rust spots in the middle of leaves

• Thread starter lava
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lava

lava

im leaning towards a calcium def, but i would like confirmation before i try to fix it so i do not create another problem.

Ebb and grow with botanicare pure blend. This pics are from day 4 in flower after a 48 hr dark period. EC just under 1, but my mg:ca ratio is about 3:2 and i am using RO water. ppm is falling slightly and ph is rising slightly daily. ph started at 5.6 4 days ago and now its at 5.9

New growth looks fine, but middle-aged leaves are forming tiny rust spots. Not the large rust spots i see in most pics.

Rust spots in the middle of leaves
Rust spots in the middle of leaves 2
Rust spots in the middle of leaves 3
Rust spots in the middle of leaves 4
Rust spots in the middle of leaves 5
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't have much experience with hydro, but its probably a lockout due to Ca or Mg. What ppm are you using for Ca and Mg?? Somewhere around 70 ppm for Ca should be fine, but I think Mg needs to be lower so the 3:2 Mg:Ca ratio might be the problem. Good luck and hopefully someone with more exp using an ebb n flo setup can help out because I'm not certain.

lava

lava

thanks for the help lex. I attached my filled out canna stats for the recipe, not sure how to interpret it yet. It is saying ca 40ppm and mg 23ppm

some updated pics, now at day 8

Def b1
Def b2
Def b3
Def b4
Cannastats
P

paulycali

At first i didnt think it was a cal mag deficiency but i believe it is. Add some tap water to your reservoir or purchase some cal mag. Good luck :)

lava

lava

ok, 2.5ml/gal of calmag went in yesterday. Also, flushed them out yesterday.. I will update in a few days.

homebrew420

homebrew420

uneven watering is my analysis. Cal becomes unable to transport through the tissue and causes the spots and necrosis you are seeing. It is most likely not a deficiency. Just stay ontop of watering regularly and this will not reoccur

Good luck

Thoth

Thoth

A plant should be able to redistribute water throughout it body regardless of whether watering is even or not.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hey homebrew, what do you mean by uneven watering?? Is it watering on an inconsistent basis or over/under watering??

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

A plant should be able to redistribute water throughout it body regardless of whether watering is even or not.

I agree, I thought he meant over or under watering, but IME I've never seen necrosis spots from that. Also, if he meant watering the pot unevenly, the water will slowly distribute itself throughout the media if there is an adequate amount, if not, then the roots will absorb and supply the water throughout the plant whether or not the media was evenly saturated. It just seems unlikely that plants being unevenly watered will cause a lack of Ca which in turn creates necrosis. I say this because when growing outdoors this past summer there were multiple times when my plants were neglected and they were severely under-watered, but they never had spots like that on them I'm not saying its impossible, it just seems unlikely.

@Lava- Whats up mane, could you give us an update?? I'm curious to see how your plants are doing and also if my assessment was somewhat accurate.

C

cctt

I disagree about the new growth looking ok. I see lightening between the veins all over. It looks deficient in more than a single element. What medium are they planted in, and how are the roots looking?

G

gold bar

your roots probably look like hell...

these are on a slow death, take your clones

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

your roots probably look like hell...

these are on a slow death, take your clones

????
don't listen to that guy - negative energy for your plants right there!

you're overdosing on K. lighten up the potassium (although based on that feed chard i have no idea where it's coming from). Too much early in flower will lock out nitrogen, calcium and magnesium, which is what you're deficient in. Plants deficient in calcium also go through alot more light stress - leaves are paler and burn easier.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I really think it was too much Mg locking out Ca because your suppose to have more Ca compared to Mg. In Lava's 1st post he said there is 50% more Mg then Ca. That right there could cause a lockout because of too much Mg or he just doesn't have enough Ca which is causing a deficiency.

I don't think PBP has enough K to cause a lockout at under 1 EC, unless he is using a supplement or something else with K that he didn't mention. Now if he was using soil then there could be a source of K in the soil, but thats not the case. I also don't believe his roots look like hell and his plants are on a slow death, I have no idea how someone could come to that conclusion based on the info given :confused:

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I really think it was too much Mg locking out Ca because your suppose to have more Ca compared to Mg. In Lava's 1st post he said there is 50% more Mg then Ca. That right there could cause a lockout because of too much Mg or he just doesn't have enough Ca which is causing a deficiency.

I don't think PBP has enough K to cause a lockout at under 1 EC, unless he is using a supplement or something else with K that he didn't mention. Now if he was using soil then there could be a source of K in the soil, but thats not the case. I also don't believe his roots look like hell and his plants are on a slow death, I have no idea how someone could come to that conclusion based on the info given :confused:

I run PBP and I agree there's not enough K to cause lockout...BUT, there's potash in silica blast, really pumping that early can put lots of potassium silicate into the soil, and whether or not the potash left over can be easily broken down and absorbed by the plant is up for question - especially so early in flower, and especially if you've used hydroplex early on too. I've experienced similar deficiencies (signs of N,Ca,Mg,Fe, and even Mo later in flower) when using silica blast heavy in the transitional phase and i think residual potassium salts is to blame.

green punk

green punk

I agree w homebrew. Over watering to point of wilt, or a hard dried out wilt will cause lock out and result in similar spots blotching. It can happen it a well amended soil, where lock out is nearly impossible otherwise. My .02

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I run PBP and I agree there's not enough K to cause lockout...BUT, there's potash in silica blast, really pumping that early can put lots of potassium silicate into the soil, and whether or not the potash left over can be easily broken down and absorbed by the plant is up for question - especially so early in flower, and especially if you've used hydroplex early on too. I've experienced similar deficiencies (signs of N,Ca,Mg,Fe, and even Mo later in flower) when using silica blast heavy in the transitional phase and i think residual potassium salts is to blame.

I agree with that, but I think he said he was using an ebb n flo not soil. Its impossible to know anything if Lava doesn't respond lol

lava

lava

@Lava- Whats up mane, could you give us an update?? I'm curious to see how your plants are doing and also if my assessment was somewhat accurate.

oh man, forgot about this post...sorry everybody

still chasing phantom deficiencies....bugs

pics 1-4 are in roots after harvest
5th pic is from sticky fly paper

Lavas fungus gnats
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

oh man, forgot about this post...sorry everybody

still chasing phantom deficiencies....bugs

pics 1-4 are in roots after harvest
5th pic is from sticky fly paper

Fungus gnats and fungus gnat larvae??? Thats my best guess.

Your plants look real good from the pics though.

Top Bottom