Salt Index

• Thread starter Jalisco Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Jalisco Kid

I get a lot of questions on fertilizer. It is a question I really shy away from. I have given at one time a base I was using. A lot of people see the ratios I used and try to copy it. I see them later using salts I would have never used. People here need to learn that 100ppms of K are not equal. Some of these formulas I see would create a salt flow down my bottles.
NOT ALL SALTS DISSOLVE/BLEND THE SAME.
I hurt too much to do any typing but I would google it and look at university studies.
Suerte JK

The Kind Man

The Kind Man

I think what J.K. is trying to say is that there are different grades of fertilizer as well as salt indexes corresponding to each compound. The SI (Salt Index) of fertilizers tells you which fertilizer's are "saltier" than others and how it affects the osmotic pressure around the roots of the plant. It is based on Sodium Nitrate, which has an SI of 100. The lower the SI the less salt it leaves behind in the medium. Check this Ag Ext. website out it will help clarify things a little bit more http://bulletin.ipm.illinois.edu/article.php?id=1305

The Kind Man
| Scientia Ipsum Est Vox|
|Knowledge Itself Is Power|

Quantrill

Quantrill

I know what Salt index is, I even know how to calculate the Salt index for compound liquid fertilizer formulations.(though you should always double check my math)

I want to know what salts Jk would never use.

Or what salts he sees people using, that he would never use.

I want to know this, because I value JK's wisdom.

dankworth

dankworth

Dude I was young, I did it for the money.

Edit-been meaning to go through all my saved nute bottles from yesteryear and dissect ingredients. Been way too busy to nerd out on this for a while now. Kind of miss when I had the time for research.

Reactions: mal
pugliese63

pugliese63

this is why I pay for jugs.

Yea, I'd like to get into mixing my own but just don't have the time or space for the learning curve. I'm a Jack's Hydro man myself. But like Quantrill I'd be interested none the less in learning about desirable vs. the undesirable when JK is feeling better.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I know what Salt index is, I even know how to calculate the Salt index for compound liquid fertilizer formulations.(though you should always double check my math)

I want to know what salts Jk would never use.

Or what salts he sees people using, that he would never use.

I want to know this, because I value JK's wisdom.
bump?

Latest posts

Top Bottom