SAMSUNG LM281B Vs Samsung 301b

• Thread starter Realgrower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Realgrower420

Realgrower420

Which is better and why SAMSUNG LM281B Vs Samsung 301b and is it worth paying more ?

crossfader

crossfader

I've read somewhere on the net that LM301B and the LM301H are one and the same. Samsung says the "H" stands for Horticulture. Didn't say what the "B" stood for.✌️

C

Cone

This is way late which I apologise for. Apparently, there’s less than 2% difference between LM301B and LM301H. So you decide if it’s worth it? Personally, I think it’s a money-making gimmick for people who don’t know the difference & think Horticultural grade diodes are the dog's dangly bits

E

ET12SECOND

The real advantage to the H is that it has a protective coating. The difference in quality is minimal and for MOST growers they would not even tell the difference. Get the 301 and avoid the older less efficient and cheaper 281 The 281 are used when companies say we use Samsung diodes but dot clarify its the 281 then people think they are getting a comparable ligh for less $ when in reality they are getting a cheaper product at a lower cost. I build lights and will use either the B OR H depending on application. If you want the best reds look at the 351 from Samsung. There is a osram red that is supposedly better but I dont know anyone using them off hand. The difference in epistar, osram and Samsung reds are not all that much and any work quite well. The 351 are the most$

I

Its420anytime

Slight efficiency upgrade as mentioned.

Too many 301bs out there having successfull grows to say they are lower bin quality parts. Proof is in the pudding. Just ask your grow buddies.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

The difference is efficiency. It's minimal unless you're running a commercial op. I'd still go for the 301b's

281b
  • 0.5 W, 3 V mid power LED
  • Luminous Flux: 73 lm @ 150 mA
  • Luminous Efficacy: 165 lm/W
301b
  • 0.2 W, 3 V mid power LED
  • Luminous Flux: 38.8 lm @ 65 mA
  • Luminous Efficacy: 220 lm/W
The 301h uses an anti-sulfarization layer to keep sulfuric components in gas form from turning the internal silver electrode into Silver Sulfide which kills the circuit.

I

Its420anytime

The difference is efficiency. It's minimal unless you're running a commercial op. I'd still go for the 301b's

281b
301b
The 301h uses an anti-sulfarization layer to keep sulfuric components in gas form from turning the internal silver electrode into Silver Sulfide which kills the circuit.
Sorry, siver and copper at high temps tend to degrade, its just a coating used to protect, no sulfuric acid at all.

There are multiple types of 301bs thus multiple data sheets. As 301hs. Each rated different to some degree. Cri 70,80,and 90s. Each being a little more efficient. My hlg has twin 288 quantum boards with 301h cri 90.

281b
301b
The coating protects copper and silver soldered components from the sulfur used in fertilizers. Very corrosive to metals.
When posting data, it might help others to know that there are 3 types of samsung 301bs and 301hs.
They both have cri 70, cri80 and cri 90s. And each has a data sheet.
All testing done mentions about 5% efficiency b 2.92 umol and h 3.1 umol

The h series I believe also addressed some spectrum improvement.
The light is the most important buy and heart of the grow.
There is always a reason for biased testing. Who doesn't use the latest updated components? Why are they cheaper? Why are they expensive?
Visit other forums and read their light threads.

G

geemonty

And don't let that deter you from using "lesser diode" lights! Some of these companies are getting smart and using MUCH higher numbers of the lower-quality diodes to get their PPFD/W numbers up near the top.
MIGRO mentioned this HERE in a video I saw the other day. I have heard it other places too.

M

mannitu68

Which is better and why SAMSUNG LM281B Vs Samsung 301b and is it worth paying more ?
Depends. Is not that easy to answer as peope think. Forget that "165 vs 220" lumen/watt BS. First you need to bring every diode to the same current. There are LM281B+ top bins, that reach 200+ lumen per watt and there are 301s that dont. If you compare the best LM281B+ bin to the best LM301 bin, the LM301 puts out 13% more light.

You can find that out on yourself, play with the Samsung LED-component calculator. The less lumen/watt a LM281B+ bin/rank has, the better it reacts to lower current. The bottom ranks achieve +30% efficiency, if you bring the current from 150ma down to 50ma, therefore tripling the amount of diodes. Top LM281B bins or 301s only win 10-11%.

However, i would want to know the exact bin of a LM281B, before i go for it. Or a performance test from Migro or similar channels.
The cheap knockoff LM281B+ "quantum boards QB288", that are very popular on Amazon and Ali, use the LM281B+ SE rank with A2 voltage bin. They put out about 150 lumen/watt at 150ma/3000k. Not great, but they react pretty well to lower current.

M

mannitu68

MIGRO mentioned this HERE in a video I saw the other day. I have heard it other places too.
yeah, he mentioned it and its on the website. However, many ordered this lamps believing its got LM301s, because he said so in the live show where he presented this lamps. Im not quite sure what to think of it, the Aray 2 would literally be the only light on the whole market reaching 2.4 useable PPFD using Lm281B+. I would rate this lamp 5-10% less efficient to be honest. If it had an absurd amount of diodes yeah but it doesnt, just about 3.5 leds per watt. I have no idea whats going on there. I dont see these view Osrams 660nm making up for it. 2.4 PPFD is a highend-efficiency.

G

geemonty

yeah, he mentioned it and its on the website. However, many ordered this lamps believing its got LM301s, because he said so in the live show where he presented this lamps. Im not quite sure what to think of it, the Aray 2 would literally be the only light on the whole market reaching 2.4 useable PPFD using Lm281B+. I would rate this lamp 5-10% less efficient to be honest. If it had an absurd amount of diodes yeah but it doesnt, just about 3.5 leds per watt. I have no idea whats going on there. I dont see these view Osrams 660nm making up for it. 2.4 PPFD is a highend-efficiency.
No idea if he is reputable or not. I came across his video because I am looking to upgrade my small lights and after reading this thread I had recalled he said that.

M

mannitu68

No idea if he is reputable or not. I came across his video because I am looking to upgrade my small lights and after reading this thread I had recalled he said that.
hes very reputable. If you go by the results of his tests you cant go wrong. Its just his own lights that score a few percent higher than it makes sense to. Could be he uses the LM281B+ SK top bin. Its just that nobody else does. Hes got good deals for lights, especially the ones that are not his own. Maxsisun and Grow Light Science Lights. Great for people in EU.

I

Its420anytime

281s were replaced by newer Samsung diodes. 281 came out 2017, and the 301s replaced the 581s that were to replace the 281s. Go to Samsung. Com and read the data sheets, they have no reason to falsify their info. Also notice how many different 281 there are, more than one, then check out the 301b and 301h they each have 3 types, they don't have bins, they have 3 types cri 70. 80, 90s. Each alittle bettrr in efficiency. 90s are the highest in efficiency. You hear cri around COBs, or circuit on board some cobs are round because of the heat sink design and a "quantum board" is a circuit board. Both made for led installation. 281s are older, do they work as well, never had a light that used them. As for the 301h, it was coated due to the corrisiveness to components, the fertilizers used in the industry. Better than the b, small percentage, and i dont watch anybody selling something, they have their reasons for their testing. Only lights I know that use 3rd party testing is hlg, and I think they are great lights assembled in the USA 80% Chinese parts. parts.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Only lights I know that use 3rd party testing is hlg, and I think they are great lights assembled in the USA 80% Chinese parts. parts.

ChilLED and others post their 3rd party laboratory tested results.

ChilLED uses (same company HLG uses)
Image-Pasted-at-2020-12-30-12-45.png

8165 E Kaiser Blvd. Anaheim, CA 92808

They also both have some of the highest PPF efficacy rated lights at 3.20 (umol/joule)

ChilLEDs ULTRA series

HLGs Diablo Scoprion series

Last edited:
I

Its420anytime

Wholly cow thousands of lights out there.
I do know that I bolted from cali in 94, had water issues in 1980, wasn't allowed to wash you car, smokes and gas was twice yhe average price of the rest of the USA. you had to have 2 bedrooms for a baby by the age of 18 months. Didn't take an axe to hit me in the head.
So any testing done in cali beats most standards set. Cali sucked then and rolling blackouts, price of the watt at the meter, and fires. So glad we moved then.
Now I know two companies, still only recommend one.

Top Bottom