School Zones

• Thread starter BakedasBeans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Does anyone know if there is any kind of law in nevada that prohibits or limits a patients rights when: cultivating, possesing or consuming medical marijuana within "x" amount of feet from a school? I know you arent allowed to posses on a campus but unsure about off campus. I have been told that in some states your medical marijuana rights are pretty much useless within 1000 feet of a school but in others you are fine as long as you arent on school grounds. So I would greatly appreciat some clarification. Thanks!:harvest:

convex

convex

I have seen on some COPS shows stating a 1000 YARD buffer - thats over half a mile !?!

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

1000 yards!?! Thats just insane. I hope the medical laws still apply within that space cus if not I hear you do double time just for being within that radius if you arent a patient. Do you know if this applies for nevada?

convex

convex

No idea about Nevada MMJ regs ... perhaps NORML might have a breakdown for you.

Cheers

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

I checked them out and all they had were the basics..Plant count, weight ect. I also read through the actual bill on the nevada website and it didnt say anything about "within x anount of space from a school." It just said not on school grounds or in any public place(or a place that is viewable by the public). I think I am just gonna have to schedule a consultation with a lawer or something so I know for sure.

resinryder

resinryder

There are no restrictions on where or how far from a school you have to be. If you have your card you can grow next door to a school with no problems. The mmj law only says where you can't use, not where you can't grow. As long as you have your card you are safe. The 1000 foot rule comes in for those who grow "illegally". Hope that helps.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Under Cal. H & S 11362.79, qualified patients are not permitted to smoke medical marijuana under any of the following circumstances:
1. In any place where smoking is prohibited by law;
2. In or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, recreation center, or youth center, unless the medical use occurs within a residence;

you can smoke as long as its in your home

there are no provisions oddly for being able to grow (in or outdoors) within the same distance

however cali does have provisions or special circumstances re: growing, selling etc within 1000 ft of a school

so if your doing anything illegal you should really stay clear of school zones

S

SSHZ

School zone convictions come with manditory minimums so plan carefully.........

resinryder

resinryder

Under Cal. H & S 11362.79, qualified patients are not permitted to smoke medical marijuana under any of the following circumstances:
1. In any place where smoking is prohibited by law;
2. In or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, recreation center, or youth center, unless the medical use occurs within a residence;

you can smoke as long as its in your home

there are no provisions oddly for being able to grow (in or outdoors) within the same distance

however cali does have provisions or special circumstances re: growing, selling etc within 1000 ft of a school

so if your doing anything illegal you should really stay clear of school zones

With this being Nevada the Cali statue you cited does not apply. No restrictions to distances from schools here for mmj patients.. Non mmj users/grower tho do face special penalties if within 1000ft from school.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I blame it on the Evelyn Woods speed reading course

that and weed

:smiley_joint:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
With this being Nevada the Cali statue you cited does not apply. No restrictions to distances from schools here for mmj patients.. Non mmj users/grower tho do face special penalties if within 1000ft from school.
I'm not so sure about that, myself, I think you need to do more digging. Here's something I've come up with (giving the cached search term result).

Marijuana Laws in Nevada
Read the section entitled "What About Selling Marijuana To a Friend?" I think that the mere mention of cultivation being included with 'mandatory felony sentencing' would make me search a lot harder.

B

BoCo Buds

NRS 453.3345.
1. Unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 453.333 or 453.334, and except as otherwise provided in NRS 193.169, any person who violates NRS 453.321 or 453.322:
(a) On the grounds of a public or private school, a playground, public park, public swimming pool, recreational center for youths or a video arcade;
(b) On a campus of the Nevada System of Higher Education;
(c) Within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of such a school ground or campus, playground, park, pool, recreational center or arcade; or
(d) Within 1,000 feet of a school bus stop from 1 hour before school begins until 1 hour after school ends during scheduled school days,

must be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a term equal to and in addition to the term of imprisonment prescribed by statute for the crime. The sentence prescribed by this section runs consecutively with the sentence prescribed by statute for the crime.

This is the from the controlled substances section, not the MMj...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was doing like motherlode and looked in the health code.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Thanks for the responses everyone. Thanks for that info resinryder!

SM: I read that same page you posted and the one that BoCo posted as well. Those are both ones that got me looking a little harder. While I can find plenty of info on what happens when growing illegally within 1000 feet but nothing clarifies whether or not being a MMJ patient makes you exempt or not.

Resinryder: Do by chance have a link or something where you found that info?

resinryder

resinryder

When i first started in the NV mmj program I lived in close proximity to an elementary school as well did a friend of mine who has Muscular Dystrophy who lived even closer. Knowing what you are asking about I contacted the Dept of Aig, who oversaw the program at that time and asked them. They checked and called me back that afternoon. As long as you are a mmj patient in the state of Nevada, you can grow in your house, or your caregivers house anywhere. Be it miles from the nearest school or even if your property is right next door the same protections apply.
NOW, if you are a patient and make the jump from patient to a patient that starts selling his supply, then all the normal rules regarding growing and selling near a school will apply if caught.
Bottom line is if you are a patient, you are safe growing near a school.

BakedasBeans

BakedasBeans

Awesome! Thanks a lot resin! I thought of calling the program like you did but I didnt think they would answer my question since they could consider it "legal advise."

resinryder

resinryder

Lol, no problem man. That was during the 1st year of the program when there were a lot of questions being asked of them. Think the new group at the DoH would tell ya to call leo yourself, hehe

Top Bottom