Sad seedling Day 2

• Thread starter MajorLee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MajorLee

MajorLee

Hello fellow farmers,

I'm new to this whole growing world and Im looking for some advice.

Im currently growing some Green Crack inside my 4 x 4 tent with a 1200 watt Viparspectra adjusted to the top of the grow tent, roughly 4 feet away. I'm using pro mix soil and distilled water PH at 6.5. The temp is 26 degrees and humidity is 50%. Does this seedling look healthy at this stage or should I adjust the environment? Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Image0
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hello fellow farmers,

I'm new to this whole growing world and Im looking for some advice.

Im currently growing some Green Crack inside my 4 x 4 tent with a 1200 watt Viparspectra adjusted to the top of the grow tent, roughly 4 feet away. I'm using pro mix soil and distilled water PH at 6.5. The temp is 26 degrees and humidity is 50%. Does this seedling look healthy at this stage or should I adjust the environment? Any input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you
hello there, welcome to the farm.
so far so good, patience, roots are growing first!
wet/dry cycle is important!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
what do you recommend to create the perfect wet/dry cycle?
I have grown in Promix for decades. It is almost impossible to mess up unless you overfeed things and start messing with the Ph. Promix is buffered to keep a Ph of between 6 and 7. Why are you using RO water... is your local water that bad? Tap water usually provides minerals that avoids the need for additives like Cal-Mag.
Promix (if it is the baled product, not their general purpose potting soil which is different and loaded with nutrients) will hold enough water to keep the root zone damp but still allows Oxygen into the roots. When I start seedlings directly into a 5 gallon bucket, I water about 2 inches around the seedlings area, about 8 oz, twice a week. It is important to thouroughly soak the Promix well before planting to activate the buffers, etc. As your seedling grows new roots, it will spread out into the already damp areas and shouldn't need much water for the first 2 weeks. Slowly increase the water as the plant grows bigger. After a month, I usually water every 2-3 days and at 6 weeks it is every other day. Some strains use more water... it seems Sativa takes more in my experience.
I feed a general purpose 20-20-20 fertilizer (Jacks) about every 12-15 days after 4 weeks. If you follow that schedule, you should avoid deficiencies, lockouts, Ph issues, and most other problems. You might need to supplement the feedings with a light snack. I usually mix about 20% compost/manure into the Promix, along with a handfull of sustained release fertilizer (Osmokote). This provides a lot of micro and macro nutrients and keeps a little nutrition in the Promix between feedings. Since you haven't added this, you might need to find a light nutrient to go between feedings.
I know a lot of information is confusing. I have used this basic recipe for over 30 years and it is almost foolproof. Patience and restraint are the most important factors other than light and medium. At least in my opinion.

MajorLee

MajorLee

I have grown in Promix for decades. It is almost impossible to mess up unless you overfeed things and start messing with the Ph. Promix is buffered to keep a Ph of between 6 and 7. Why are you using RO water... is your local water that bad? Tap water usually provides minerals that avoids the need for additives like Cal-Mag.
Promix (if it is the baled product, not their general purpose potting soil which is different and loaded with nutrients) will hold enough water to keep the root zone damp but still allows Oxygen into the roots. When I start seedlings directly into a 5 gallon bucket, I water about 2 inches around the seedlings area, about 8 oz, twice a week. It is important to thouroughly soak the Promix well before planting to activate the buffers, etc. As your seedling grows new roots, it will spread out into the already damp areas and shouldn't need much water for the first 2 weeks. Slowly increase the water as the plant grows bigger. After a month, I usually water every 2-3 days and at 6 weeks it is every other day. Some strains use more water... it seems Sativa takes more in my experience.
I feed a general purpose 20-20-20 fertilizer (Jacks) about every 12-15 days after 4 weeks. If you follow that schedule, you should avoid deficiencies, lockouts, Ph issues, and most other problems. You might need to supplement the feedings with a light snack. I usually mix about 20% compost/manure into the Promix, along with a handfull of sustained release fertilizer (Osmokote). This provides a lot of micro and macro nutrients and keeps a little nutrition in the Promix between feedings. Since you haven't added this, you might need to find a light nutrient to go between feedings.
I know a lot of information is confusing. I have used this basic recipe for over 30 years and it is almost foolproof. Patience and restraint are the most important factors other than light and medium. At least in my opinion.
Thank you for all that information! I might have a bigger problem coming down the line. I was told not pre soak the pro mix before you plant your seedlings in order to avoid over watering. I planted the seed 1/2” into the dry amendment soil mix and lightly watered above the seed.

B

blaze.this

Looking good, just need to be easy on the food and watch her colours

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

It looks ok, i to have a 600w viperspecta, with seedlings until they emerge from tabs and start there 2nd set i leave my light backed off at 32inc once they start there 2nd set i bring my light down to 24inc above canopy my sweet spot, your pushing more lumens so your gonna have to find your sweet spot but remember your little leaves should be pointing up to the light not shying or God forbid burning.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thank you for all that information! I might have a bigger problem coming down the line. I was told not pre soak the pro mix before you plant your seedlings in order to avoid over watering. I planted the seed 1/2” into the dry amendment soil mix and lightly watered above the seed.
I think it depends on which Promix product you use. I am using the bales of Promix BK or HP... NOT the general purpose potting soil that they now make (which also contains nutes... the original Promix doesn't). The baled stuff needs to be hydrated before use as it is bone dry and compressed. It has to be broken up and well watered to activate the buffers that are built in. The potting soil is probably like any other, so overwatering would be a concern. The Promix HP stands for High Porosity... it doesn't hold much water at all.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think what JImster means with the pre-water is wet it down, let it sit so the moisture permeates through it. My way is to prepare the soil, water it down ... then in my case, move the pete pot into the solo cup. It's the same principle. You definitely don't want to over-water but you also don't want to plant a seed in dry soil. If you use Jimster's method or something similar where you're consciously making sure you're not over-watering your plants.

Patience and restraint

Good advice - in other words, take things one step at a time. Avoid the urge to make a whole bunch of adjustments all at once.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I think what JImster means with the pre-water is wet it down, let it sit so the moisture permeates through it. My way is to prepare the soil, water it down ... then in my case, move the pete pot into the solo cup. It's the same principle. You definitely don't want to over-water but you also don't want to plant a seed in dry soil. If you use Jimster's method or something similar where you're consciously making sure you're not over-watering your plants.

Good advice - in other words, take things one step at a time. Avoid the urge to make a whole bunch of adjustments all at once.
so true

Top Bottom