Are plant yields limited by grams per watt

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Tylerm1712

Tylerm1712

So is it true that It doesn't matter how many plants u put in a space your limited to gram per watt at it's best.
So if I have 7 plants under a 650w mars hydro bar style light and let's say on avarage there 100grams a plant i add another 2 plants would they just steal usuable par/photosynthesis from the other 7plants or could i expect 900grams overall

Tylerm1712

Tylerm1712

Sort of. It's more complicated than that, but it often seems so.
So would you say prob only way to effect $ per sqft would be raising temp, nutes and co2. Besides that it could always be worse but never really better then the avarage gram per watt. I'm just wondering if adding more plants with out more light to my tent... since I have space will increase my over all yield or will it just take away from the other plants.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So would you say prob only way to effect $ per sqft would be raising temp, nutes and co2. Besides that it could always be worse but never really better then the avarage gram per watt. I'm just wondering if adding more plants with out more light to my tent... since I have space will increase my over all yield or will it just take away from the other plants.
Yes. There are variables but all else being set correctly, light is the main factor.

You are only producing X amount of photonic energy. The plants will absorb all they can, but how do you redirect lost photons?In a tent, it's reflective and that helps a lot but its still not perfect. The more light you can give without burning or stressing the plants will work toward your yield. to a point. Saturation calls for additional space for more plants.

Tylerm1712

Tylerm1712

Yes. There are variables but all else being set correctly, light is the main factor.

You are only producing X amount of photonic energy. The plants will absorb all they can, but how do you redirect lost photons?In a tent, it's reflective and that helps a lot but its still not perfect. The more light you can give without burning or stressing the plants will work toward your yield. to a point. Saturation calls for additional space for more plants.
I wish I had a meter, might have to get one. So at what number would you say ur wasting ur time or pointless. Anything under 1000m/mols at the canopy isnt worth the product. So if the opposite corner of my tent is only receiving 300m/mols is it worth throwing a pot there.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I wish I had a meter, might have to get one. So at what number would you say ur wasting ur time or pointless. Anything under 1000m/mols at the canopy isnt worth the product. So if the opposite corner of my tent is only receiving 300m/mols is it worth throwing a pot there.
It will still grow, just not as robustly. We have 4 plants in a 4x4 and a 2x4. When you train and top, you will have more than enough bud sites. It's how much light can you put down evenly on them. Our tents have 2 of each light so that we fill the tent and we can use less power and still have more light.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you have fully utilized the lighted area, adding plants aren't going to help, BUT if you have room to add plants, maybe you haven't fully utilized the lighted area.

A full tent, by any means necessary!

JJS009

JJS009

Watts don’t mean shit for yield, all watts tell you is the amount of power being used, it doesn’t tell you how much light you are getting for the power used. Unplug the driver off your light and measure how many watts it pulls without making any light at all.

if you have openings in the canopy where 2 more plants will fit without crowding others out you may be able to increase your yield for the whole tent if all else is in line. Plants don’t have watt meters built in

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I like to have too much light. I use a 1000w hids for a 4*4. Im hydro and my growth wild. I'd say the most important factor on yield would be what your growing it in. If we assume everything is perfect for the plants and two systems are designed the same, the hydro systems will give more gpw than the soil systems. Then the active hydro systems will give more gpw than the passive hydro systems.

So if your leaf Temps are 77, and you have good light coverage, it boils down to how your feeding it and what the roots are sitting in.

Give me another year and I'll have some side by side comparisons on YouTube to help people understand.

But I would say to start by maximizing your light. Theres no reason to put an aero system in a 4x4 with a 300w light lol..

If you want stupid fast results with hard to solve problems go active hydro. If you want fast results with easy to fix issues go passive. If you just want to understand soil and outdoor gardening, and be like 90% of growers.. Go soil.. It's far less complex... Which means easier.

To each their own too. Like I can't knock any method. There is always a very good reason to pick any grow method. Yet just remember, if your new.. Don't tie yourself to any grow method. Keep switching it up and find what's best for you.

growsince79

growsince79

Who says you need 1000ppfd to grow good buds? My buds never get anywhere close to that. This was around 600ppfd

bighempn

bighempn

So is it true that It doesn't matter how many plants u put in a space your limited to gram per watt at it's best.
So if I have 7 plants under a 650w mars hydro bar style light and let's say on avarage there 100grams a plant i add another 2 plants would they just steal usuable par/photosynthesis from the other 7plants or could i expect 900grams overall
I’d say square canopy ft and wattage play the biggest role and are the general rule of thumb here, at least in my experience. I run 4 dbl end hps lights and used to run 34 plants and usually do about 2-2.5lbs per light. My latest grow, I added four small LEDs (150w each or 600 watts extra) in the middle of the room where the DEs over lap and added an extra row of 5 plants so 39 total and I did a little over 12.5lbs. Same canopy size, just 600 watts more and 5 more plants and I also flipped them smaller so there was a lot less larf at the bottom.

Top Bottom