Rosin...am i being cheated??

• Thread starter headcase2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

headcase2

I am just starting into dabs. Made a friend who offered to press my kief brick for me, in exchange for some of my leftover buds. I gave him a 14g brick. He brought me back 2.5g (if I'm being generous) of very dark brown rosin that leaves a lot of waste in my banger and doesn't seem very potent or taste very good. I read that I should expect kief to yield 30-40% and I got 18% back maximum. He had excuses about my kief not being that good and dark rosin not necessarily meaning lower quality. Did he rip me off? Idk very much about this I previously preferred just smoking flower and kief. Any help is appreciated!

2Bad

2Bad

Sounds like he might of ripped you off but hard to tell. The only way for you to know is being able to tell by taste or smell. Maybe he just hasn't much experience.

Moshmen

Moshmen

It’s an art - easy to screw up imo. It’s prolly pressed incorrectly idk though

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Dark rosin usually means it's loaded with waxy plant oils and or pressed too warm.
If you pressed some of the kief Frenchy Cannolli style before he made rosin it would give you some hint as to color and if it was full melt. Something is off but hard to say he ripped you off. Could just be a bad pressing which is ez if you're set for one type of material and don't adjust for a different type.
However, I wouldn't let him do it again unless he let me sit there and watch

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

I am just starting into dabs. Made a friend who offered to press my kief brick for me, in exchange for some of my leftover buds. I gave him a 14g brick. He brought me back 2.5g (if I'm being generous) of very dark brown rosin that leaves a lot of waste in my banger and doesn't seem very potent or taste very good. I read that I should expect kief to yield 30-40% and I got 18% back maximum. He had excuses about my kief not being that good and dark rosin not necessarily meaning lower quality. Did he rip me off? Idk very much about this I previously preferred just smoking flower and kief. Any help is appreciated!

How clean was the keif?

In my experience pressing keif, which isnt much, but if its at all contaminated by plant material, it comes out that dark brown color, leaves a lot of residue in the banger, and tastes like shit. I think it also depends on the speed at which it was pressed at.

H

headcase2

Dark rosin usually means it's loaded with waxy plant oils and or pressed too warm.
If you pressed some of the kief Frenchy Cannolli style before he made rosin it would give you some hint as to color and if it was full melt. Something is off but hard to say he ripped you off. Could just be a bad pressing which is ez if you're set for one type of material and don't adjust for a different type.
However, I wouldn't let him do it again unless he let me sit there and watch
Thanks for the reply. What about the yield? Doesn't 18% seem low? Out of 14g I got back 2.5g. I was expecting 4-5g.

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
Thanks for the reply. What about the yield? Doesn't 18% seem low? Out of 14g I got back 2.5g. I was expecting 4-5g.
It would depend on size of micron bags he used, humidity of the kief, and how long it was under pressure. You'd need to see the chip after and see if there's a lot still left in the bag or what exactly happened. There's like 4-5 factors to yield so without an autopsy of the bag and examining the kief before pressing and then the rosin it's just guesswork on my end.

Moshmen

Moshmen

How clean was the keif?

In my experience pressing keif, which isnt much, but if its at all contaminated by plant material, it comes out that dark brown color, leaves a lot of residue in the banger, and tastes like shit. I think it also depends on the speed at which it was pressed at.
And temp and pressure almost gotta use a bag - not worth it in my opinion

Moshmen

Moshmen

It would depend on size of micron bags he used, humidity of the kief, and how long it was under pressure. You'd need to see the chip after and see if there's a lot still left in the bag or what exactly happened. There's like 4-5 factors to yield so without an autopsy of the bag and examining the kief before pressing and then the rosin it's just guesswork on my end.
Yep this ^ art form every press is different

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

And temp and pressure almost gotta use a bag - not worth it in my opinion
I pressed like 60 grams of keef my father in law made with dry ice and a 220 bubble bag.... tried to tell him it needed to be 120 or less but some people know it all man lol. I pressed it all through double 37 micron bags and it was the nastiest shit ive smoked aside from BHO

Moshmen

Moshmen

I pressed like 60 grams of keef my father in law made with dry ice and a 220 bubble bag.... tried to tell him it needed to be 120 or less but some people know it all man lol. I pressed it all through double 37 micron bags and it was the nastiest shit ive smoked aside from BHO
Cold and slow with whole bud no prepress or bag gives the best product but that’s only a few dabs at time ! Lol not enuff

Latest posts

Top Bottom