Rusty dirty looking leaves? What is this?

• Thread starter Jslo313
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elusiveshame

Nah, lol. The bottom feeders seemed like a good idea before I started growing. Now they’re just expensive water trays. Need to just throw the wicks away. Not really seeing a point in those anymore.
Fwiw, I build my own bottom feeders and the result has been great for me.

Mothman

Mothman

I just reviewed this thread. Lots of theories based on limited info. OP, I think we may need to know in greater detail the facts of your grow: watering amounts and frequency, soil info, any feeding data, air circulation, light type and related info, etc.

This list below may help someone smarter than me when it comes to diagnoses.

Here’s what I have extracted from your posts so far:
  • Affects outermost leaves and those farthest (or hidden) from light
  • Problem is getting worse
  • You haven’t seen pest evidence even with magnification
  • You’ve give minimal nutrients
  • No cal mag given
  • It’s about 4 wks in flower
  • You water with 1 part tap and 2 parts distilled
  • This is your first grow
  • You haven’t performed any runoff test in well over a month (i.e., before flowering)
Some of my observations:
  • 3-pointed leaves at bottom show what looks like calcium def pattern along veins (pic 1)
  • Pic 2 shows what looks like cupping of leaves with less of the vein-oriented pattern of damage and more random (pests?)
  • Is that a coco soil blend in the pots?
As someone said earlier, you may have more than one problem to solve. Can we see your youngest leaves up close?

J

Jslo313

Supporter
Ok. Here goes with the deep info

Juicy fruit strain 60/40 sat/ind
Marketed as photo but clearly auto

18/6 light cycle from day one to current
VivosunVS1000 led grow light (100 watt)
50% thru veg, 75 first week flower 100%+ for last three weeks. Aiming for 600 par around the goofy looking canopy. Much more and the leaves seem to shy away.

Soil started as foxfarms Ocean Forrest but musta got moisture in the bag cuz when I went to up pot, there was mold. Threw that away and went with a highly recommended brand from local grow shop. Forget the name of the brand. Must not be super commercial. White bag. Straight soil. No coco.

Nutes are foxfarms
Big bloom: used once or twice as transitioning from seedling to veg
Grow big: two or three weeks in veg
Tiger bloom: once I found out the pistols weren’t preflower and I’m probably dealing with autos (some idiot mixed up the seeds?? Lol)
Each nutrient was used as 1/4 to 1/3 recommended dosage. Every other watering.
Not other nutrients aside from some silica

Water always ph’d to 6.5. 1/2 tap 1/2 distilled to keep ppm around 100. About a gallon a week between the two plants. Watering every five days, more by feel, an inch or two into the soil. I probably overwatered a bit during seedling. Watered often but with a misting spray bottle. Just enough to see some runoff from the red plastic cups.

Tonight I added cal mag, ph’d to 7.1 and runoff is actually PH’ing at 5.7 so that’s probably telling me what my issue is right there.

Quick question, should I run some extra water thru tonight, at like 7.5 to raise the soil ph or just be patient and do another round of 7.0-7.5 next week?

J

Jslo313

Supporter
Not a lot of young leaves but here’s my best shot. Plus a shot of both plants from a distance.

Oh yeah, airflow is chillin. Floor fan opposite the intake, oscillating just above the canopy and carbon filter/inline fan at the top. Clean/replace the sleeve regularly to keep air moving thru it without any issues.

Temp and humidity pretty strictly controlled 74-81 F, 60% thru seedling, 50-60 thru veg and 40-50 thru last few weeks of flowering.

9DEB2588 C702 43F1 86C5 7E620AC7632E
6835F4EF 0C07 4236 864E CCF5FECEC0A5
2F5BD819 1E98 4C78 B01B 4F08D64302E0
J

Jslo313

Supporter
I missed a lot of the comments about mites and thrips. I’ve been extraordinarily diligent about check bottoms of all affected leaves. Never seen anything even seemingly suspicious. Been looking a LOT lately and can’t find any discoloration other than where some of the rusty stuff burns thru. Wouldn’t rule it out as I’ve never encountered them but I’m feeling pretty confident this isn’t pests.

As a side thought, my girls have now had to listen to every episode of TWD in the “morning time”. Could this have anything to do? Lol.

Also, trich pics. I didn’t think I was doing too bad??

FD99EAB2 DCBB 40B8 9761 9514A7A869F8
A9FA1594 7ADE 4E54 A07E 0F6FA696BAEA
8CF829BC 449F 43D2 A7B6 7244A1E4B54F
Mothman

Mothman

If you were earlier in your grow, I might have suggested scratching some dolomitic lime into the soil to raise your soil pH and add some calcium. But I’m not sure you have enough grow time left for it to have much effect. It works slowly.

I’m not an auto-grower, so what I can do to help is limited. Getting your detailed grow info published here may help. Lots of smart growers wandering in and out here.

Just to be clear, you haven’t seen any fine spider webbing in your plants? One of your pics really does look like mites.

Mothman

Mothman

Quick question, should I run some extra water thru tonight, at like 7.5 to raise the soil ph or just be patient and do another round of 7.0-7.5 next week?
I don’t see where you got an answer to this. I would not dump more water in on top of your normal watering w/calmag. Wait til next regular watering/feeding.

J

Jslo313

Supporter
Appreciate the input. I’ll post some pics next week and let y’all know how it’s going in case anyone else rubs into a similar issue. Thanks everyone!

Top Bottom