Scorpion Juice knockoff

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Man this one took me a while....

Scorpion Juice uses chitosan, salicylic acid and Thiamine mononitrate (a form of vitamin B1)

Now for a 1 litre bottle....

2.5% Chitosan listed on label = 28.75 grams of 85% pure Chitosan

can be had here or elsewhere...
http://www.super-grow.biz/Chitosan.jsp

3% of Thiamine mononitrate = 30 grams
can be found here....
http://purebulk.com/thiamine-mononitrate-vit-b1

If you look up Vitamin B1, there are actually a few compounds that are listed that are B1. MOAB uses Thiamine hydrochloride as B1....so either of these should be perfectly safe alternatives to each other.

Salicylic Acid....same stuff as uncoated aspirin

this was a tough one as the ingredient is not listed BUT....I dug up 3 different studies that showed that chitosan and Salicylic acid together are the most potent way to boost the plants (any plants) own immune system to help with all forms of invaders. (fungal and pests)

All 3 studies showed a rate of .24 grams per gallon of salicylic acid to be the most effective for foliar spraying.
Since Scorpion Juice is listed at 20ml per gallon for foliar...that works out to
12.187 grams of Salicylic Acid per 1 litre of Scorpion Knockoff.

Salicylic acid is mearly...uncoated aspirin or can be found here...

So long and short is.... 1 Litre of Scorpion Juice knock off is

30 grams of Thiamine mononitrate 2.80
28.75 grams of 85% pure Chitosan 13.00
12.187 grams of salicylic acid 1.50
top up to 1L mark with distilled H2O

This will make a similar strength mixture to Scorpion Juice for only 17 bucks
Warning though....AN and many brands do not always put as much in their mixes as what they say....so start with less and build up

Just noticed that AN discontinued this....guess the profit margins were not there or not enough demand for it. Still there is the recipe for all you budding DIY'ers

dextr0

dextr0

Man this one took me a while....

Scorpion Juice uses chitosan, salicylic acid and Thiamine mononitrate (a form of vitamin B1)

Now for a 1 litre bottle....

2.5% Chitosan listed on label = 28.75 grams of 85% pure Chitosan

can be had here or elsewhere...
http://www.super-grow.biz/Chitosan.jsp

3% of Thiamine mononitrate = 30 grams
can be found here....
http://purebulk.com/thiamine-mononitrate-vit-b1

If you look up Vitamin B1, there are actually a few compounds that are listed that are B1. MOAB uses Thiamine hydrochloride as B1....so either of these should be perfectly safe alternatives to each other.

Salicylic Acid....same stuff as uncoated aspirin

this was a tough one as the ingredient is not listed BUT....I dug up 3 different studies that showed that chitosan and Salicylic acid together are the most potent way to boost the plants (any plants) own immune system to help with all forms of invaders. (fungal and pests)

All 3 studies showed a rate of .24 grams per gallon of salicylic acid to be the most effective for foliar spraying.
Since Scorpion Juice is listed at 20ml per gallon for foliar...that works out to
12.187 grams of Salicylic Acid per 1 litre of Scorpion Knockoff.

Salicylic acid is mearly...uncoated aspirin or can be found here...

So long and short is.... 1 Litre of Scorpion Juice knock off is

30 grams of Thiamine mononitrate 2.80
28.75 grams of 85% pure Chitosan 13.00
12.187 grams of salicylic acid 1.50
top up to 1L mark with distilled H2O

This will make a similar strength mixture to Scorpion Juice for only 17 bucks
Warning though....AN and many brands do not always put as much in their mixes as what they say....so start with less and build up

Just noticed that AN discontinued this....guess the profit margins were not there or not enough demand for it. Still there is the recipe for all you budding DIY'ers

Salicylic acid (from Latin salix, willow tree, from the bark of which the substance is obtained) is a monohydroxybenzoic acid, a type of phenolic acid and a beta hydroxy acid. This colorless crystalline organic acid is widely used in organic synthesis and functions as a plant hormone. It is derived from the metabolism of salicin.

Willow bark for salicylic acid bro. Simple method.

Crab or Shrimp meal will give u chitosan.

Brewers yeast will give u thiamine.

Thats a bad ass post bro. Tha mix im posting would be organic.

P

pikes peak 69

Nice post, Thank you.
Question, still use 20 ml per gallon? Also what is recommended period when to spray and when do you stop using?
Thanks again,
pp69

budboy299

budboy299

Both should be 20ml/gallon for foliar feed. I am guessing that it should be consistant across the board with their feed rates but like I mentioned...start lower and see what happens. Better safe than sorry.

No idea on the timing though Pikes Peak 69...but I will guess it is in Veg and possibly till mid flower.

quick shot of the label for you. Oh and if you go to the Greners website (UK I believe) it talks about salicylic acid in it, although it is not mentioned on the label.

ScorpionJuice LABEL 00 5300 15
B

Bobby Smith

I read on another site that the guy who runs the site to get the Chitosan from is never coming back from Asia, and even if he does that he's not going to reopen his website..........so does anyone know where to get Chitosan from that's not in diet pill form?

budboy299

budboy299

Bobby.....I had wondered why he was taking so long to get his site up and running again...he had some great stuff on there.

PP69...great link! Cost with shipping was 113.00 for 2.2 lbs (1 kilo)

budboy299

budboy299

Oh and so you all know....chitosan is pronounced Kite-o-san

Man did I feel dumb talking to the guy from federal labs trying to explain what I wanted and mispronouncing it!

B

Bobby Smith

Man did I feel dumb talking to the guy from federal labs trying to explain what I wanted and mispronouncing it!

LOL!!!

Never woulda guessed that one...........thank goodness it wasn't me on the phone :)

phenotyper

phenotyper

I used to pronounce chelate as chi-late instead of key-late. Live and learn.

budboy299

budboy299

hahaha me too phenotyper. Did that for so many years that its hard for me not to say it now.

budboy299

budboy299

Nice finds DexrO and MrBong. Organic growers will thank you for that!

budboy299

budboy299

ok....mixing time!

I mixed 28.75 grams of 85% pure chitosan with 5% acetic acid (white vinegar) to dissolve it. Just enough vinegar was used to make it all wet. (That tip was from the super-grow website) This formed into one ball of gooey paste. Hate to offend anyone but snot is the only word that even comes close to describing it. Added the chitosan ball to enough RO water in my blender to bring it to about the 950 ml mark.

hit blend and it was so thick that the mixture got to a super thick wallpaper paste consistancy. Too thick to actually blend thoroughly from top to bottom in the mixer.

I tried to warm the mixture up and it was still too thick to mix. Only way I could get it to mix evenly was to divide it in two and make a 2L bottle of 1/2 strength. Not a huge problem as you can just double up on the dosage.

Even with enough water to make 2L it has the consistancy of thick maple syrup.
I then threw in 3 grams of Vitamin B1 (thiamine hydrochloride) and mixed it up. That component was water soluable and mixed in easily.

Just waiting on the salicylic acid to arrive to complete the mix.

Will post the results (if any can be seen) at a later time on here. Not sure what I will see though as this is basically a preventative measure to boost the plants own immune systems.

I find it totally odd though that Advanced Nutrients and also General Hydroponics both had products containing 2.5% chitosan....and yet when I mix up the very same ratios, the mix would of been so thick as to be totally unpourable.
Either there is some gross miscalculation on my part as to what 2.5% of 1000 grams is.....or....they found a way to mix it so it became thin..or...there was never 2.5% of chitosan in their mixes.

Anyone of the 3 is possible I suppose......but very interesting

budboy299

budboy299

That is a nice product...I wanted the chitosan to be in there too. All the studies I looked at said that the combination of the two components seemed to work best.

for a salicylic product though....it is probably the only one anyone has ever shown me. good find!

H

H3AD_CAS3

Fwiw

Scorpion Juice was ditched by Advanced to create Bud Factor X. They added Harpin protein to act symbiotically with SA and Chitosan. The chemistry behind Harpin protein is solid, and in fact (Eden Bioscience) the company that developed the use of Harpin for the AG industry won a Green Chemistry Award in 2001 for this development.

Unfortunately, with the addition of Harpin and Bud Factor X came a jacked up price tag. I searched for months to find a reasonably priced source for Harpin to make my own Bud Factor X mix. Ultimately running into roadblock after roadblock. Needless to say I have resolved to buying "X" for simplicity sake. Luckily though I get it for a reasonable price and until I can find better price point for making my own I guess I am sort of stuck. :)

Top Bottom