Sciatica

• Thread starter az_curious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

az_curious

Anyone been approved for Sciatica. I'm debating on whether or not to even try to qualify. I have had sciatica for several years though have never really had any recent documentation. The last time I remember talking to a DR about it I was told to take Advil which doesn't do for shit. It surely chronic and certainly debilitating at times when you can barley bend over sit down or wipe your own ass.

D

Dignan

I was approved for sciatica essentially. I have piriformis syndrome, ie a muscle in my hip/buttock is damaged and spasms. In some people the sciatic nerve runs through or up against the piriformis and the muscle actually irritates the nerve.

Good luck with your treatment. Peace-

A

az_curious

Thanks Dignan

I'm gonna see my PCP again and have it documented when I pick up my records. I am thinking that it may be documented in my records from long ago. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. It's worth a shot since I have been self-medicating for all these years I may as well try and get legal.

D

Dignan

You're welcome. Keep in mind that technically your condition must have been documented within the last 24 months.

K

kolah

Be careful. Sciatica can sometimes lead to muscle atrophy or interfere with neural communication with visceral organs (bowel functions, digestion, etc).

This is where I sometimes question the use of MJ as there are times you do not want to just mask the symptoms. I think MJ can be beneficial for sciatica but one must be careful that he or she is not losing body functions or seeing a gradual loss of neurological function. Chiropractic, massage, physical therapy, acupuncture and many other alternatives are often helpful to relieve or reduce sciatica.

As a retired chiro, just my 2 cents.

A

az_curious

@kolah. Thanks for the advice. I have contemplated seeing a chiropractor. Its more than just sciatica as it effects my lower back and neck at times. It just feels like my whole back is out of whack and I think a trip to the chiro would help. I'm also gonna see my PCP and have the issue documented. I don't think taking 12 Advil a day is good for my liver and it doesn't keep the pain at bay either. I'm not down with taking a bunch of vicodin either. I don't like the way it makes me feel and Ive seen to many people get twisted on pills

D

Dignan

Good info ^.

In my case it's the piriformis muscle that spasms and irritates the sciatic nerve. Cannabis is part of my treatment regimen, but to be honest I have found that the most effective way for me to manage the injury and symptoms is YOGA and self-massage. Before I found yoga (17 years ago) I spent two years and thousands of dollars on other treatments for it... PT, chiro, electrostimulation, Graston therapy, rolfing, massage. Nothing was helping at all. After two yoga classes my symptoms were decreased by about 74%. It's been a godsend.

K

kolah

If everyone did Hatha Yoga on a daily basis there would be a helluva lot more folks pain free and feeling good.

A

az_curious

Exercise and stretching is a tremendous help. Even cardio at the gym makes it feel a whole lot better. I try to get to the gym at least 3-4 days week. I know my gym offers a couple of yoga classes a week which are included with my membership. I have to be honest though I'm over weight and yoga seems a little intimidating but I'm willing to give it a shot. My pain is the worst when I'm sitting and also at night it wakes me up I haven't had a decent night of sleep in months. Thanks for all the responses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom