Roots, roots, roots

• Thread starter amstercal
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

amstercal

Since it seems like the more we talk about roots, the more questions I have, I thought I'd post them up.

You can get brownish roots from both a buildup of regular nutes or just having beneficials like Roots Excel, right?

If they are brownish but without slime and only smell earthy, obviously seeing them would matter, but any tips to tell between staining and a problem?

What if part of a single root strand is brownish but ends in a brilliant white when it leaves the medium (rw in a particular case I'm talking about)?
Is there a particular end that death means death? Meaning does it matter if it's brown on the tip but white toward the stem or the opposite (brown toward the stem but white on the tip)?

How rough are people with their roots? Eg, if they're encased in hydroton or grodan cubes or something that shifts easily like that, would you go digging in them to check them if the plant was showing some issues?

Seems like whenever a plant has root problems, the leaves become thin and soft, not waxy, matte not brittle. Is this your experience too?

Once your plant is showing symptoms of a root problem, how often do you cull? A couple of leaves bad a little droopy? A lot of leaves bad and a little droopier? Let's say we're still in veg but have a couple of weeks invested in them or even early flower in a recirculating system without the possibility of replacing them easily... I know the people who have full-on clone operations would probably just cull, but it seems like a lot of people here still use dispensaries, so I'd like to here everyone's input for that.

If you're running beneficials, but have some problem and opt for hydrofungicide or H2O2 or something like that, would you ever recommend someone goes back to trying to run beneficials after a res change and sufficient time for the H2O2 to burn itself out (Does hydrofungicide deplete itself too?)--it's pretty much a dead res required from there on out, right?

A

amstercal

bump? if i got too crazy with so many questions, it'd be great to hear thoughts on any part.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Jesus whats up farmers 68 views and knowbody can comment????

are your roots covered or are they exposed to light and air???

you dont want brown roots period>>white and white as can be:) them roots tips are dead if they are brown. Probably due to being exposed to air and light.
the roots need something to grow into constantly

example>>with my 2x2 cubes they get transplanted into 6x6 hugos<<
as soon as i see roots threw the 2x2's they go directly into the hugos>>>no brown tips<<<
The hugos sit on top of a coco mat for the roots to grow into.>>no brown tips<<
Growth slows and becomes stunted when that happens amstercal.. so dont do that>>follow??

Also do not disturb the root system if possible..Especially in the 2x2 cloning cubes they are still very delicate and sensitive.

For me when my roots get established and anchored into the coco mat from the 6x6 hugo's I dont touch the plant and there roots>>it would really fuck things up.

White roots:boogie:

hope that helps a bit

:passingjoint:

gtd

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Danny, I've seen your grows- I completely respect your opinion; I've been running smart pots, and those obviously "air-prune" the roots. What do you think of that idea? my plants do seem to love them, but I've almost always had better results when my roots could strrrrretch and not be contained OR "pruned" in any way.

What's your take on getting rid of pythium/root rot issues? post a link if you've answered this question a hundred times. I looked before I asked.... :)

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Danny, I've seen your grows- I completely respect your opinion; I've been running smart pots, and those obviously "air-prune" the roots. What do you think of that idea? my plants do seem to love them, but I've almost always had better results when my roots could strrrrretch and not be contained OR "pruned" in any way.

What's your take on getting rid of pythium/root rot issues? post a link if you've answered this question a hundred times. I looked before I asked.... :)

I have a friend using smart pots<<>>So far so good:) I noticed a white salty film along the outside edge>>To avoid that he needs to use water every few watering's, im thinkin:)

are u getting pythium using air pots or something?
how hot it it in there>>Your nutrient temps should be between 68-73. At 78 you will get pythium:)

gtd

Top Bottom