Safely Remove Chloromine From Tap Water.

• Thread starter LordDankinstien
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Ok I've been doing some research on how to remove chloromine from water for brew caps tea's. I've read using humid acid at 1 teaspoon per 100 gallons or so should do the trick. Anyone know for sure? What are you people using to treat your water besides just ro water? There are a few other methods I read but nothing was a really solid answer. Here is one of the websites I used to research.

Landfishd

Landfishd

"Prime" is a product sold at pet stores for aquariums. It neutralizes chlorine and chloromine. Many people have used it in there res for growing. Seems to work for them. I used it the other day to treat 5 gallons for a tea and the tea came out looking good under a microscope. Lots of bacteria and stuff, not much fungus but I didn't have my packs from cap yet. Can't wait to compare for the next tea brew.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Amquel is another one I have a salt water tank, Im worried about possible negitive effects of amquel on the human body. Im probably being parnoid since fish are very sensitive for almost anything and they do fine with the product, but I'm worried I might get cancer or some shit from it. A few people I know that have been diagnosed with cancer recently.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I read the article posted after I posted (duh), and was a little concerned by it. I asked the higher ups and they said to "try and avoid chlorinated tap water". I'm still researching this. The humic acid idea sounds awesome to me. Great thread LD.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
this says that chloramine will not affect bennies in soil, but i am not sure about hydro. It also says that an RO filter will do nothing to prevent chloramines from passing through. Those who have looked at the bennies under a scope report significant amounts of microbial life, so my guess is the amount of chloramines is not high enough to affect them... just a guess though.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Hmm interesting, thats good because I've read that bubbling tap water is unaffective at removing chloromine. I really didn't want to use amquel for neutralizing the chloromine.

Thanks
LD

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I am not convinced that there are sufficient amounts of chloramine once it actually makes it out of the tap to have a negative effect.

Howstar

Howstar

Here is the scoop about chlorine. Before 1956, chlorine had to be added to swimming pools every day because sunlight would destroy or degrade the chlorine in the water very fast. It was learned around the same time that chlorine in pool water where it was exposed to intense summer time sunlight will degrade by 90 to 95% in just two hours. It was discovered that the half life of chlorine in water is just under one hour and that it is the UV part of the sunlight that destroys the chlorine.

Dodge

Dodge

I am not convinced that there are sufficient amounts of chloramine once it actually makes it out of the tap to have a negative effect.

I agree. Tap water is not antibacterial. Get a gallon of water from the tap and let it sit for a day. We all know said water will readily host micro life given air and sugar.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

I agree. Tap water is not antibacterial. Get a gallon of water from the tap and let it sit for a day. We all know said water will readily host micro life given air and sugar.

Actually chloramine doesn't just evaporate out like chlorine, it is bonded with a ammonia so that it does not. It is very hard to remove chloramine from water by design. The reason I am bring this question up is because I want to find the best way to make caps tea's, I know tap water will host the bacteria but is it the just as good as using water that has be treated? Just because something works doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do it. The good thing about chloramine is that it is not nearly as effective as chlorine, so really I may just be beating a dead horse....

Dodge

Dodge

Actually chloramine doesn't just evaporate out like chlorine, it is bonded with a ammonia so that it does not. It is very hard to remove chloramine from water by design. The reason I am bring this question up is because I want to find the best way to make caps tea's, I know tap water will host the bacteria but is it the just as good as using water that has be treated? Just because something works doesn't mean there isn't a better way to do it. The good thing about chloramine is that it is not nearly as effective as chlorine, so really I may just be beating a dead horse....

You are very right Lord D... things can always be improved and just because something works doesn't mean there is not a better way to do it. I aint hatin.' I read the link you put up about chloramine from the start. I posted because I just wanted to reassure folks that there is no need to worry if they cannot remove chloramine from the tap water. From what you posted (which i had no idea about until i read) it sounds difficult or expensive for regular joes to remove chloramine from tap water, and because of that I think you are right and we may find it not worth worrying about at this point.

S

shavits

I use one of these!

Its supposed to effectively remove 85% of free chlorine from tap water! I'm not sure if it works with chloraminre but I will be aerating my water for 24hrs before use as an added measure! I noticed using water treating chemicals raised ph a lot! Just my 2 cents I hope it helps! Also this filter does not remove calcium like RO filters!

M.S.T.

M.S.T.

I have been researching this one as well. I emailed H&G about the bennys in roots excel and tap water, because I have read their entire line is based on tap water use. This is what they said.

Eliab Lozada [email protected]
Mar 22 (4 days ag0)
Potable water is treated with either chlorine or chloramines to keep it sanitary and drinkable, because the chlorine / chloramines kill microbes that can result harmful or fatal for us.
Some of our additives contain beneficial microbes in them. The chlorine or chloramine in the water will kill them! It is, therefore a good idea to aerate the water for a couple of hours before mixing in nutrients and additives--aeration helps dissipate the chlorine from the water, but not the chloramines! Chloramines will have to be removed with either a dechlorinator filter or a reverse osmosis system.I doubt your water has chloramines, but it always pays to ask your local water supplier.
Hope this helped!
Eliab Lozada
House & Garden Nutrients
Sales Representative
Technical Support

This being said, my tap is 7oppm and I let it sit if I can. Watch out for additives because many use salt to remove chlorine. Nobody wants extra salt.

I use one of these!

Its supposed to effectively remove 85% of free chlorine from tap water! I'm not sure if it works with chloraminre but I will be aerating my water for 24hrs before use as an added measure! I noticed using water treating chemicals raised ph a lot! Just my 2 cents I hope it helps!

I have been to the rainshow 'r website. I like the sound of The Green Knight hydro dechlorinating inline hose filter and may try it out.
There you have my two cents.

Reactions: mal
LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

I called my local water company and was informed that most water companies in major metropolitan areas do treat the water with chloramine and that others will probably follow suit eventually. Best bet is to call you water company and find out. I have read that adding humic acid at a rate of 1 tsp per 100 gallon will neutralize chloramines depending of the concentration of the chloramine.

Here is one article I read that explains the effects of chloramine on plants and soil.

Chloramines make the water acidic which over time can change soil pH. This may result in nutrient tie-up and create yellowing (chlorosis) problems in many plants. Chloramines prevent the absorption of other nutrients which also may lead to yellowing.

The action of chlorine and chloramines kill bacteria both good and bad. Many good bacteria that live in the soil control fungal diseases. When we lose these good bacteria there is no natural control and turf grass diseases like "Brown Patch, Take All and St. Augustine Decline" become rampant. In other words the more one waters, the greater the chance that one will experience disease problems in their grass and other plants.

Chlorine and chloramines kill the nitrifying bacteria that fix nitrogen from the air into the soil. Hence additional nitrogen must be supplied to the plants to replace the loss of free nitrogen from nature.
Container plants (hanging baskets, pots, etc.) are more susceptible to damage from chloramines as they tend to require more watering.

Studies have shown that chloramines hurt the germination of seeds from many species of plants.

Chloramine is neutralized in the soil by reactions with organic matter, destroying it in the process. Organic matter in the form of humus can hold 15 times its weight in water, hence the soil loses some of its ability to hold and store water.

Chloramine hurts the production of compost tea as it kills off some of the microbial species that one is trying to grow to high densities. Note: One teaspoon of humic acid (liquid form of humate) can neutralize the chloramines in 100 gallons of water depending on the exact concentration of chloramines.

Note: When chloramines is coupled with chlorine and fluoride the combined negative effects on plant and soil health is much greater.

The last paragraph is what really concerns me the most which bacteria is dying? Is it the ones that kill gnats, aphids, and fungus or is it the nitrogen fixers? Who knows and unless you have some soft of laboratory it would be pretty hard to find out. If your okay with watering down your tea's you might as well just use great white!!!! LOL jk caps products are the best out there and I wouldn't use anything else!!!!!

What I am thinking is I will just go with the humic acid method of removal, especially since I have a full gallon of it from A-1 nutes. I hope this is help full to other gardeners out there. After reading all articles I am not even sure chloramine is safe humans, there is a long list of problems it causes for us.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Sounds like humic acid for the win LD.

Many of the products in the packs are fungi and not bacteria. I am not sure if the fungi are inhibited by chloramine. I really need to get a microscope.

F

FTWx561

HydroFarm makes a sediment filter called the TallBoy. They also sell a direct replacement filter for that unit that is specifically for removing chloramine. It is called a catalytic charcoal filter or something close to that. I don't use one so I can't speak for its quality.

Top Bottom