Rough Start

• Thread starter badger999
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
badger999

badger999

My first grow at 3000 feet in the AZ desert. First lesson, know your extended weather forecast, prepare for strong winds,and there's no need to get them in the ground before may 1'st, got it.
Another thing, is anybody having trouble with their plants setting up [ flowering ] when you take them out side, some of them putting out some buds. I must have messed up with my light times, anyways about half of them are flowering. All i could find on that was, hit them with nitrogen, and they should snap out of it. should i be cutting the flowering bud off ? should i replace it if i have a replacement? This is going to to be fun,and i have a lot to learn. Any advice, experience, knowledge shared will be appreciated

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

My first grow at 3000 feet in the AZ desert. First lesson, know your extended weather forecast, prepare for strong winds,and there's no need to get them in the ground before may 1'st, got it.
Another thing, is anybody having trouble with their plants setting up [ flowering ] when you take them out side, some of them putting out some buds. I must have messed up with my light times, anyways about half of them are flowering. All i could find on that was, hit them with nitrogen, and they should snap out of it. should i be cutting the flowering bud off ? should i replace it if i have a replacement? This is going to to be fun,and i have a lot to learn. Any advice, experience, knowledge shared will be appreciated
Im not an outdoor grower but it sounds like youv put your plants out too early and coz the nights are still a bit longer theyv started to bloom.loads of growers actually make use of this period to do light dep grows in a green house and wen the days start to get longer they cover the greenhouse at a certain time of night-wen depends on wen it gets light in the morning- and remove the cover wen dark.
is your grow in your garden or near an electrical source?if u could run a couple of extentions out(provided its dry but your in the desert) you could use a few incandescent lamps too keep em vegging.if your not near an electrical source then i dunno wat u could do.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It sounds like you put out clones, which are already sexually mature plants. Cannabis is photoperiodic, which means it flowers according to dark hours.

If you reduce the daylight portion of the photoperiod by as little as one hour, they'll flip into flower IME. Interrupt the dark phase to keep them from doing that in the future. Right now, you've just set yourself a roughly 6 week clock to get them back into regular vegging growth so they can then go on to flower. It won't be right, the buds won't be quite right, and you're going to have a lot of trimming to do. It's a learning curve.

Right now, set out some lighting, doesn't have to be terribly bright, a CFL or two will do just fine, and interrupt the dark phase for 2hrs OR extend the daylight morning or evening, anytime you like. The goal is to convince them that now is not the time to flower. Over these next couple of weeks you're probably going to see them growing triple-lobed leaves, then singles, then back to triples, then finally normal growth. Each phase described takes approximately two weeks to get through.

Of course, if you can do as Mr Bee suggests and cover them so they get 12hrs minimum dark, then uncover during the day so they can grow, you'll get an earlier harvest, if reduced.

N

Nog

If they are Indica's they will keep flowering and you will get a crop of buds.

Then you can plant out again for the rest of the season.

I used to to an outdoor spring grow most years, got a good crop of buds doing that too.
If you are going to do that you want to be able to veg them indoors till they are as big as possible, the fact that you have to smuggle them outdoors without being seen in practice usually limits how big you veg them indoors, but about a foot and a half high is ok.

I did that one year with Skunk from Dutch Passion, and they mainly had one centre cola and some small side branches which I didn't bother harvesting, just cut off the centre cola.

And then the small side branches went into veg by the last week of spring, so I didnt' have to plant out again for the main summer grow.

So I got two harvest off those plants.

Some of them, not many, went into re-veg before harvest.
Anything that wasn't ready for harvest by the start of the last month of spring was too late, and re-vegged.

But I got most of them, got a nice yeild of stinky sticky buds.

A tip is when you plant them out for a spring harvest don't give them high nitrogen fertilizer in the hope you will get them to veg big before they flower. I did this and it kept them in semi-veg, and I didn't get a harvest.

For a spring harvest you want them to flower straight away.

N

Nog

Different strains will flower at different photoperiods.

The more Indica the later you have to plant out.

Hybrids like Skunk you can plant out middle of spring or later, but last year I put out Afghani #1 from Sensi out about a week after the middle of spring and they flowered, whereas the C-Plus I put out didn't.

Both were clones by the way, but I find a seedling plant will do the same if it's old enough.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

great information, thanks
Listen to mendo giants advice.if you had ever seen his outdoor runs youd see he knows his shit.im sure someone says one of mendo giants outdoor gardens was featured in one o jorge cervantes videos on huge plants.

badger999

badger999

OK, here is an update on that rough start. these pics were taken oct 31st as i was bringing them down. I have a question though,did i wait to long to pull them. my partner and I can not agree. I feel you should start bringing them down when the tricombs are milky. My partners philosophy is you wait until it spits out resin all over itself. First, is it true that the fruit is not truly ripened until this happens, and does this really happen? Now most of these plants started to flower shortly after i put them outside. I asked some questions , and tried some different things on them. Such as, hit them hard with nitrogen, like twice. Cut hem back, and remove the knotted up areas. Don't get carried away or there wont be anything left and you will have to pull it. Or you can just keep on feeding them and not make a single cut on a plant. I tried a little bit of each on different plants, No matter what you are going to lose approx. 6 weeks of very important veg growth, and end up with runts, Nice runts, but runts, biggest one only put out just over a lb, smallest was about 7 oz. Bottom line is MendoGiantz nailed it, Start over, Final Answer. The stash is really good, the Quazy Twain came out big and purple, GSC pretty nice, one good Blue Dream, and one Agent Orange. If you can keep the soil moist and the roots cool, they can do 110 degrees days . I had one big Palo Verde tree in the patch which provided dapple sunlite to a few of them, and it seemed to me that the ones without the relief did better. I actually buried a few of the smart pats at different depths, then put some above ground. I even put a couple up on pallets. In my opinion the above ground pots in the direct sunlight did the best, especially after I put the chicken wire and straw insulation blankets on them. Tried using mulch as topper to keep soil moist and cool, but straw works best but it brings some weeds. All in all I will call this a successful first run at 3000 feet in the AZ desert. First harvest is THE SHIT, I'm so stoked. Life Is Good
KIMG0549 COLLAGE

Top Bottom