SAMSUNG LM281B Vs Samsung 301b

• Thread starter Realgrower420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Wholly cow thousands of lights out there.
I do know that I bolted from cali in 94, had water issues in 1980, wasn't allowed to wash you car, smokes and gas was twice yhe average price of the rest of the USA. you had to have 2 bedrooms for a baby by the age of 18 months. Didn't take an axe to hit me in the head.
So any testing done in cali beats most standards set. Cali sucked then and rolling blackouts, price of the watt at the meter, and fires. So glad we moved then.
Now I know two companies, still only recommend one.

Fluence, is another big player out of Austin, Texas. They do work with NASA and Dr. Bruce Bugbee.

Blackdog LED, California Lightworks, and others.

SSgrower

SSgrower

Austin's keeping it "Weird" & I am proud to be a Texan, thanks for the info on Fluence lighting,Cheers SS

I

Its420anytime

My son in law has worked in the clean room for 14 yrs on hwy 71, austin, because highest percent of their chips go to auto industry. He always felt like I looked down upon his lack of education, I did my 20, retired and then used my educational benefits to get degree. Sadly, he makes 100k a year hourly before shift bonus and only works half the week, 3 on 4 off and then 4 on 3 off, he was very wrong, I always bragged on him, they run 4 shifts and his was number 1, then he got a raise to take the worst production shift which is top 2 now. Lots of shift bonuses, and gift cards. To me, I'd loved that opportunity when I was young, chip fabrication didn't exist then. Smart guy, he earns his money and has the time enjoy it.

I

Its420anytime

I lived there when Matthew McConaughey had the cops show up due to disturbance call in Westlake hills, butt naked playing the bongos in his living room, bong on the table.

M

mannitu68

281s were replaced by newer Samsung diodes. 281 came out 2017, and the 301s replaced the 581s that were to replace the 281s. Go to Samsung. Com and read the data sheets, they have no reason to falsify their info. Also notice how many different 281 there are, more than one, then check out the 301b and 301h they each have 3 types, they don't have bins, they have 3 types cri 70. 80, 90s. Each alittle bettrr in efficiency. 90s are the highest in efficiency. You hear cri around COBs, or circuit on board some cobs are round because of the heat sink design and a "quantum board" is a circuit board. Both made for led installation. 281s are older, do they work as well, never had a light that used them. As for the 301h, it was coated due to the corrisiveness to components, the fertilizers used in the industry. Better than the b, small percentage, and i dont watch anybody selling something, they have their reasons for their testing. Only lights I know that use 3rd party testing is hlg, and I think they are great lights assembled in the USA 80% Chinese parts. parts.
ofc Lm301s has bins, why shouldnt they? they are binned both by voltage and relative flux output. And there are also more than 3 bins, its just that the LED component calculator doesnt show all. CRI doesnt have anything to do with bins, at least not with efficiency binning, it only refers to the degree that colours are shown in the way they look in daylight.

Also higher CRI does not mean its more efficient. High CRI means more umol/lumen, but at the same time lower lumen/watt.

What you put there together looks like my homework in 7th grade, that i made in the morning, last seat in the schoolbus, absolutley no clue and only 10 min time to read something and write a summary or an interpretaion about something. The result was ridicolous obviously, but just enough to not get a note for missed homework.

Last edited:
I

Its420anytime

As per samsungs web site, look at the data sheets. Your question about bins, why shouldn't they? Everything ha a location geez.
Can't play nice, don't play. I haven't been personally attacking you.

Lower bin top bin internet lingo, not industry speak, everything does have location . Read the data sheets, im not posting them, go read, do your homework and come back and post something informative vise attacking.

I

Its420anytime

Top bin, lower bin parts. It's like GM, Generally Motors, they must use lower bin parts to make GMC trucks as opposed to the top bin parts they use to make Chevrolet trucks. šŸ˜‰ if it isn't the parts, what seperates the two trucks, both owned by GM, I forgot, its the top, lower bin parts.

K

kcobain299

Top bin, lower bin parts. It's like GM, Generally Motors, they must use lower bin parts to make GMC trucks as opposed to the top bin parts they use to make Chevrolet trucks. šŸ˜‰ if it isn't the parts, what seperates the two trucks, both owned by GM, I forgot, its the top, lower bin parts.
I'm not sure you understand what binning means dude, no offence, no attack but maybe you should give "binning in led" a google, google has
no reason to falsify their documents.šŸ˜³loose cannon.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
the bin is > than the letter at the end of a 301

"In fact, it has been confirmed that the introduction of the LM301H only serves to differentiate the "horticulture" from the general lighting market. Technically, it is the same product. As shown in our tests, it is only the better binning that matters more. Special features such as increased sulphur resistance are also characteristics of both product types."

K

KenKenaf

301 are 15% more efficient than 281 and twice the price.

301B doesn't have anti sulfur coating and is rated in lumens.

Evo is a 435nm chip, vs 450 nm. 15-20% more light than standard 301. Not sure how that translates after the phosphors. Someone send me a 600 dollar meter and I'll measure.
20230210 203428

Evo have less red, so more 660 osram chips fill the void

SSgrower

SSgrower

Ok guy, this is what I was hoping would happen. I pose a ? and you guys help me along to the answer or "Promised Land" of a "free" LED light,Ha,Cheers SS

A

arthur_hydrostellar

Depends. Is not that easy to answer as peope think. Forget that "165 vs 220" lumen/watt BS. First you need to bring every diode to the same current. There are LM281B+ top bins, that reach 200+ lumen per watt and there are 301s that dont. If you compare the best LM281B+ bin to the best LM301 bin, the LM301 puts out 13% more light.

You can find that out on yourself, play with the Samsung LED-component calculator. The less lumen/watt a LM281B+ bin/rank has, the better it reacts to lower current. The bottom ranks achieve +30% efficiency, if you bring the current from 150ma down to 50ma, therefore tripling the amount of diodes. Top LM281B bins or 301s only win 10-11%.

However, i would want to know the exact bin of a LM281B, before i go for it. Or a performance test from Migro or similar channels.
The cheap knockoff LM281B+ "quantum boards QB288", that are very popular on Amazon and Ali, use the LM281B+ SE rank with A2 voltage bin. They put out about 150 lumen/watt at 150ma/3000k. Not great, but they react pretty well to lower current.

Hi guys,

It's interesting topic and there is another parameter forgotten, you cannot look only the 165 vs 220 lumen per watt, keep in mind one has a rated power of 0.2W (LM301) and one has a rated power of 0.5W (LM281B) , so ok it has a lower lumen per watt but you basically need 2 for 1W and you need 5 LM301 to make 1 watt , so to reach the same rated power you will actually need much more LM301.
So I'm not sure how the guy is calculating in the shared video but it's for sure that easy to compare. I guess that he's probably lower down the current on LM281b so that's why he put more leds as well, to then increase the lights as running it at a lower power will decrease lights but will increase lifespan.
I guess it requires more investigation into details about the behavior for different supplied current, the efficiency is higher with the LM no doubt but that will definitely not the best in term of cost / efficiency / power ratio.

Any comment on that ?

Last edited:
N

Newishgrower

Hi guys,

It's interesting topic and there is another parameter forgotten, you cannot look only the 165 vs 220 lumen per watt, keep in mind one has a rated power of 0.2W (LM301) and one has a rated power of 0.5W (LM281B) , so ok it has a lower lumen per watt but you basically need 2 for 1W and you need 5 LM301 to make 1 watt , so to reach the same rated power you will actually need much more LM301.
So I'm not sure how the guy is calculating in the shared video but it's for sure that easy to compare. I guess that he's probably lower down the current on LM281b so that's why he put more leds as well, to then increase the lights as running it at a lower power will decrease lights but will increase lifespan.
I guess it requires more investigation into details about the behavior for different supplied current, the efficiency is higher with the LM no doubt but that will definitely not the best in term of cost / efficiency / power ratio.

Any comment on that ?
Yup! I know the post is a few months old, but case in point, when tested by cocoforcannabis, the ViparSpectra XS1500 Pro (using LM281b diodes) put out 325 umols, whereas the VIparSpectra XS1500 (using LM301b diodes) put out 280 umols. The pro has a total of 450 diodes, while the XS1500 had 288 diodes. Both pull 150W. And the XS1500 has the superior Mean Well 150W driver (the pro has a Sosen driver.) I have both and the Sosen runs MUCH warmer, so it seems like the diode count is a major factor in the superior efficiency of the XS1500 Pro. Despite the superior performance of the Pro, the XS1500 (which is 2-3 years older) costs more, almost assuredly due to the diodes/driver expense.

Top Bottom