Rosin: To grind, or not to grind?

• Thread starter DreamwalkerJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

So ive made a few upgrades recently. A better rosin press and a new 4x8 tent to fill with more plants. Im going to use the wole tent to grow specifically for making lrosin. So to my question: to grind or not to grind? Anyone that has both ground up their flower before filling a bag AND filled a bag with whole nugs.

Im trying to find out if its better to grind everything up and put it in a 90 micron bag to press OR if its better to fill the bags with small, whole buds?

Also, im planning on using dry ice in some bubble bags with freshly harvested and frozen buds and pressing the dry sift for some tasty live rosin. Im planning on pressing in 90 micron bags at 180°F for 90 seconds
Does this sound right to you guys? I'm plenty experienced with rosin but this is my first LIVE rosin attempt and i dont want to......how you say..... fuck it up.
Thanks in advance everybody and as always, Happy Growong.
DwJ

thepressclub.co

thepressclub.co

Supporter
We know this is a super old post but we wanted to jump in here and tell you, don't grind up your start material before pressing. You'll disturb your trichomes too much through the grinder. Simply break your buds up to smaller pieces and use it - tetris style - to pack your bag. Use a pre-press mold, it helps you press more and increase yields! Happy Pressing fam!

Habosabin

Habosabin

I'm new to pressing. No matter how I press it ends up being paper thin. When I use a bag it usually ruptures the bag because it flattens out so much. Is this normal. My yeilds are nothing like I see on YouTube. I'm assuming that's strain related. I get about 12%from both my strains. I have used my prepress cylinder as well.

Ponky

Ponky

I'm new to pressing. No matter how I press it ends up being paper thin. When I use a bag it usually ruptures the bag because it flattens out so much. Is this normal. My yeilds are nothing like I see on YouTube. I'm assuming that's strain related. I get about 12%from both my strains. I have used my prepress cylinder as well.
There is a bag maker on this site that replaces blow outs. You just prove it failed. Can't off the top of my head remember the name.

thepressclub.co

thepressclub.co

Supporter
You might be applying too much pressure. There's a diminishing return when it comes to pressure so applying more isn't necessarily better (a lot of people think more is better)!

Are you growing the flower you're pressing yourself? If so, make sure you properly cure and store your flower at 62% to 65% RH before pressing. Anything below this range will significantly impact your final yield. Keep in mind, some cannabis strains simply don't press well and won't return anything more than 10%. It's the nature of this hobby so it's important to find the correct ones for the correct job! Pictures always help so if you have any, it'll really help troubleshoot too!

And for your reference, we actually wrote an article called Best Strains for Pressing Rosin. While it's not an exhaustive list, it gives you an idea what to look for in a strain you want to press for the best results!

Happy Pressing Fam! ❤️

thepressclub.co

thepressclub.co

Supporter
There is a bag maker on this site that replaces blow outs. You just prove it failed. Can't off the top of my head remember the name.
There's a lot of filter bag makers out there but keep in mind, not all of them created equal. Cheap filter bags made in China on Amazon or any retail outlet are not real rosin bags - they're tea bags being sold as rosin bags. These filter bags have not been approved or properly heat-rated for rosin pressing which is why they'll blowout or melt.

The rosin bags we sell at The Press Club are made specifically and only for rosin pressing. We spent years developing our rosin bags from the ground up and sew all our rosin bags in-house in the United States with our patented pink stitch which increases durability and strength by 5x. This is how we're able to offer a Zero Blowout Guarantee on every bag we sell because we're so confident in the performance of our bags.

I

iamdan431

Hope you're well, Fam! I would consider looking to YouTube for some instruction on how to BottleTech your bags. Using this method ensures you have equal distribution of pressure throughout the process and re-enforces the bottom of the bag against blowouts.

Hope this finds you well!
DA

Top Bottom