Safety:food-grade-hoses Or Just Plain Garden-reg-hoses?

• Thread starter Burned Haze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Burned Haze

Well is it required to buy a food grade hose or will you contaminate your rez/plants to use a normal " garden hose" that states lead free & aluminum ? I googled it and got a little of both responses & wanted to see what everyone is thinking/knowing on such a important subject . My 50ft hose is annoying me in my grow circle and wanted to upgrade to a 100ft ( don't want to buy poison again if thats the answer)

I've been using non-food grade hoses OD and going all ocd-anal on everything else ( god i'll feel stupid when i have a nice food-grade hose for my indoor grow)

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

:eek: I drink water from my garden hose!

Yup! Lots and lots of it.

I think you run into a problem in high heat, and leaving the hose full of water. I drain my hose after use, mainly because it grows algae. I wouldn't think just running water through a normal hose would be an issue. However, if your buying a new hose, why not buy a food grade hose? I always buy the food grade buckets. Same concept I guess.

I love my hose.
http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Manufa...rds=Legacy+Manufacturing+HFZWP5100+Water+Hose

MGRox

MGRox

http://ideas.time.com/2012/08/02/is-your-garden-hose-toxic/

"Hose fittings contain brass, an alloy that can contain up to 8% lead.".......
"Lead is also used as a stabilizer or pigment in the tube, especially in yellow and green hoses, which are practically ubiquitous."
"Newer hoses, purchased since 2007, when a lawsuit led by California required labeling on hoses, might be lead-free, although Consumer Reports testing in 2011 still found lead in new hoses."

"But no one has regulated BPA, an endocrine disruptor, out of garden hoses, although the FDA did recently ban it from sippy cups and baby bottles. The level of BPA in water from hoses can be up to 20 times higher than what the National Science Foundation considers safe. Then there are the endocrine disruptors. PVC (nicknamed “poison plastic”) hoses — most vinyl hoses — contain phthalates, used as plasticizers, which leach into hose water."

Possible contaminants in Garden hoses; Lead, BPA and Phthalates

If concerned search BPA Free Garden Hose (should also be Lead and Phthalate free).

B

Burned Haze

@^
Question is that by those kind of statements "20 times higher than what the National Science Foundation considers safe." I wonder what exaactly is " safe" to them. Is it bullshit safety or under-saftey on the standards cause a lot of industries are getting away with a lot of BS on the consumer.

& I think i'm going to buy the exact hose Bulldog recommended and owns ( thanks for the tip!)

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

They sell them in different lengths. I got a couple of the 100 footers. One I kept in tact, and the other I divided into two hoses. Works great.

MGRox

MGRox

Question is that by those kind of statements "20 times higher than what the National Science Foundation considers safe." I wonder what exaactly is " safe" to them. Is it bullshit safety or under-saftey on the standards cause a lot of industries are getting away with a lot of BS on the consumer.

I honestly have no clue. I'll try to get some time to sniff into this a bit. If I find something about this I'll reply back.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yup! Lots and lots of it.

I think you run into a problem in high heat, and leaving the hose full of water. I drain my hose after use, mainly because it grows algae. I wouldn't think just running water through a normal hose would be an issue. However, if your buying a new hose, why not buy a food grade hose? I always buy the food grade buckets. Same concept I guess.

I love my hose. http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Manufa...rds=Legacy+Manufacturing+HFZWP5100+Water+Hose
I drain because I've blown out too many hoses. Gah! :o

How much does that thing weigh??!! I've got a bunch of 100'rs, but good Lord, are they heavy. Another reason to drain the water from them.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

goodyear (continental) hoses have never failed me! Been using them since day 1, my dad used to buy the 1000ft rolls of goodyear hose for his greenhouses, almost every large nursery or greenhouse I've been in is using black rubber goodyears.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Love the goodyear hoses as well. Super quality. Good call @We Solidarity

@Seamaiden The hose is super light compared to a normal hose. Even lighter compared to a high quality rubber hose such as the goodyear hose. I would say the goodyear has it beat in durability, but my hose rubs against my gopher wire sharp edges and hasn't busted yet. Even if it did, the hose comes with a couple repair parts just in case. I have also left this hose on in the sun many times under pressure, and hasn't busted yet. I try not to, but I am a stoner.

I still remember years ago when I came home and saw my dog sprinting around in the back yard.......WTF! I could only see down the 4' path down the side of the house, and she was running circles and I could only see her for a fraction of that circle. I thought for sure she was getting attacked, or attacking something. I rushed down the side yard opening the gate to find my dog having the time of her life, running in the water from my hose that had busted from being in the sun for too long. It was pretty wet, so she must had been going for a while, lol. Loved that dog.

Top Bottom