Roots Organics soiless/coco??

• Thread starter Surfr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Is anyone using the roots soiless mix? It's coco cut with a bunch of perlite and other goodies. How are the results? I am wondering if I should run coco specific nutes with it or I can run whatever?? I wanna run iguana juice in it. I'm about to transplant 9 sour diesel clines into the mix so I suppose Ill see what happens!

2DogWalker

I am currently running 6 plants in 5 gal grow bags in the Roots CocoFiber, water once every other day using botaincare CNS 17....I was using the roots buddha grow but struggled getting them dialed in (but I am still learning) and since I have went to CNS 17 things have really improved...

Best of luck bro
2Dog

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

It's good stuff & the clones will love it. You can feed whatever you like. It's got too much perlite IMO, and it'll end up washing up to the surface, but hey, at least that will prevent gnats from taking over.

S

Snow Crash

I've been running it for a while now. I like the stuff.

It has plenty of nitrogen to break down over a good long vegetative cycle. I found that during the first week of flowering I needed to be running a bit more phosphorus and potassium in my system than Canna coco was offering. Adding more Cal-Mag Plus to that, and nitric acid pH down, plus the Roots Organics was just too much overall nitrogen earlier on. This delayed flower onset and of all the things I know to improve upon for next time it is to drop my nitrogen ppm's earlier in flowering. It will get the extra that it needs from the media.

With this media I will only feed at full strength every other time. I alternate with 1/2 strength, balanced (1-1-1 1%Ca 0.5%Mg), solution with good runoff to ensure the nutrient buffer is not washed out but all the extra salts do.

Working with the EC I found my strains worked best on a veg solution starting around 0.8ec and working up to 1.2 ec. You could probably push them up to 1.5 without too much issue. During flowering earlier on I start lower, around 1.0 and gradually work up by about 0.2 every week until hitting around 1.8ec, then to hang out around there for a while.

Keep the Mg levels high when you have a higher EC. I add about 0.05ec of Epsom Salt every feeding for that extra few ppm of Mg. Also, decrease the Calcium progressively the further you get into flowering. I found that the plants really just needed a good amount of PK because they were pulling in so much N from the mix.

A nutrient I used later on that worked VERY well for me, at a reasonable price, is CNS 17 Ripe. At 1-5-4 it gave me the right ratio given the properties of the media.

Good luck.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

i ran a few pots filled with it against coco/perlite in my last run. i had tons of problems early in veg with those plants but they eventually came around and finished about the same as the coco ones. i think the ants liked it more than my plants. something about the texture and the charge just makes a perfect ant farm. in the end i decided it was just extra trouble and extra money for zero increase in quality or yield. i don't remember if it has dolomite or not. if it doesn't, run hydro nutes with 5 mls calmag. coco specific nutes just provide extra calmag that you can't cut out in peak flower. no point maxing out on something your plant will taste better without.

right now i'm running 7 parts coco, 2 parts perlite, 1 part vermiblend(amendment) tryin dutchmaster gold range and add.27 and i've practically got 3 weeks growth in 2. just flipped over to flower and my plants are so pristine they look fake.

justsomeguy

justsomeguy

as for roots organics nutes, i did get some great flavor from their liquid guanos, pk2 and hpk. my outdoor stunk up the neighborhood last year. but they are pricey and you use a lot. but i think its worth it because it makes my outdoor way more marketable and i don't have to slash the price to move it.
good luck with the sour d. tried it several times and only got one plant right. the only one that came out was from a bagseed that we forgot we planted and only got watered by sprinklers and got no nutes until peak flower. we thought it was one of the land ladies plants so we left it alone until the smell developed and i quickly remembered where it came from. based on my limited luck with that strain, i'd say feed em light. i'm running some ogiesel and headband (both diesel/og crosses) and they get at least 200 ppm less than my diablos and larrys. the diesel crosses flourished for three weeks on a week one level feeding of house and garden.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I've been using Roots Organics coir for a little over a year now. I followed the instructions on it, feeding phed water, 1/4 strength, 1/2 strength, then full strength. Personally I LOVE the mix of coco to perlite. You definitely want to add cal/mag to things.

I'm in the process of setting up for my next run, and I am going to be giving canna coco a shot this time, with a LOT of chunky perlite. Where Roots Organics coir is a 60% coco to 40% perlite mix, I will be doing the opposite.

O

organicfreak

make your own from a bale here a link with a free coco buffer and step by step on how to properly prep coco

Latest posts

Top Bottom