SB 1449! Demand the Governator Do Something BEFORE He Leaves Office!

• Thread starter TokinPodPilot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TokinPodPilot

Plain and simple, SB 1449 drops the current misdemeanor charge for simple possession of an ounce or less of cannabis to a civil infraction with a maximum fine of $100.

Please visit the California NORML page and click the link to send Gov. Schwarzenegger an e-mail asking him to sign this decriminalization measure into law.

link to text of the bill here

Prop. 19 may or may not happen on Nov. 2. This CAN happen tomorrow.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You've got it! AND I'm contacting whoever replaced Dave Cox as my state senator. One thing, though, send your own letter, don't send a form letter. It really does make a difference.

G

goleboy

What sea maiden said. Definitely spice up your own letter, makes a huge difference in their eyes because they see mass emails all of the same thing, so short but sweet ones catch their eye real quick.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

$100 is bullshit. Why so much? So the government can get rich off unfairly taxing stoners? That's ridiculous. How about .50 cents?

Just say NO to SB 1449! Let's hold out to 2012 for a better version of this bill w/ a .50 cent fine. LOL

T

TokinPodPilot

$100 is bullshit. Why so much? So the government can get rich off unfairly taxing stoners? That's ridiculous. How about .50 cents?

Just say NO to SB 1449! Let's hold out to 2012 for a better version of this bill w/ a .50 cent fine. LOL

This comment speaks for itself. Prop. 19 proponents are getting desperate for attention.

F

fiftythree33

$100 fine != decriminalization

*edit not from Cali either :)

T

TokinPodPilot

$100 fine != decriminalization

*edit not from Cali either :)

Reduction from misdemeanor to infraction is.

If you're primary concern is a simple $100 fine, let me remind you the alternative in many other states is jail.

On to less petty news, Governor Schwarzenegger has signed SB 1449 into law in the final hours of his legislative authority.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, California.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Smoke up CA! I smoked a j today downtown on top a parking garge. Awesome!! We should have a flashmob in the valley - all meet up on top of some parking structure & all spark up!

This comment speaks for itself. Prop. 19 proponents are getting desperate for attention.

It's called satire. What it is, is an analogy for your prop 19 argument: Objecting to a bill because it's not perfect, even though it helps move the ball toward the goal line (end to federal prohibition). Get it? IMO, $0.50 fine would be just perfect.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

In all seriousness though, it's a great day for California. Congrats to us all!

Although Arnie always passed on these types of bill in the past, apparently he's seen the writing on the wall. And now that it has been signed, we'll see what the analysts say, whether or not this mitigates the need for prop 19. Yeah, I'm high right now, but later this week I won't be - LOL :-) and at that time I will reflect on my my own position.

Thanks Arnie!!! Mr. F'n Universe!

T

TokinPodPilot

It's called satire. What it is, is an analogy for your prop 19 argument: Objecting to a bill because it's not perfect, even though it helps move the ball toward the goal line (end to federal prohibition). Get it? IMO, $0.50 fine would be just perfect.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

Explaining it doesn't make it any funnier or more clever, simply more pathetic because you still think it's funny and sad because you're under the mistaken impression that Prop. 19 does anything at the federal level. I'm not against Prop. 19 because it's slightly imperfect. I'm voting against it because it's a rubbish law altogether. We don't need more laws and regulations, we're doing fine getting rid of the ones we already have.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Reduction from misdemeanor to infraction is.

If you're primary concern is a simple $100 fine, let me remind you the alternative in many other states is jail.

On to less petty news, Governor Schwarzenegger has signed SB 1449 into law in the final hours of his legislative authority.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, California.
The fine is probably set at $100 because that's the limit state law places on fines for infractions. It's what makes the actions of Oakland CEDA so incredibly egregious.

J

Jimithing76

The prop 19 peeps are doing whatever they can to get this thing to pass! They are actually harassing people on Facebook that are voting no! I received a bunch of harassing messages on Facebook just because I belong to the no on 19 site trying to change my mind. WTF? I totally agree with you!

J

Jimithing76

Explaining it doesn't make it any funnier or more clever, simply more pathetic because you still think it's funny and sad because you're under the mistaken impression that Prop. 19 does anything at the federal level. I'm not against Prop. 19 because it's slightly imperfect. I'm voting against it because it's a rubbish law altogether. We don't need more laws and regulations, we're doing fine getting rid of the ones we already have.

I think it is absolutely hilarious that these yes on 19 peeps think that $100 fine is too much! Well, then how much is it going to cost to get a license to grow if this shitty prop goes though! Oh, and how much are the growers, and non-profit collectives going to have to pay in taxes?!?! Oh, and even under prop 19 if you aren't a medical patient you can still only have an oz. and it is still a misdemeanor! With SB 1449 it isn't even considered a misdemeanor anymore! If prop 19 does go though it will make SB 1449 null and void! At least that's what I have been reading. NO on 19!

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I think it is absolutely hilarious that these yes on 19 peeps think that $100 fine is too much! Well, then how much is it going to cost to get a license to grow if this shitty prop goes though! Oh, and how much are the growers, and non-profit collectives going to have to pay in taxes?!?! Oh, and even under prop 19 if you aren't a medical patient you can still only have an oz. and it is still a misdemeanor! With SB 1449 it isn't even considered a misdemeanor anymore! If prop 19 does go though it will make SB 1449 null and void! At least that's what I have been reading. NO on 19!

Ever rolled thru a stop sign? That $100 ticket turns into $271 because of the 170% tax added by the court. The $100 is a "Base" fine - that means before court fees & taxes. I wish you guys would ACTUALLY READ the legislation for once.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
the max fine is already 100 bux for possesion, but like Darth said the courts tack on costs - where I live it ends up being 300 bux

420king-MASSES

ive posted this in the decriminilazation thread also but becareful make sure you guys can add stuff like municipalities not being able to levy there own infraction charge on top of the original fine they got us in mass from one town making commercial grow opps of lowest priority and some towns throwing a lev y up to 4xs the states original fine becareful california its just away for them to demoralize the cannabis cultures

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They can. Just look at the cel phone law here in Cali. Supposed to start out at $20 for the first infraction, I've spoken with several people whose first infractions cost them several hundred.

That said, I'm kind of glad because I've had too many close calls while riding due to people yappin' on their cel phones (super dangerous where I live).

Top Bottom