run of bad Eco Testr 1 and 2

• Thread starter click80
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
click80

click80

Just back from returning second PH tester in one week. My local store had had 6 of these ph testers come back within the last two weeks. My previous Eco Testr lasted over a year until I broke it recently so I do not want to say they are just plain crap, but they are definitely having troubles now. Both of them that have gone bad worked fine for a couple days then started not stabilizing, then finally could not be calibrated.

When I went into store to return second one she showed me a box with 6 (not including my two) that had been returned in last two weeks.

Just a warning.

click80

click80

damn...i was wondering if maybe it was isolated...like maybe rough handling on just the ones my store got....what a shame, oakton has been good to me..my older oakton ppm started acting wonky, now this shit...I bought a blue lab ppm, great meter, sturdy ect...the store lady told me she was getting in some blue lab ph meters im going to swap that out too prob. I wish i had just got the blue lab combo meter but at the time i only needed the ppm meter...oh well.

god i wish i was nearer to a city where i had some choices. I love the owner, but it is a small shop and sometimes i am limited on selection. Better than not having any store nearby i guess.

putembk

putembk

Had the same problem. My first one lasted until the warranty ran out. Just a few weeks over a year. I went and got another one and it wouldn't stabilize. I took it back and they gave me another but made me feel like I was doing something wrong in the process. The new one works fine, I am being extremely careful with this one. Was wondering is there a more dependable tester out there?

click80

click80

I think each company has their fans, I have heard equal good and bad about each. I am sure its a component problem that presents as a bunch going bad at once, or at least that is what I am thinking about this problem. I think it is probably really good practice on these to always store in cal solution or water, also I am going to be very careful not to even bump it on anything. It could be there is just one board component that cannot take any stress, just like some strains..haha

Overall, I think i have heard the most good stuff about Bluelab. Especially the Blue Lab combo meter, it has replaceable probes and the temp and EC does not need calibrating..ever......

I just found one on Amazon for 205.00, that is 90 bucks cheaper than at the local Hydrofarm distributor. Here is a link....http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=blue+lab+combo+meter&gs_upl=2341l4943l0l7409l12l11l0l1l1l0l232l1818l0.7.3l10l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18287240477124642952

putembk

putembk

I think each company has their fans, I have heard equal good and bad about each. I am sure its a component problem that presents as a bunch going bad at once, or at least that is what I am thinking about this problem. I think it is probably really good practice on these to always store in cal solution or water, also I am going to be very careful not to even bump it on anything. It could be there is just one board component that cannot take any stress, just like some strains..haha

Overall, I think i have heard the most good stuff about Bluelab. Especially the Blue Lab combo meter, it has replaceable probes and the temp and EC does not need calibrating..ever......

I just found one on Amazon for 205.00, that is 90 bucks cheaper than at the local Hydrofarm distributor. Here is a link....http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=blue+lab+combo+meter&gs_upl=2341l4943l0l7409l12l11l0l1l1l0l232l1818l0.7.3l10l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18287240477124642952
Thanks, since I have just gotten a new one I will try and make it last as long as I can, especially since we all know they aren't cheep. Will look into the Blue Lab when this one goes bad. I used to keep my tester in tap water and the stores recommendation was to use 7.0 and change it out regularly.
I also clean it with alcohol every 10 days or so depending on the number of readings taken and type of nutes/sups given. Is there anything I should be doing differently. Appreciate any advise.

click80

click80

Thanks, since I have just gotten a new one I will try and make it last as long as I can, especially since we all know they aren't cheep. Will look into the Blue Lab when this one goes bad. I used to keep my tester in tap water and the stores recommendation was to use 7.0 and change it out regularly.
I also clean it with alcohol every 10 days or so depending on the number of readings taken and type of nutes/sups given. Is there anything I should be doing differently. Appreciate any advise.

Yeah storing it in the cal solution (7.0) is prob best. I use mine so much though that that would get expensive for me..lol

I just use RO water which is imo the same. I would not clean it with alcohol though...I think that might fog the glass? I keep clean RO water around and always rinse mine off right away every time i use it so I have never felt that I had to clean it beyond swishing it around in the RO water after every use. Whatever the directions advise as to periodic cleaning would be best. I think using alcohol is mainly for cleaning PPM/EC probes. Just my opinion though.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

i abuse the crap out of mine, just over 2 years now, got a cheap 5 dollar backup from ebay

putembk

putembk

Yeah storing it in the cal solution (7.0) is prob best. I use mine so much though that that would get expensive for me..lol

I just use RO water which is imo the same. I would not clean it with alcohol though...I think that might fog the glass? I keep clean RO water around and always rinse mine off right away every time i use it so I have never felt that I had to clean it beyond swishing it around in the RO water after every use. Whatever the directions advise as to periodic cleaning would be best. I think using alcohol is mainly for cleaning PPM/EC probes. Just my opinion though.
Thanks, appreciate the info.

putembk

putembk

i abuse the crap out of mine, just over 2 years now, got a cheap 5 dollar backup from ebay
Two years, lots of abuse and cheep! I have noticed that the longer I keep a ph meter the less I trust it. I have gotten to the point that I calibrate it before each reading. That is also why I (probably stupid) pay the price and store it in 7.0. I guess what I'm saying is how accurate is it?

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

I have the eco2 and it works fine I had a problem with it about 6 mos. ago. I did a reset on it and it has been working since. I got the tester with a bunch of equipment that I "traded" for so returning it wasn't an option. I looked up the directions online and made it work.

click80

click80

last time I was in the store she pulled out a box and had what looked to be about 15 of them...totally bad run from the factory...I guess

The last one she gave me is hanging in there but I am being super frigging careful with it...bad fracking time too...been having trouble with my deathstar mothers and didnt need to be fucking my ph up...oh well I am good now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom