Sativa & indica finish times

• Thread starter Kennie_B
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kennie_B

If this is in the wrong section, mod please move it>

Hey I know this is a very generic question but can someone explain the difference in finishing times (& basic differences) between indica & sativa. I have read page after page & have came up with my conclusion but I just wanted to hear from the experienced farmers in their own words tell the difference between the two!

K

Kennie_B

Yea like I said up top I've read most of what there is to read on this site about the subject, just wanted to hear peoples opinion in THEIR own words.

S

scrapiron

FAQ is great for a complete newbie. Anyone with a grow or 2 under their belt must ask questions like this from time to time.... to stay on top of their game. FAQ can be very generalized information to a semi-experienced grower. I run into this problem alot.

There is nothing random and unconfirmed about a exp grower giving input to a semi-exp grower. That is what The Farm is all about!

Anyway, Good Luck Kennie

convex

convex

I can't see how anyone's opinion on the differences between Sativa and Indica could possibly deviate from the articles in the post provided.

If KB wishes further clarification or more info on any aspect of these known differences then by all means ask - but that was NOT the question.

K

Kennie_B

Jobo hey dick go troll somewhere else! I asked a simple question & like your MOM said if you aint got nothing nice to say dont say anything at all dick. JOBO man you should write a book about growing since your an old pro an all. And another thing scrapiron said these forums are here for us to learn not for you to be an ass to people you dont even know!

T

TheMiracle

lol no shit.. maybe he wants a broader explanation y so negative?

justbud

justbud

If this is in the wrong section, mod please move it>

Hey I know this is a very generic question but can someone explain the difference in finishing times (& basic differences) between indica & sativa. I have read page after page & have came up with my conclusion but I just wanted to hear from the experienced farmers in their own words tell the difference between the two!

sativa is long flower m8 and indica is short. thats it in short m8 goodluck

T

trichburner

If you want to hear from experience . In the midwest USA , a true sativa outdoors won't even begin to show flowers till mid-Sept. and won't even be halfway finished when the frost kills it . An Indica will be at least half way finished by mid-Sept .

The flowering on a true sativa is sporadic , forming and maturing clusters at a time while an Indica steadily increases it's bulk over a matter of a few weeks and matures almost all at once .

old.Ford

old.Ford

Hey Kenny B, Now that you have opened the door, I have really felt like a dumb-ass for a couple of questions I have had so it looks like this is the spot to get it off. What in the heck is Dank? After 3-5 grows I don't know flower times either. I have never been the scientific, log everything, step by step sort of guy. I let em grow until something tells me its time and I harvest. Its intuitive. Never the less when a breeder, who are the consummate scientists says X weeks to flower. What does it mean? I'm shopping for beans that state, indoor/outdoor, x weeks vegetative, x weeks flowering and any other helpful hints to the grower be he novice or the Ron Popiel of MJ. If I were selling a product I would want the outcome to be excellent for the purchaser/grower. So keep on asking the questions I know that now I will, and don't deal with the forum Nazis ...screw them! old.Ford

convex

convex

Nazi's seems a little harsh.

The question was what the difference was between sativa's and indica's for which links to an explanation were provided.

Seems trichburner is a bit intiutive ... he made the extension from "what are the differences between sat and indy" to "will a sativa finish in the midwest".

Certainly not a nazi - not a mind reader either.

S

SMOK3R

Good question... I get confused reading all of the stuff on the internet. Broad explainations sometimes just dont do the trick and thats why we (or at least I) join helpful sites like this.

The statement I found in the general FAQ section said:
"Indica plants are short, bushy, mature early, have more chlorophyll and less accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Indica strains have more chlorophyll than sativa they grow and mature faster.
Sativa plants are taller, take longer to mature, have less chlorophyll and more accessory pigments (accessory pigments protect the plant from excessive sunlight). As Sativa strains have less chlorophyll than Indica they take longer to grow, mature, and require more light.

Hybrid plants have a combination of both Indica and Sativa growth characteristics which are relative to strain ratio."

The last sentence made me question the statement from Dutch Passion regarding the Flo I am currently starting which states:

"Original Flo is a Sativa / Indica cross with very Sativa phenotypic characteristics that also matures very early. The large, tight, spear-shaped buds are made up of small, densely packed purple calyxes. The plants are taller and like to branch out. Indoors the buds are fully mature by the end of their sixth week. Flo is ideal for greenhouse production. The motivational high produced by Flo is quite unique."

Now I'm no expert, but 6 week flowering time seems very short for any plant to be mature. By reading the last sentence in the general FAQ I would make the assumption that the flowering time would be somewhere between 8-12ish weeks.

I guess maybe characteristics aren't always relative to strain ratio.

convex

convex

This is the wonders of a hybrid.

In this case a plant with sativa dominant expression in high, but with a fast indica flowering period.

K

Kennie_B

Dont be scared to be called a dumbass, if some dick gives you shit or keeps on defending what they said before- fuck em! There are some real people in here that will listen & answer (or at least try)!

T

trichburner

Nazi's seems a little harsh.

The question was what the difference was between sativa's and indica's for which links to an explanation were provided.

Seems trichburner is a bit intiutive ... he made the extension from "what are the differences between sat and indy" to "will a sativa finish in the midwest".

Certainly not a nazi - not a mind reader either.

Lol , I am kind of a bud nerd though , I read everything I can about the plant and absorb that info like a sponge .

I went back and divided up my first post . The second part of my first post more directly answers the origional question .

To be a little more specific , my experience posted above is from the upper midwest (above 38*N). Frost usually comes in anywhere from the last week of October to the second-third week of November . I'm silently cussing up and down for being on probation because this year , my area didn't get a killing frost till December .

From grows I've seen on the net over the years , there seems to be a cut-off point somewhere between 35*-36*N in the midwest where the first frost doesn't come until late November early December which would possibly allow someone to finish a tropical variety if they take some measures to shorten the flowering time .

It is possible to shorten the flowering time of sativas by rootbinding them (This is stressing the plant so it is possible to induce late herms by doing this).

Obviously , the big difference is length of flowering time . This is in part due to the sativa being acclimatized to a region that has very little variation in daylength throughout the year , almost constantly staying near a 12/12 light regimen . It is not too uncummon to hear of plants near the equator growing and producing flowers for well over a year . These plants will continue to produce flowers and never truly mature until they starve themselves to death . Starvation is really how rootbinding sativas in more northern climates works . Once they use up their food , they can't produce anymore .

convex

convex

Tarping is also widely used to hasten ripening on northern grown sativa's.
Covering the canopy late in the day to allow 12 hours 'dark' period.
Not necessarily practical on a large scale but for the backyard gardener it can be bountiful.

Cheers

S

SMOK3R

If indeed any given hybrid shows these traits then it makes the general F&Q null and void.

From the general FaQ one couldn't make the assumption that:

"a combination of both Indica and Sativa growth characteristics which are relative to strain ratio."

when hybrids don't follow suit.

Not to rock the boat, or make noise, rather I am just trying to find facts sir.

If you can adopt a trait then isolate it. You can't say it's traits are relative to the % S/I if that is not the case.

That is all.

All love,

- SMOK3R

convex

convex

I am not sure what you are trying to state here.

"a combination of both Indica and Sativa growth characteristics which are relative to strain ratio."

This statement is valid for any hybrid, the resulting offspring will be a recombination of each parent. The dominance of either parental or any desirable trait, while largely unpredicatable, can be measured in percentage.

If you can adopt a trait then isolate it. You can't say it's traits are relative to the % S/I if that is not the case.

Once a trait is isolated and then bred for, you start working the line and move towards stabalization and inbreeding and further from the original hybrid.

Wiki: hybrid (biology)

Depending on the parents, there are a number of different types of hybrids;[6]

Single cross hybrids - result from the cross between two true breeding organisms and produces an F1 generation called an F1 hybrid (F1 is short for Filial 1, meaning "first offspring). The cross between two different homozygous lines produces an F1 hybrid that is heterozygous; having two alleles, one contributed by each parent and typically one is dominant and the other recessive. The F1 generation is also phenotypically homogeneous, producing offspring that are all similar to each other.

Double cross hybrids - result from the cross between two different F1 hybrids.[7]

Three-way cross hybrids - result from the cross between one parent that is an F1 hybrid and the other is from an inbred line.[8]

Triple cross hybrids - result from the crossing of two different three-way cross hybrids.

Population hybrids - result from the crossing of plants or animals in a population with another population. These include crosses between organisms such as interspecific hybrids or crosses between different races.

If you feel the FAQ is misleading or incomplete, Logic provides submission and suggestion threads. Perhaps you would consider rewriting or ammending the article and submitting it for review?

Cheers

Top Bottom