Roots

• Thread starter OftheEarth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OftheEarth

OftheEarth

So had 4 plants in one container, given that way, and just transplanted them. Had a got root ball n the end. Put some great white in direct contact with the roots...now for the best and fastest way for them to re root, is light or darkness better?

Thanks

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

They are a few weeks in veg, so just leave light off for 6 ? Usually run the light24 during veg. ....so go to 18/6 fora bit?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know that going with a dark phase would speed up rooting, my experience shows that the dimmer the light, the better. So... something like a 40W equivalent CFL, that level of light, at the blue end (daylight, say 4,200K-6,500K).

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Get rid of the 400MH and got back to a T5? There only 5 in a great envrionment ... The t5 should be enough lumens for 5 right? Keep that going a week than back to the 400MH? Or longer...?

And should just use RO water with rootsX and great white ? Or just go plain diatelled water for a few feeds??

Thanks first time with this scenario... Usually a seed starts the life cycle..... Thanks!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
In my opinion a T5 is too much light, and a 400W MH is WAAAAYYYY too much light. You can alternate plain water with using the GW or RootsX. Remember, if your goal is to get them to grow roots, you don't want to 'encourage' them to spend energy photosynthesizing.

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

K def go back to the t5 and just hang it super high.... The 400 is super high, but like you said wayyyyy too much light for roots....promoting photosynthesis w no roots no good so thank you!

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

And that's a good idea to switch from reg to rootsX and great white.

Great white was also applied directly in the soil to be in contact with the roots. Was that a bad idea?

Trying to keep these girls alive!!!! They seem to be rooting but don't wanna pull too hard on them and pull it out and it be gone.....

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Took the 490 down and put the t5 up, way up from the plants. Little concerned about elongation between nodes but roots are most important and gotta get them rooted good

Thanks for advice on the light and being sure they on 18/6 so they get darkness to root.

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Think they are rooting. Gave a little tug and nothing. This could be the soil holding them down, however with any root at all there would be some resistance, no roots, no resistance... So thnk it's gonna cool. The t5 is hung super high and going to apply some magic green to keep the vitality and nutes in the pants withought having to feed them as normal.

Tanks for all the help
Cheers

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sorry for not responding, I didn't get my alerts, just found it searching through my 'watched threads' tree. How are they doing today?

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Doing much much better thanks! Got them under a T5 still , that is super high above the plants. Running it at 18/6. When the roots re establish and growth is noticeable, switch to the MH. The t5 is all they need for now anyhow. Lowered the ph. And have been feeding less water, more often. That may be helping get the mobile nutes moving better. The cal is also helping There is no more red. There are so leaves that are twisted ands curled up..... What do you think that could be from? They are lower leaves so not too concerned although it be great to know what it's from.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's difficult to say, but right now if they're doing well, I think letting them continue is the best course of action.

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

You don't think giving them more lumens with a 400w MH would help for a bigger yeild? Or just veg with the T5?

Thanks!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If I've learned ANYTHING in life, it's this--if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Get your shit dialed in, then worry about stuff like yield. Pay attention to health first and the rest shall follow.

And finally, a hungry fish is a healthy fish.

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

Right on I hear dat. So veg w just the T5?? It'll save on the electricity... But always strive for the best .... Thinking MH in a week or so will be good. It ain't broken but can make better!!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There are those who will say that you should be using the MH. I am a cheap woman and I haven't had the heart to hit my husband with a massive power bill trying to grow a plant that grows best in full, direct sunlight. I personally think that even shop lights are fine, and in fact those are what I use for vegging, I simply mix the bulbs as best I can and acclimate when putting under HID or sunlight.

So, for *me* the question is this--sure, maybe it can be better, but how much better? Is it worth it? I am always thinking in terms of return on investment. In other words, my mantra is different from that of many growers who insist on "nothing but the best for my girls!" My thinking is more along the lines of "will this accomplish the goal?"

That means that if, for you using MH is doing it better, then go for it. But not while you're trying to get plants rooted. :)

OftheEarth

OftheEarth

They are rooted and totally get what your saying..it's a hobby..... No ROI or anything as nothing gets sold. So it's saving in the end anyhow. Thanks for the words of wisdon. Appreciate it mucho gracias!!!!

Kushwick

Kushwick

There are those who will say that you should be using the MH. I am a cheap woman and I haven't had the heart to hit my husband with a massive power bill trying to grow a plant that grows best in full, direct sunlight. I personally think that even shop lights are fine, and in fact those are what I use for vegging, I simply mix the bulbs as best I can and acclimate when putting under HID or sunlight.

So, for *me* the question is this--sure, maybe it can be better, but how much better? Is it worth it? I am always thinking in terms of return on investment. In other words, my mantra is different from that of many growers who insist on "nothing but the best for my girls!" My thinking is more along the lines of "will this accomplish the goal?"

That means that if, for you using MH is doing it better, then go for it. But not while you're trying to get plants rooted. :)
I've been growing for about 8 years now and I enjoy reading some of your post.. always give. Me some new ideas and how to get things to work.. I just need some organic coco tips lol.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks, I'll work on those when I get into doing indoors again. :) First one I've gotta try is cutting that coir with good peat moss, as well as Pro-Mix (coir+peat).

Sometimes, I feel like Lucille Ball when I call out to Dave, "Honey! I have an idea...!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom