Run Off Ph

• Thread starter bobby34
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobby34

Hi Guys, Im in my first Coco grow, week 5 and every thing is fine. Id just like a definitive answer on testing run off. I did it for the first time today just to see what it was. Ive been PHing to 5.9 -6.0 for every feed and the plants look good. But my run off is 6.7.

Like i say the plants look fine but im just looking for answers from the experienced to set my mind at rest in regards to PH range and why the run is higher?.

Many thanks

B

bobby34

Forgot to add,, Im feeding once a day and getting at least 20% run off. also nutes came out roughly 100ppms less than i put in. The coco is canna professional. nutes are canna coco A+B and big bud @ 850ppms,

Kepp89

Kepp89

if it looks fine its cause runoff is typically a tad higher i do believe but it seems like a topic some people debate on. but if you really want to know:

look into a soil slurry and do one. you have all the stuff at home i imagine and probably used them in the last week. that will give you a more accurate reading of what the roots are sitting in.

B

bobby34

Thanks Kepp, was thinking may be ph ing down to 5.6 for a few days then keep it at 5.8 and test run off after a week of that may be?

Kepp89

Kepp89

you're welcome. i was in soil and needed to do that for 3 weeks (4 waterings) so yeah what you said sounds about right imo

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Testing runoff is kind of chasing a ghost and won't give you a good reading. Kind of pointless. As kepp said slurry test will help give you a better reading.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Testing runoff consistently will alert us to trends in the medium. You can see when fertilizer starts to build up as the ec in the runoff rises. It also gets darker and maybe smellier. And the ph will go acidic.

I always check runoff ec. And ph if problems show.

K

Kot

I also grow in coco and I think when I over feed the run off ph is lower than the input. When the run off PPM is lower than the input the run off ph is higher. So I guess you can bump the feed a little. Though I've never went to 850 PPM, my highest is 500.

But as others said don't worry too much about run off ph. Measure PPM only.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Testing runoff consistently will alert us to trends in the medium. You can see when fertilizer starts to build up as the ec in the runoff rises. It also gets darker and maybe smellier. And the ph will go acidic.

I always check runoff ec. And ph if problems show.
I keep a close eye on my EC (PPM), and PH runoff to counteract issues before they show on the plants.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The problem is with runoff if you are an experienced gardener it can be a good tool in the toolbox. If you aren't , and your watering times arent dialed in something like coco, it can give you a false direction to assess your problem. Over watering and letting them dry too much will fuck around with the ph/ppm of the runoff and point you to adjusting nutes when you really just need to adjust the watering schedule. I guess I should have thrown that on the first one.

B

bobby34

Thanks Guys, starting week 5 today,, Stardawg. Im new to coco but used to grow in Undercurrent so have just taken exactly the same nutrient profile, for each week of growth and it seems to be working fine. 1-2 is A+B and Cal mag, slowly building up from 500ppm, Ph 6.0. weeks 3-6 is A+B & Big bud, maxing out at 850ppm. Then 7-9 is A+B & overdive. staying at 850ppm. Although i may start using 5.8 as my PH level to set at. Also i dont use RO water so my water is coming in around 230 ish

B

bobby34

Beautiful
Thanks bub, I’ve got 1 week left. Looks decent. First time in coco and first time with this strain. I only topped once from cuttings and vegged for 2 and a half weeks. I’ve come from growing in undercurrent and closed rooms with CO2. so was expecting a massive stretch.
Didn’t happen!!!. So I’m just readjusting. Nutes seem to work at same ph and strength. So no change there. Think I’m gonna go perpetual with seed, 3 weeks seedling tent, 3 weeks main line veg then flower.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Could your runoff be higher due to the buffering that is added to the Coco? I don't use it, but I know that most soilless mediums are buffered somewhat, which might explain the higher Ph than what was going in. Fertilizers are usually acidic, so the buffering would be triggered by the acidity, trying to keep it closer to 7. I could certainly be wrong, but again, I don't use Coco and prefer Promix.

Top Bottom