Screen size recommendations for bricks vs temple balls

• Thread starter Intrepid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Intrepid

Greetings all. First time poster here. Now that my state has finally legalized weed I'm planning to start growing specifically for the purpose of making hash. I have fond memories of smoking good Moroccan, Lebanese and and Afghani back in the day and would like to produce something similar on my own. I've done a lot of reading on this subject and have decided to do dry sift instead of bubble hash to get a more traditional end result. The screen sizes people use are all over the board though. 90 or 75 micron screens seem to be popular choices for the final product, yet Frenchy himself said that 190 and 160 micron screens are all you need for making dry sift ("Use a 190 microns for a first sieve and if not clean enough sieve the resin first collected with a 160 microns screen").

This company makes nice screens and their prices are reasonable.

For a set of three 12' x 18" screens the default is 150, 120 and 75 microns but they offer all of the following sizes:

-180 micron
-150 micron
-120 micron
-104 micron
-75 micron
-50 micron

I'm interested in 1) pressing the kief into bricks and 2) making temple balls. To approximate Frenchy's recommendations I'm thinking of getting a 180 micron screen for cleaning and then refining with the 150 and 120. I would press the 120 sift but then use a 104 or 75 screen for temple balls. Because I'm leaning toward a more traditional product making full melt hash isn't important to me and I'd like to keep the yield as high as possible without sacrificing quality. Based on everything I've read you can press the 150 sift into bricks and make a nice temple ball with the 120 or 104 micron screen but it would be great to get some guidance from the more experienced members here.

Oh yes...here's the press I'm thinking of getting. Any thoughts?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
not sure where you got your advice from??
but i’d disagree with some of it,.
how much you plan on growing at a time?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
these are much better,. the largest size,..
IMG 1966

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Welcome! And have fun with your new soon to be obsession! I’m new at it also! for best results, listen to the man above! At least, as much as you can afford!😄

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok well i only make hashish or hash oil or both with my grows and im allowed 4 plants indoors,. so with that i think your pollen press is to big for your needs, a 3x2,. 2-4 ton press would be sufficient,..
either way buy larger screens,.
and your not gonna get that hashy taste from any modern breed weed,.
you’ll need to grow landraces for that,.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
if you like looking up info about dry sifting than you need to check out bubbleman’s website

I

Intrepid

Thanks for the reply. I'm also limited to 4 mature indoor plants by law. I'm planning to go with autoflowers and so far I haven't found any autoflowering landrace strains, like a nice red Lebanese. I imagine that auto Hindu kush would be close to what I remember. Honestly the last real hash I had was in Amsterdam in 2018, so it's been a while. Sitka makes a nice hash but I can only get that when I travel to WA. One nice thing about making hash is the ability to create custom blends. For example, it would be interesting to combine the kief from Hindu Kush and CBD kush to create a somewhat traditional hash which is high in CBD.

Here's another press I've been looking at. It might be a better choice since I'm just starting out.

Lockebox

Lockebox

I’ve been thinking about learning to make hash myself.

I Am very interested in the dry sift process and plan to learn more about it.

I was already on the fence about it, but I think this thread is a sign ✌🏻

I’ve got 6 plants coming down in a couple weeks maybe I’ll try on one or two if I get a screen

Latest posts

Top Bottom