Sb 5052 - What The Hell Just Happened?

• Thread starter tweedy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tweedy

tweedy

I cannot believe this garbage passed. I am Johnny Appleseeding the shit out of this place and moving states. Fuck anyone and everyone who had anything to do with this bill. Dropping 15 plants to 6, 24 ounces to 8, patient database, the list goes on and on.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2015&bill=5052

Again, if you have not read this and you are a patient in WA, do it, have a moment of silence for everyone who will suffer for their greed, and never vote for any of these fucking dickheads again.

tweedy

tweedy

They actually have a part in it where everyone regardless of their physical condition must put in labor into a collective garden. Ever see someone with MS try and lift even a gallon container, let alone a 5 to 15 gallon? Ever seen a quadraplegic try and hold a watering can? Fucking infuriating that they would put someone through this. Quite frankly I have never been more angry with lawmakers in this state and I have seen a lot of bullshit catering to special interest groups with Boeing, Weyerhauser, etc.

Myco

Myco

So that gives many of us one of four options:

1. Conform.
2. Move.
3. Sign up with I-502 and sell your soul.
4. Go rogue.

Then folks with extremely debilitating or terminal medical conditions on very tight budgets are left with one option.

1. Take a swift, heartless, uncompassionate fucking from WA state and greedy cunts (502 licensees) that endorsed this madness.

Mind = blown.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

least your going through it all now . if history is anything to go buy , we i n Aus will be doing this in 5 yrs lol. There is no way the power companies will allow the gov to not give them the lions share . Look at the middle east conflict . If the money spent on fighting over there was used to research a new fuel source i reckon we'd have no need for the arabs oil . hemp bio diesel . ( all repect to anyone who has fought served over there ) But then what would the poor petrol companies do ? Answer ??????? who fucking knows but our legal and political systems that r now dinosaurs and dont adequately reflect the average joe's morality and needs . i mean who honestly thinks our representatives (roflmao) Actually represent our interest ? To busy with party politics plus taking care of contributors. Revolution anyone ?

tweedy

tweedy

Hmm... I'm not sure this is set in stone yet fellas.

Doesn't it have to pass the house then go through the governer?

I'm far from a politics expert but, from people I've talked to, this isn't a done deal atm.
One can hope it does not, I am just fearful that there is enough cash to twist arms where necessary, including the governor. If it passed that well in the senate then I have little hope it won't just slide all the way through.

Myco

Myco

Agreed @tweedy

The similar bill last year, can't remember what it was called... didn't it fail in the house? I don't remember any of the specifics...

seaslug

seaslug

[TheJointBlog.com Feb 17, 2015]

Washington State’s Senate Commerce and Labor Committee has given unanimous approval toSenate Bill 5519, a proposal to legalize cannabis cultivation for everyone 21 and older, while shutting down dispensaries and reducing the amount of cannabis a patient can possess and cultivate.

Senate Bill 5519 would combine the medical and recreational cannabis systems by phasing out collective gardens and dispensaries beginning summer, 2016. To accomodate these closures, theLiquor Control Board – which would be renamed the Liquor and Cannabis Board – would be directed to increase the number of licensed cannabis retail outlets, with these outlets given the opportunity to apply for a medical cannabis endorsement indicating that they’re knowledgeable in the use of medical cannabis (employees would be required to attend a Department of Health-approved class to receive the endorsement).

Qualified patients would be given the opportunity to apply for a waiver to receive cannabis tax-free, with low-THC cannabis products being tax-free without a waiver.

The proposal would legalize the personal cultivation of up to six cannabis plants for everyone 21 and older. The bill would simultaneously decrease the amount of plants a patient can cultivate from fifteen to six, though they could apply for a waiver from theDepartment of Health to cultivate more. The amount of cannabis a patient can possess would be reduced from twenty four ounces, to three.

A similar proposal that wouldn’t legalize cannabis cultivation and would establish a mandatory patient registry - Senate Bill 5052 - has already been approved by the full Senate.

An alternative proposal was recently introduced – House Bill 2058 – which would provide defined arrest protection for patients without reducing possession limits, and would allow dispensaries to become legally licensed with the state.

TheJointBlog

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

6 plants 3 oz is that even possible . be bloody huge plants(sarcasm) roflmao

Tnelz

Tnelz

So I'm totally ignorant here. Curious is all. I'm in mass and we are on our way for sure. Is it 3oz or six plants? My question is can u only grow 3oz or have six plants as big as u can grow them. Sorry for sounding like a dope here but Jesus that could really suck.

seaslug

seaslug

All I've got is sarcasm . . . the WA state legislature is in session right now (during the winter--a throwback to when people farmed). Bills have to make it through the house and the senate and then signed by the governor, IIRC. Here is a "for sure": the current loosey-goosey WA mmj scene is being destroyed.

seaslug

seaslug

Update for SB 5052:

IN THE HOUSE
Feb 17 First reading, referred to Health Care & Wellness (Not Officially read and referred until adoption of Introduction report).
Mar 5 Scheduled for public hearing in the House Committee on Health Care & Wellness at 8:00 AM. (Subject to change) (Committee Materials)

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

The same thing is happening down here in OR. I'm always confused though when I hear people blaming it all on 'big' business interests. Most of the small ones are also happily putting cash into the legal and political system.

It's not natural free market capitalism causing this, it's crony capitalist governments who direct the whole game, through their monopoly on taxation and violence.

seaslug

seaslug

State House readies its version of pot-market overhaul
By GENE JOHNSON Associated Press Published: Mar 3, 2015 at 2:32 PM

SEATTLE (AP) - With the state Senate passing a bill to regulate medical marijuana, Washington's House of Representatives is preparing its own version of a pot-market overhaul, one that could cut prices at licensed recreational stores.

The measure, sponsored by Rep. Reuven Carlyle, aims to make the state's legal marijuana stores more competitive with the black market. It calls for eliminating the three-tier tax structure voters approved in Initiative 502 and replacing it with a single excise tax of 30 percent at the point of sale.

But Carlyle's bill would take effect only if the Senate's medical marijuana bill also becomes law. That's to encourage a coordinated approach to the recreational and medical systems, the Seattle Democrat said Tuesday.

"If a strong medical bill doesn't pass, my bill self-destructs," Carlyle said Tuesday. "We've got to do both, and we've got to do both right."

Washington's voters adopted a medical marijuana law in 1998. It allowed patients to grow their own or designate a caregiver to grow it for them, but the state has never had a regulated medical marijuana system. Commercial sales remain illegal except at licensed I-502 stores.

Dispensaries have nevertheless proliferated, and they have been largely tolerated by law enforcement. But pressure has been increasing to rein in the medical stores and direct recreational users into the new, heavily taxed system set up by I-502. Seattle officials say they plan enforcement actions against about two dozen medical dispensaries this month.

Many of the medical dispensaries insist that they're good actors, would welcome state oversight, already test their products for impurities, and pay taxes. But others don't, and prices at the medical shops remain lower than in legal stores.

"The legislature finds the implementation of Initiative Measure No. 502 has established a clearly disadvantaged regulated legal market with respect to prices and the ability to compete with the unregulated medical dispensary market and the illicit market," Carlyle's bill reads.

Under the measure, which faces a hearing Wednesday evening in the House Finance Committee, authorized medical marijuana patients would get a tax break: They would not have to pay the regular state sales tax, which is otherwise imposed on top of marijuana excise taxes.

To encourage more cities and counties to allow marijuana businesses, the bill would direct the state to share pot revenue with jurisdictions that do so. It would also them to adopt more flexible zoning for where pot grows and stores can be located.

Licensed pot businesses would be able to hire other companies to transport their product - currently they have to do it themselves - and the bill specifies that those companies would be allowed to have armed guards.

Last month, the Senate passed a bill, drafted by Sen. Ann Rivers, R-La Center, to reconcile the medical and recreational markets. Its first hearing in the House is on Thursday.

Among its many provisions, it would create a database of patients, who would be allowed to have more marijuana than recreational users and who could grow up to six plants at home - fewer than the 15 they're currently allowed.

The measure would crack down on collective gardens, leaving only four-patient "cooperatives" that would be limited to a maximum of 60 plants. The location of the collective would have to be registered with the state, and it couldn't be within 15 miles of a licensed pot retailer.

But it would also provide an avenue for existing collective gardens to stay in business, by requiring the state Liquor Control Board, which would be renamed the Liquor and Cannabis Board, to adopt a merit-based system for granting marijuana licenses. Among the factors that could be considered are whether the applicant previously operated a collective garden, had a business license or paid business taxes.

Rivers complimented Carlyle for his work.

"This is a huge task that he's undertaking," she said. "My colleagues on both sides of the aisle and both sides of the Rotunda recognize that we simply can't let this go."

seaslug

seaslug

"But Carlyle's bill would take effect only if the Senate's medical marijuana bill also becomes law. That's to encourage a coordinated approach to the recreational and medical systems, the Seattle Democrat said Tuesday."

[I can't think of a polite thing to say.]

Top Bottom