Roundtable Reviews New Cannabis Regs

• Thread starter Blazing Oaks
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Blazing Oaks

Original article from the Willits news, by Kate Maxwell:

More than 200 people packed the Willits Community Center on November 5 for an educational event hosted by the Small Farmers Association, which focused on “Laws, Regulations, and Legalization,” and the range of different requirements for cannabis farmers and businesses’ hoping to come into compliance with several new regulations and permits approved this year.

Organized as a roundtable with eight different experts and informational tables for attendees to peruse, the event drew attendees from more than five different counties and covered both legal regulations and aspects of business management important for those trying to make the transition to the state’s newly regulated commercial medical cannabis industry. Such regulations include compliance with local laws, regional requirements such as the newly implemented north coast waterboard permit program, and state licensing requirements for cannabis farmers and businesses, a major shift for what has been a largely unregulated industry forbidding commercial cultivation under previous medical marijuana regulation Proposition 215 and 420.

“Things are really changing,” exclaimed one SFA volunteer to the crowd during the event, who received a certificate of appreciation and won one of several raffles with farming supplies and other goods supplied by local business sponsors. “Instead of getting arrested or harassed by the police,” she said, “I’m getting an award!”

LOCAL AND STATE LAWS

SFA’s Julia Carrera led the discussion on state and local regulations that cannabis cultivators and business owners need to be aware of. The Medical Marijuana Regulation and Safety Act signed by the governor in early October regulates commercial medical cannabis transations for the first time, and creates a dual-licensing requirement that all local and state laws must be followed to be considered in compliance, which goes into effect January 1, 2016, although licenses may not be available until January 1, 2018.

There are variety of different types of licenses that will be available including different sizes and types of cultivation licenses, of which only the largest size (yet to be determined) will be capped by number of licensees. However, utilizing the model based on the alcohol industry, limits are placed on combinations of licenses individuals may hold to prevent vertical integration in the industry, and cultivators must work with a limited number of distributors who will ensure standards for testing and other requirements are met before retail sales occur.

Many of the new standards and regulations will be established by the newly created Bureau of Medical Marijuana Regulation, and cultivators will be regulated under the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Regulators have said such specifics will be part of a public and stakeholder process and encouraged those in the industry to stay in touch with local and state agencies and representatives over the next two years to help shape policy and regulations.

In a handout entitled: “I’m a small farmer that wants to survive this transition: WHAT DO I DO?,” the SFA recommended small marijuana farmers begin with ensuring they are compliant with local regulations, which include city ordinances, county regulations, and regional requirements, and extensively document their current best practices. New regulations state those who can demonstrate that they have been in compliance by the first of the year will be given priority processing in the new application process. Farmers will also need to participate in a “seed-to-sale” tracking system yet to be established, although SFA encourages farmers to explore their options early, and businesses need certificates of sales or to declare income or pay taxes depending on Board of Equalization requirements currently in place today, though further specifics may be implemented.

The SFA and other local advocacy and farmers groups are encouraging locals to contact county representatives, as local laws will largely determine what is licensed locally. Currently, several cities in the county have specific ordinances concerning cultivation and business requirements, and Mendocino County still has the 9.31 “zip-tie” ordinance, with a 25 plant count. The 9.31 ordinance is being reexamined by the Ad Hoc Committee on Marijuana consisting of Supervisors Tom Woodhouse and John McCowan. The committee is expected to report back on changes to the ordinance in light of new state regulations by the end of this year. Humboldt County is currently considering a new cannabis ordinance and implementing a “Medical Marijuana Innovation Zone” in Arcata.

Counties currently have until March, 2016 to either adopt county policies or defer to state guidelines, although this deadline may be extended with “clean-up” legislation proposed by north coast Assemblyman Jim Wood. Wood is also proposing bills to enact excise taxes on medical marijuana to increase environmental and other regulatory funding (AB 1548), and to create a state banking system for cannabis businesses with California Board of Equalization member Fiona Ma (AB 1549).

In a recent forum held by the BOE, Assemblyman Mike Gipson explained he is proposing additional legislation which would give a tax amnesty for cannabis businesses to pay back taxes and and one which would remove the current 10 percent penalty on state fees such as property taxes paid in cash instead electronic transfers. Since federal drug scheduling has prevented banking in the industry, regulations to create a safer economic environment for what has been a largely cash market are a key part of the new commercial laws.

Representatives from Mendocino County’s Farm Bureau were at the event answering questions concerning the county’s “Right to Farm Ordinance,” which will now include cannabis cultivation as it has been reclassifed as agriculture under new state laws. Devon Jones and Frost Pauli encouraged local cultivators to be in touch with the county and state agriculture commissioner to help establish standards and categories to evaluate best practices and compliance as cannabis cultivation transitions to an agricultural framework.

One of the most popular tables was staffed by Kason Grady of the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board, which approved a cannabis cultivation permit this August. The NCRWQCB is currently accepting applications for enrollment in the tiered program and conducting inspections, and cultivators are expected to enroll by February 15, 2016. The program establishes best practices and requirements for cannabis cultivators in three tiers to protect water quality and is similar to a one being implemented in the central district.

The NCRWQCB is also in the process of certifying third party inspectors to enroll cultivators in the program and assist with evaluation, reporting requirements, and identify necessary improvements to parcels, which once approved will be posted on the agencies website and allow cultivators working with third parties to apply with reduced fees. All forms and requirements are currently available on the agency’s website where one can sign up for updates to the program. Cultivators will also be required to comply with other state water permits and rights requirements.

INITIATIVES

Representatives from two different initiatives being proposed for the 2016 ballot were also at the event, a small portion of the 20 initiatives currently filed with the state. Initiatives will have to collect enough signatures prior to being placed before voters next November, and range from those fully legalizing adult recreational use of marijuana to those focused on other aspects of the industry. However, the majority of them propose different regulatory structures than the recently passed MMRSA laws and some may overturn aspects of the commercial medical requirements currently being implemented.

At the forum, Lanette Davies presented the Compassionate and Sensible Access Act and the proposed “Patients Bill of Rights,” a constitutional initiative which would protect patients’ rights to medical cannabis in the state constitution. “We’re making it a human right in the state,” said Davies, explaining the initiative hoped to address concerns that access to medical marijuana would be impacted under recreational legalization initiatives. Davies said as a constitutional initiative the group would need to collect over 500,000 signatures, a higher amount than regulatory ones, and was implementing a campaign to help voters sign by mail and electronically, with more information available at sensibleaccess.org.

Another initiative represented was the California Cannabis Hemp Act, and representatives had traveled from Simi Valley to help educate local voters about their proposal, which would legalize marijuana and the production of hemp products across the state, as well as change regulations concerning patients’ access, caregiver and drug testing requirements, and “bars state or local aid to enforcement of federal marijuana laws.”

BEST BUSINESS PRACTICES

Local business and groups advocating for best practices were also represented at the forum to help residents get a taste of the world of commercial cannabis to come. Information about biodynamic cultivation and certification was available, as well as a discussion of business branding led by SFA member PolyKulture Farms. Loud Cannabis, an app designed by SFA members to help farmers market their products, as well as the Mendocino Group, a cannabis branding business also were on hand to advise and answer questions. Earthworm Soil Factory and AG420, two farmers’ supply companies, also had tables at the event.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Our county is a Right to Farm county but I don't see our BOS embracing hemp, let alone cannabis

B

Blazing Oaks

That is unfortunate, they will miss out on quite a bit of tax revenue and potential economic growth then.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Even after the people voted down pro 19 the State shoves the Tax , Regulate and Control idea down our throats! I say Revolt! Refuse to play the game, Vote for a free amendment CCHI2016.org ! No reason now to even have any of the other amendments!

B

Blazing Oaks

Like it or not legalization and legitimization of medical cannabis will never occur without taxation and regulation. I don't really like the idea of having to pay a bunch of taxes and jumping through a bunch of bureaucratic hoops either, but if it means not tossing people in jail for growing a plant, and that the industry can finally move forward, many see it as worth while trade off. The thought that growers would be able to grow whatever we want, anywhere we want, without paying any taxes, or having to follow any regulations, is pure fantasy - it will never happen. Not even tomato farmers or vineyards have that sort of unregulated freedom.

I do think it is ironic that for as long as I can remember I have always heard growers state that the cannabis industry should be legal, like the alcohol industry. The new legislation is very closely modeled after the alcohol industry. Well guess what - the alcohol industry has lots of taxes and regulations - far more than anything proposed thus far for cannabis in fact. We can complain all we want, but that won't change the fact that regulations and taxes will be part of the industry from now on. So, if you grow in California, you best be paying attention to what is going on, because like it or not, it will affect all of us. The industry will likely change more in the next 2 years than the last 20, for better or for worse, so try to be prepared.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Tracking from seed to sale means. No more backpack brigades selling to the dispo.. In other words anyone without big money will be pushed out.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

Are there any counties in California that will allow large outdoor grows? I can see Oakland and sf for indoor but outdoor is going to be difficult.

B

Blazing Oaks

Are there any counties in California that will allow large outdoor grows? I can see Oakland and sf for indoor but outdoor is going to be difficult.

Absolutely. According to the new state regulations a tier 1 grow will allow up to 5,000 square feet of cultivation. Tier 2 allows up to 10,000 square feet. Tier 3 will be even larger, but there will be a cap on how many of those will be allowed in the state, so I get the impression those will be for the big corporate guys like Phillip Morris, etc. These new laws will allow for much larger, legal cultivation sties for medical cannabis than are allowed now.

The application process has already begun too - here in Mendocino if you cultivate more than 2,000 square feet of cannabis you are supposed to enroll in the North Coast Regional Water Board (NCRWB) Program by Feb 2016. Supposedly anyone enrolled will receive preferential treatment when signing up for the required cultivation permits, and the NCRWB has stated that will work with growers to help them comply with these new laws. By 2018 the state will begin issuing cultivation permits, and again, anyone signed up and in compliance before this deadline will receive preferential treatment.

Part of the new laws allow for counties and cities to self regulate the industry though - so some areas will undoubtedly ban commercial cultivation outright. Some will embrace it - most likely Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity. If counties or cities do not pass their own permitting and taxation plans, then those areas will fall under the guidelines set by the state. In theory a county could pass local legislation allowing even larger grows to be permitted, though I have a feeling this won't happen.

There is also nothing to stop people from simply not complying. The black market isn't going anywhere. However, it will be much easier for law enforcement to see who is legal and who is not in the future as there will no longer be any grey area.

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

I assume current county ordinance are in play, which eliminates most of the foothills

B

Blazing Oaks

Well, that I am not exactly sure about. It's a very complex set of bills and many of the specifics have yet to be worked out. From what has been happening here in Mendocino it is my understanding that these new state laws will essentially void all the old ordinances and regulations. The slate will be wiped clean so to speak. If counties wish to ban commercial cultivation, or to adopt different regulations or taxation plans, then they must pass new local ordinances to do so. At this point the deadline for that is in March, though that may be pushed back. If counties do not adopt an alternative by that deadline, then they will be regulated by the state guidelines, which will indeed allow commercial cultivation, and are far more liberal than any county guidelines currently in effect (assuming you get your proper permits, etc), at least as far as I am aware.

Furthermore, the new regulations do state that personal medical grows will NOT have to comply with these new regulations and taxes - they will be for commercial production only. What is considered a personal medical grow is not specified at this point. In addition, I do believe it will be possible for cities or counties to attempt to ban personal grows. However, I did recently read that there is action being taken to make personal medical cultivation a constitutional right. Hopefully this will indeed happen, as it will prevent counties and cities from banning personal medical grows and allow patients access to quality medicine they can grow themselves.

These regulations are NOT set in stone, they will likely change quite a bit over the next several years. If we do not want to get steam-rolled by prohibitionists and bureaucratic buffoons it will be important that growers voice their concerns. Though it will be a big change, it will be important for people in the cannabis industry to get out there and make our voice heard. Start going to board of supervisor meetings, pay attention to whats going on in your area, and be sure to get out to vote on important issues. If we just sit in the shadows like most of us have become accustomed to, then these decisions will be made for us.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
All these hands in the pie will raise the final sales prices and make a larger black market. This is doomed to fail. It won`t even get off the ground if we can pass the CCHI bill into law. I`m hopeful people will see the new state laws for what they are ( like prop 19) and wise up and vote for CCHI . Throwing regulations around like candy, adding many hands between farmer and customer, regulating it to death and taxing the hell out of it is not what I envisioned as legalization. Not even close!!!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
All these hands in the pie will raise the final sales prices and make a larger black market. This is doomed to fail. It won`t even get off the ground if we can pass the CCHI bill into law. I`m hopeful people will see the new state laws for what they are ( like prop 19) and wise up and vote for CCHI . Throwing regulations around like candy, adding many hands between farmer and customer, regulating it to death and taxing the hell out of it is not what I envisioned as legalization. Not even close!!!
That's exactly what they have done out here in Co.

Latest posts

Top Bottom