Saving Shatter Sprayed With Vac Pump Oil?

• Thread starter MI.Woody
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MI.Woody

MI.Woody

So I didn't close the vac hose valve before opening the air valve, seeing a mist of oil as the lid came off and a tablespoon or so of vac oil on the shatter. Insert every curse word known to man. I cant imagine there is a way to save it. Also wondering if a 2 stage vac pump will stop that? Link to a good how to?

REDiJEDi160

REDiJEDi160

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure the dual stage pumps will do the same at least mine explicitly stated to close the hose valve first

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I would hit up @Graywolf

I remember yrs back this happening, but don't remember where I read it. Iirc, op was sol.

Dunge

Dunge

Consider this.
Freeze it and scrape off the pump oil.
Might even be able to see it under proper lighting.
Finish with a alcohol swabbing.
So long as it hasn't dissolve into your shatter, there is hope.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I would hit up @Graywolf

I remember yrs back this happening, but don't remember where I read it. Iirc, op was sol.
It's a mineral oil, which I've had limited luck with, so let me check with Pharmer Joe and get back to you on final polishing.

I've back flowed extractions before, but none so big that I couldn't just toss them. I did experiment with a larger sample a friend wrecked and couldn't afford to toss.

What I did to get rid of most of it, was dissolve it in about 10 volumes of ethanol, and then filtering through a pre-soaked activated charcoal filter, followed by adding the same volume of saturated saline water, and the same volume of Hexane.

I shook well and then let separate, before bleeding off most of the saline water and alcohol, leaving the emulsion layer.

I added more saline solution shook, let settle, and bled off again, repeating until the saline solution remained clear.

I then bled off any remaining emulsion layer and removed the hexane by forced air evaporation.

My friend finished it off in his vacuum oven at about 115F and about 10K microns/-29.5" Hg and it covered his personal use until his next harvest, but it was relatively monoterpene free as well, so not big on flavor and aroma.

If monoterpene free isn't an issue, another possibility is to simply winterize it and use a short path to separate the fractions.

Top Bottom