 2 plant grow.

Another thing we never left the plastic on the rockwool. Is this something new? I just cut mine off, am soaking now so I can transplant

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

So how do I fix that... there properly spaced apart? It looks like your roots are barely starting to come through on that cube. Mine was nothing but white roots like these ones. I planted these a few weeks after and the roots are fine on these but I wondering if what’s happening to the roots on the ones I posted earlier is normal and gonna happen to these after awhile? Idk...

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

Do they need to be transplanted when roots start coming out the bottom all crazy??

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Just depends on what you're going to do with them. Im running dwc so mine need to be in cups and my seedlings are in rapid rooters. So im putting my rapid rooters into the 4" grodan rockwool cubes.

Where they are npw is perfect to put them in cups and start dwc. But im not sure what your plans are

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

So I have a veg room and a flower room and I have been told that you can veg without a hydro system and hand water them the whole time while in veg (and grow them as big as you want..... without a system) then when they get about a foot and a half I want to put them in my flo and grow system and put them into flowering. I’ve really only had luck starting them right in the system but I want to do a perpetual grow.

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

Could it be that since I’m watering from the top and it’s hitting all the algae and dropping the ph? Like I said my runoff was 6.7 and I’ve been feeding at 5.8??

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Someone with more experience will need to answer that. I know the ph goes up in dwc inbetween your weekly res changes, maybe that rockwool did the same on a smaller scale?

Someone more experienced will be by shortly to help im sure

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Could it be that since I’m watering from the top and it’s hitting all the algae and dropping the ph? Like I said my runoff was 6.7 and I’ve been feeding at 5.8??
It's possible, and algae will also consume nutrients, effectively starving your plants. How often are you fertigating? IME the 4" cubes get waterlogged, heavily, so you have to fertigate often otherwise you lose oxygen concentrations quickly, and while the media is designed to have an extremely high surface area for air, without the flow of solution through it, oxygen will be depleted quickly.

That was one of my biggest complaints when I was running them in a F&D, and will never use them in such a setup again. Those cubes seem to be designed specifically designed for top feed with regular, short intervals so the air and and solution is consistently being replaced and kept stable.

One thing I'm curious about, did you buffer the rockwool before using it? I know this is a contested concept, but I've found some credence in at least a couple hour soak in 4.0 solution before use. Otherwise, like unbuffered coco, it can be a problematic media.

Mine are actually not much different.
This is the runt though. I can’t pick up the rest to look.
Never really have.
This one looks hella sus to me. That brown color is unnatural for rockwool. It looks slimy, like there's a bacterial infection in it, which could explain why it's a runt, and explain some of your other issues which really look like the roots are suffocating (same as overwatering).

Nameless_fcuk89

Nameless_fcuk89

I’ve been adding enzymes for about 3 waterings now and they do seem to be getting better but am I wrong that you can hand water rock wool through all of veg... without any trouble like I’m running into? Or do they need to be transplanted right about now?

Top Bottom