Roots, tips and tricks to start

• Thread starter Badchoice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badchoice

Badchoice

So for all the Hydroponic growers out their, what are your tips and tricks for week one “seedling” and help get roots past the mediums past the net cup and drinking its go go juice.
i think a good in-depth on this topic to help new users and others to help get past the first fight; getting roots to the nutes would and could be a fun topic maybe and always interesting to see what others do and don’t do.

Badchoice

Badchoice

I’ll start with mine and hopefully some other will chime in;
I run DWC in a 5 gallon with a drain spout on bottom, so when I start my week one nutes under the “seedling “ on feed charts. I will take a 50ml beaker off the drain and pour around the rapid rooter medium to help keep wet and the clay pellets wet to help the root push down

ThisGuy420

ThisGuy420

So for all the Hydroponic growers out their, what are your tips and tricks for week one “seedling” and help get roots past the mediums past the net cup and drinking its go go juice.
i think a good in-depth on this topic to help new users and others to help get past the first fight; getting roots to the nutes would and could be a fun topic maybe and always interesting to see what others do and don’t do.
From the videos I have watched... this is literally my first grow, so its not really a tip, more of, "this is how I did it."
Once the roots came thru the rockwool, I place it in the net pot with ~1 inch of clay pebbles half way submerged in water. Sit the rockwool on top of that layer of clay pebbles. This kept the rockwool moist until the roots come out of the net pot before gradually lowering the water level to 2-3in from the net pots. I didn't top feed, but I would have if I knew I was suppose to.

Badchoice

Badchoice

From the videos I have watched... this is literally my first grow, so its not really a tip, more of, "this is how I did it."
Once the roots came thru the rockwool, I place it in the net pot with ~1 inch of clay pebbles half way submerged in water. Sit the rockwool on top of that layer of clay pebbles. This kept the rockwool moist until the roots come out of the net pot before gradually lowering the water level to 2-3in from the net pots. I didn't top feed, but I would have if I knew I was suppose to.
Good tips, I’ve never used Rockwool my self I’ve heard too many bad things about it in hydroponics.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I always back off the watering's and run them a little on the dry side first 2 watering's to promote the "searching" per say. Rockwool and coco both. Longer in wool.

RR1

RR1

Really? What are the bad things with using rockwool in hydro?
Forget so many of the things you hear. Rockwools been around a long time. It was invented for use by indoor professionals, and adapted for cannabis. I love it. The only drawback is getting rid of it. Now I just run it through the shredder in the compost.
RR1

Badchoice

Badchoice

Really? What are the bad things with using rockwool in hydro?
I’ve just heard about it’s moister problems and holding certain minerals and etc from the fertilizers and causing root issues and insect/mold issues I’m not saying it’s bad or anything just I’ve never used it my self from what I heard, my faith lies in rapid rooters atm.

ems3w5

ems3w5

I’ve been back and forth with soil and dwc. And I always and probably will forever use rockwool from seed till harvest. Put seed in rockwool, and once roots show, place in soil or pebble rocks in your dwc. As far as water depth. I fill my bucket with water till it’s about 1”- 2” from bottom of net pot so the bubbles from air stone keep the rocks most and the roots will reach for the wet moist rocks. And just Lower the water weekly to keep those roots reaching and growing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom