Runoff 3500-or?

• Thread starter knowisking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
knowisking

knowisking

Hi all, new grower here running H16 in week 6 veg, promix CC.

I contacted H16 in regards to the PPM in veg week 2 and beyond as the their chart indicates. After a 60 gallon mix I acquired a reading of 1680PPM, so I say this can't be right and diluted the mix 50%. I finally got in touch with H16 and was told that's normal and not to be concerned. Well, I'm concerned and still decided to ramp up slowly. My last feed was around 1200ppm. Very minor tip burn the following day with gorgeous green leaves, no deficiencies what so ever. I decided to check the run off and I was baffled with the reading of 3500-OR PPM / PH 5.5

I Should also mention that I do not water/feed until runoff. I feed 2gallons per 10 gallon smart pot, 2.5 gallons usually begins to drain out slightly.

Do I need to be concerned?

Last edited:
The Terps

The Terps

Typically the higher your ec the the more run off you want. It's when unused nutrients dry up that issues occur. So there is a tie bit of info. Also that's pretty high feed I bet you could obtain the same results with less.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

No need to be concerned. Measuring runoff is sort of useless anyways- you want to check your medium ec/ph, not your runoff. If you're seeing burning back off the nutes, there's no reason to ever be feeding more than 1.2 ec of nutrient to a plant.

knowisking

knowisking

Thanks for all the replies fellas. My PH is pretty close to where I want it and I'm barely seeing any nute burn so I'll just continue and not go full strength as H16 recommends. In the meantime I've decided to use drip clean and from what I'm reading it's not good to use in the middle of a grow.

The Terps

The Terps

Just water your normal ppm a cause I know they really aren't going to recommend 3000 ppm anything I water around 1000 ppm no mater what line I use give or take 300. No leaf burn is good leaf burn

hermit186

hermit186

Some don't check run off and others do is only a small part of the picture.
If your going to check your runoff you need a standard.
Every time you do it keep records. After the grow look at the record and cut root ball into four pieces top down. So you have full slices to look at, look for red spots and when you first remove the pot, look at the mass at the bottom of the pot. If is red and ugly to many nutrients and PH not right. If you have lumps of rust red in the roots you have a chemistry media not working together problem.

If your going from the roots up makes the best plants idea, which is how it works not from the top down. If you wait till the top of your plant shows you a problem you will chase your tail till you cut it.

You can drop the pot off and look any time just don't shake it up.

By the time you see burnt tips on your leaves you have the start of died roots in the ball which will progress into PH problem then comes nut lock out and so on. If you show any burnt tips treat then right then you need something that will dissolve the dead roots and not effect the growth and back off the nutrients by 25% and watch the new growth.

You can search the posts and find all of this but, if you look here there are at least 10,000 different formulas. If there was one wonderful formula there would still be one for each brand of nutrients, one for each media, understand. In the end you will come up with yours and wonder why it doesn't work for others.

To prove my point for jacks alone the formula has changed so many times its hard to see the original formula and I have one that is a shake and bake to the type weed I am growing. The more Hybrid the more tweaking.

One think I will say the garden loves all the mixtures that is interesting.

knowisking

knowisking

I have since cut back on runoffs. NO MORE RUNOFFS AND NO MORE ISSUES. I feed/water 1.5 gallons and my girls are perkier and happier than ever. Once again, I followed Heavy 16 directions. Not knocking just saying that it's not working for me. I have since added drip clean and no nute blocks ever since.

Top Bottom