Running A Mini Split During Cold Winters

• Thread starter Tino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Tino

So I just got my 15 seer, 3 ton, 36k btu d.i.y. Ideal-Air mini split.
Only problem is that "winter is coming" and I'm worried that my condenser is going to freeze up on me. where I am it can get close to 0 degrees in the winter . its rated to handle an outdoor ambien temp of 5 degrees but even the people over at ideal air are telling me it doesnt work so great at lower temps like that. So my question is this.. does anyone else live in a similar climate and own an ideal air mini split like mine? if so what luck have you had . I've heard of some people making makeshift enclosures around there outdoor unit to trap in heat . I could really use some knowledge on this one, thanks

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Had one of those before. Imo not a quality product. In the future if you can help it try and stick with Japanese compressors. A Mitsubishi, Daikin, or fujitsu. In the mean time in cold weather get a heating pad and tape it with duct tape on the back by the coils. I did mine on a timer from 8pm -8am during the cold part of the night. Worked until I got a unit with a heat pump and defrost feature.

green punk

green punk

Build an enclosure leaving space for intake and put a sliding door on the front where the fan blows out. The sliding door acts as a valve to control the temperature. During cold snaps warm ups adjust opening of door etc.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

Build an enclosure leaving space for intake and put a sliding door on the front where the fan blows out. The sliding door acts as a valve to control the temperature. During cold snaps warm ups adjust opening of door etc.

where the fuck have you been?
place was getting boring

fwiw

T

Tino

@green punk insulate enclosure or no

T

Tino

Had one of those before. Imo not a quality product. In the future if you can help it try and stick with Japanese compressors. A Mitsubishi, Daikin, or fujitsu. In the mean time in cold weather get a heating pad and tape it with duct tape on the back by the coils. I did mine on a timer from 8pm -8am during the cold part of the night. Worked until I got a unit with a heat pump and defrost feature.
Not for nothing that's a solid idea. My unit has a heat pump. I'm just not sure whether it will keep it alive in the real cold nights. I tried being able to budget a mitsubishi. Ended up being $3k more and where I am you need special license to get one

green punk

green punk

I have a Mitsubishi heat pump. Mine isn't insulated its just plywood with 2x4 frame. I take the ply wood off in summer. It stays plenty warm even at -10 F even colder at night.

@wobbly goblin, Still kickin it in the trenches, don't get online much or login when I do.

T

Tino

I have a Mitsubishi heat pump. Mine isn't insulated its just plywood with 2x4 frame. I take the ply wood off in summer. It stays plenty warm even at -10 F even colder at night.

@wobbly goblin, Still kickin it in the trenches, don't get online much or login when I do.

What is your mitsubishi rated as far as outdoor ambient operating temperature for cooling. Ideal air supposedly 5F but I have a feeling that that's bs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom