Roots Original - Insect Concerns

• Thread starter chronicminD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

chronicminD

Roots Organic (Original blend) is an excellent product indeed.
It gives your plants everything they need (and I mean everything) during vegetative stages. Combine that with the exceptional aeration in the mix itself and you have a top shelf, dummy proof "soil" to veg and flower with.

What isn't so awesome about the accepted super mix are the tiny critters that come along with the soil on some occasions. Gnats, aphids, and spider mites among other things CAN come with this soil. Yes I said spider mites.
And several species of spider mites at that. I have personly had gnats on more than one occasion and red spider mites (yes, all the way from california, I am in Michigan.)

Again I am not knocking roots.
But I would like to know if anyone has used anything to supliment into the mix to neutralize the issue with roots.

Disclaimer: You will also need to use Silicon with your waterings to ensure proper boron levels for silicic acid production.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Pour boiling water on it and let it cool b4 using, pillow case helps.

jlr42024

jlr42024

It took me a while to admit it but roots is definitely full of mites and gnats! Definitely contaminated with red mites I've never seen them till i switched to roots.

cannabeans

cannabeans

My best weapon against the critters that came with roots organic soil was "OGBIOWAR" found right here at the farm. I used the foliar spray as a soil drench... and I would also add the "foliar powder" and premix into my soil before I planted into it! I would also continue to soil drench with azamax and pyrethrins... Between all those usually kept all bugs at bay!

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Surely there's other soil mixes out there that don't give you these issues. I mean isn't life too short to be pouring boiling water thru soil. My soil mix I buy has 0 issues. It's why I buy the brand I do.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Pet store coco husk for reptile bedding is full of beneficial insects, soil recyclers and predators. Add some for a top dressing, its working for me, the one plant I have it on is really thriving.

sixstring

sixstring

Pet store coco husk for reptile bedding is full of beneficial insects, soil recyclers and predators. Add some for a top dressing, its working for me, the one plant I have it on is really thriving.
Interesting do you know what kind of bugs they are using?

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I know that there are some type of predatory mites because they run about wildly flailing their front appendages and never bother the plant, mostly doing laps around the flower pot. Not sure if they are hyponaspis miles or not but they are definitely predatory.

Top Bottom